DCS on a 55-inch 4K TV

There is always some time to get used to these larger screens. I used some hours flying to get used to the 40" also :) I bought a 28 inch side screen with Pivot to have as the daily work area. I intend to have that in portrait mode to show teamspeak, airport map and briefing. The larger screen is more for games and video :D

well I finally have it all set up and working I think. Now comes the problem.. With my previous surround setup, I had 3x 1920x1080 for the main display, and the additional USB screen for Helios next to it, effectively rendering a something like 7300x1080 pixels total resolution or so. meaning 7mill pixels, which my system could deal with.

Now, with the TV, I have 3840x2060 plus the USB screen to the right, resulting in a whopping total of 10,6 mil pixels. This my system cant deal with really.

How are you doing your exports when you use a 4k resolution? Is there a more elegant way than rendering over the entire screen area that the extended windows desktop gives you when you include your Helios screen?

I tried the UltraMFCD plugin but that totally does not work for me, I get massive delay on the USB screen and intolerable fps hit.

Guess I either have to ditch the 4k resolution or use Helios without the lua exports and just for the instruments?

Edited by EntropySG

you mean this one by chance?

PHILIPS BDM4065UC

Im seriously considering returning the TV and get this display instead, as it is a 'true' PC monitor with displayport connectivity which should solve all problems (plus, its cheaper than the TV!)

short update, I indeed returned the TV and got the Philips 4k montor instead. Works like a charm now! The picture of the TV is really a bit better, richer colors, better contrast etc, but in terms of functionality and response time, nothing beats a proper monitor. :)

Can only recommend this screen

• 5 weeks later...

Yesss, I did it!

I just ordered a curved 48" 4k Samsung :D

So no more messing around with my 4 27" screens... Although one was a touchscreen... Well, I won't gonna miss it, never really used it.

Can't wait for next week, awaiting longingly the guy from parcel service :D

By the way, anyone in need of some Benq 27" or a Dell touch 27"? :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Personally I wouldn't say it'd cause problems. Flight sims aren't exactly the most snappy things in the world.

Try starting and stopping a stopwatch reliably in 60ms. I think you'll find it's a pretty insignificant number!

476th vFG Alumni

Yesss, I did it!

I just ordered a curved 48" 4k Samsung :D

So no more messing around with my 4 27" screens... Although one was a touchscreen... Well, I won't gonna miss it, never really used it.

Can't wait for next week, awaiting longingly the guy from parcel service :D

By the way, anyone in need of some Benq 27" or a Dell touch 27"? :thumbup:

What is the point of 4K on just 48"?

48" is good with 1080p too. Point of 4K is to get large screen close so you don't see pixels. Smaller than 55" 4K loosing point. I think 34" Ultra Wide Curved 1440 monitor is better option than 48" 4K TV.

Don't get me wrong I'm personally like idea of 4K TV but best option will be 60" to 65" where 4K will show its full potential and advantages but not in just 48" where this advantages is reducing with size of the screen.

Telling me there is no difference between 4K and 1080p on a screen smaller than 50" is like telling me I can't see an obvious difference between 30 fps, 60 fps, and 90 fps. I can most certainly see the pixels at 1080p on a 46" LCD TV (my current PC monitor) or even a 24" monitor. I have been waiting for a big jump in resolution since I had gone to 1600x1200 in 2001. 1080p was actually a downgrade in the vertical... which matters for cockpit instruments. So for me there is very much a point of going 4K whether using a smaller 27" or a 48".

I will gladly go to 4K when I can play a sim like DCS with an affordable single-core gpu (<$400 and no sli hassles) at a steady 60 fps. I am not sure if I am going to go with a 50" (that will fit nicely in place of my 46") or try a 60". Depends on the prices when I finally go to get one. A matter of whether I prefer a larger field of view or smaller pixels for better looking cockpit instruments and distant aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is the point of 4K on just 48"?

Well my friend, if you are sitting just 50cm in front of the screen, you will definitely know the difference ;)

The difference to my 50" full HD in the living room (also with DCS installed on my little pc) is just WOOOW!!!

Also, I had 4x 27" before, with nearly the same resolution as 4k (all together of course), but with the constantly configuration and bezel correction problems...

Now it's just AWESOME with curved 4k and trackIR... Definitely worth the money/upgrade!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think only the occulus rift CV will top the immersion. Hopefully this is coming soon, can't wait :D

Edited by LNR212

LNR212 and streakeagle that is my point. 4K is so good and quality so you will be able to use 65" curved without any problem on 50cm distance. With larger screen and when you set up your FOV in game with larger screen you will have larger FOV.

For example let's take same distance from screen no matter on size. 48" will have 110° to approximate max 120° FOV but in same time without visual decreasing of quality 65" will have 170° FOV whot is much better. 48" is not showing full potential of 4K.

In next 6 to 12 months price of now some even 2 year old models will decreasing and 60 to 65" curved 60hz 4K will be affordable same as GTX 980 or R9 Fury and with such TV and GPU who will need Oculus or Vive.

That is my point, with little patience in next 12 months 65" curved 4kTV with proper GPU will cost same as today 48" 4KTV with same GPU.

Edited by wormeaten

That's a very nice screen! I just looked it up and in the UK it's £750 - that's around $1,140 - well out of my budget!

The thing that bowled me over is that you can buy it at John Lewis for that price - and if you want the HDMI cable, they have that, too, in a 'bundle'.

For an extra £50!!! :cry: (that's $76 - a very expensive cable!)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

LNR212 and streakeagle that is my point. 4K is so good and quality so you will be able to use 65" curved without any problem on 50cm distance. With larger screen and when you set up your FOV in game with larger screen you will have larger FOV.

For example let's take same distance from screen no matter on size. 48" will have 110° to approximate max 120° FOV but in same time without visual decreasing of quality 65" will have 170° FOV whot is much better. 48" is not showing full potential of 4K.

In next 6 to 12 months price of now some even 2 year old models will decreasing and 60 to 65" curved 60hz 4K will be affordable same as GTX 980 or R9 Fury and with such TV and GPU who will need Oculus or Vive.

That is my point, with little patience in next 12 months 65" curved 4kTV with proper GPU will cost same as today 48" 4KTV with same GPU.

OK, got you...

But I think (my personal opinion, maybe I'm wrong, can't proof it) everything greater than ~50" is then not sharp enough if you "zoom out" and change the system to a bigger fov. I can definitely see each pixel on my 48" due to the near distance I'm sitting in front of it. 4k will stay 4k, even on bigger screens just with bigger pixels... So my thoughts would be for bigger screens, 4k would be too less resolution at least. I could imagine that a normal distance from couch to big screen 4k TV everything is good, but not with approx. 50cm in front of it. I think about 50" is totally enough. It's really big if you sit in shorter distance to it :)

But you can of course tell me that I'm maybe wrong...

OK, got you...

But I think (my personal opinion, maybe I'm wrong, can't proof it) everything greater than ~50" is then not sharp enough if you "zoom out" and change the system to a bigger fov. I can definitely see each pixel on my 48" due to the near distance I'm sitting in front of it. 4k will stay 4k, even on bigger screens just with bigger pixels... So my thoughts would be for bigger screens, 4k would be too less resolution at least. I could imagine that a normal distance from couch to big screen 4k TV everything is good, but not with approx. 50cm in front of it. I think about 50" is totally enough. It's really big if you sit in shorter distance to it :)

But you can of course tell me that I'm maybe wrong...

In my pit my eyeballs are 28" (70cm) from my 55" 4k screen. NO hint of a pixel, ever.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Different people see different things.

On a conventional 20" to 27" PC montior, no resolution I have ever used (1920 x 1200 max) has been high enough for me to voluntarily turn off anti-aliasing. I can still readily see jaggies (pixellated edges). I haven't tried flight sims on a 4K monitor of any size yet. But I can easily simulate the experience by doubling the distance from a conventional 1080p monitor with the field of view set to 1/2.

Doubling the resolution is a huge improvement. But I can still easily make out jaggies and illegible text caused by pixels still being too large. Round gauges with needles, lines, and text are an easy test of resolution and anti-aliasing. Also, canopy frames tend to show the same limits. With an external view, the absence of advanced anti-aliasing settings become very apparent with decals, especially stars and bars or block lettering.

No fps I have ever been able to reach while using anti-aliasing at sufficient levels has ever been high enough for me. A smooth 60 fps looks very nice (but seldom if ever achieved on any of my machines with graphics settings the way I like them), but I can perform a simple aileron roll and see that the fps is not high enough by watching the horizon. It took 90 fps for me to really see smooth animation with a CRT. I have never seen more than 60 fps on an LCD with vsync enabled (an absolute necessity).

I can't imagine playing DCS a steady 120 fps on a 4K monitor of any size. But I can imagine that even as good as that would look, I could still want more and better, until the image and frame rate ultimately matches what I would see in real life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I need 2.0 cable my Tv is this model 42UB820V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi,

FYI as of this date there is no such thing as hdmi 2.0 CABLE just ensure that you don't violate the length requirements of HDMI 1.4 and get a reasonable quality cable ie not the cheapest though to be honest I tried to get the cables to 'fail' and the only one that didi not pass (sparkels on screen ....dropouts etc ) was 10m long! and you;ll be fine... DCS on an 80" LG screen is something to behold!!!:D

also a 960/70/80 card with hdmi 2.0 port will be req to deliver '4k' @60Hz :book: