Need advice from TM Warthog Extension owners

wasyl00

I'm planning to make stick enxtension for my lovely TM Warthog. Can someone who knows this subject advise me.

What is the sweet spot for the lenght of the extension ? I'm considering 3" (~ 8 centimetres),4" (~10 cm) or maybe 5" (~12cm). Does longer stick means more precision ? I keep the stick between legs so too much stick play will result in my hand hitting my legs all the time? I don't want to sit splitting my legs to wide for a few hours. Feels unnatural:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

Well my extension is around 7-8in and suits me fine and feels natural - don't need your legs too far apart either just change your axis settings

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Remember the longer the extension the more travel the top of the stick will have. You might want to rubber band a pipe, piece of wood or something else to the Warthog and see what the limits are before you start hitting stuff (including yourself), and what is comfortable for hand position.

Need advice from TM Warthog Extension owners

Thanks guys. Very useful tip to try some temp wooden stick first. I'll do that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

I found the most popular length was around 4". Mine is about 80mm and I like it, it's between my legs but not so much movement that I am hitting myself all the time.

The longer the stick then in theory the more precision but even the small 80mm is a huge improvement, it fixes the stiffness in the stick and allows you to make small adjustments easily with your arm, not your wrist.

I think 80mm is as good at 150mm as far as precision. Both are much better than stock. The length really depends on preference and what you are trying to do. Eg, floor mount it and you need a long extension. If you are happy to have the base high then you can go short and not worry about the wide throw the stick has and the loss of resistance.

Thanks metalnwood.

I too noticed that about 80mm is really what I need. Definitely I'll go for that one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Extension is around 25cm and I am very pleased with it. Both A-10, as well as for the Huey it works fine.

I changed the axis settings and don't have any problem with hitting my legs.

It is very precise especially for the Huey.

I like the low centering force. There is a little resistance in the center that let me know when the Stick is centered.

Who sells an extension these days?

I'm doing little research to find out how much would cost a small production run in UK. I already created drawings for my project and looking for someone to make it. Probably a guy with lathe. My main objectives to make it as one piece of metal threaded extension in reasonable quality and price.

If I manage to complete my project I will decently share it here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found the most popular length was around 4". Mine is about 80mm and I like it, it's between my legs but not so much movement that I am hitting myself all the time.

I know I sound like some childish school kid here, but that sentence so makes me smile.

Regards,

Milli

LOL @ Milli

I just realized :).. you are very naughty naughty wicked mind Milli !! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Project complete!

I have managed to complete my TM Warthog extension project. As planned it has been made out of single piece of metal, threaded on both sides with the modded ps/2 cable running through. The extension is (8cm ~3.15 inches) which is a sweet spot for me.

I already spent over 10 hours flying mainly A10C and a few in Huey and I must say I’m very happy with it. I removed axis curvature in settings completely as the stick’s precision increased. I noticed this especially when trying to fly in formation or in air refuelling when that small stick movement is especially required. Another benefit I noticed is that extension lessens effect of “snapping to centre position” when moving the stick through/or close to/ central detent. Larger arm requires less energy to move the stick which still with extra 80mm returns to central position quite easily.

I also made 10cm ~3.94inchs version and find them both equally good. The only difference of course is longer stick throw and smaller stick’s centering force.

I’m planning to make them available for sale very soon. For convenience I will place them on Ebay if anyone is interested. I’m located in London UK and will be able to ship it to UK/EU.

Prices for extensions will be:

80 mm extension alone = £35 + cable if required = £5 --> total £40

100 mm extension alone = £35 + cable if required = £5 --> total £40

Packaging &Postage = FREE in UK , probably around £6.40 to EU but will confirm

Any question = PM me.

Once I got everyting prepared I will place some info + link to Ebay in "For Sale" section.

Stay tuned.

EDIT: The extension allows installing the joystick in off-centre position. It is a very useful feature when joystick is placed between legs. It allows you to rest your hand more naturally on the joystick and lessen the tension.

EDIT 2: The extension mod does not require to make any modification to your TM:Warthog and can be de-installed easily. You are simply placing a piece of pipe and cable between stock parts.

EDIT 3:Added the installation movie:

Edited by wasyl00

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My extension is by 1PL_Sahaj it is 10cm which for my center mount setup is perfect and not too long where you end up putting to much stress on the neck.

Take a look at this thread

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/2042-selling-thrustmaster-warthog-extensions/

Not usre if he has any left but they are a great addition to a warthog I couldn't be without it now.

III/JG11_Tiger

I have managed to complete my TM Warthog extension project. As planned it has been made out of single piece of metal, threaded on both sides with the modded ps/2 cable running through. The extension is (8cm ~3.15 inches) which is a sweet spot for me.

I already spent over 10 hours flying mainly A10C and a few in Huey and I must say I’m very happy with it. I removed axis curvature in settings completely as the stick’s precision increased. I noticed this especially when trying to fly in formation or in air refuelling when that small stick movement is especially required. Another benefit I noticed is that extension lessens effect of “snapping to centre position” when moving the stick through/or close to/ central detent. Larger arm requires less energy to move the stick which still with extra 80mm returns to central position quite easily.

I also made 10cm ~3.94inchs version and find them both equally good. The only difference of course is longer stick throw and smaller stick’s centering force.

I’m planning to make them available for sale very soon. For convenience I will place them on Ebay if anyone is interested. I’m located in London UK and will be able to ship it to UK/EU.

Prices for extensions will be:

80 mm extension alone = £35 + cable if required = £5 --> total £40

100 mm extension alone = £35 + cable if required = £5 --> total £40

Packaging &Postage = FREE in UK , probably around £6.40 to EU but will confirm

Any question = PM me.

Once I got everyting prepared I will place some info + link to Ebay in "For Sale" section.

Stay tuned.

EDIT: The extension allows installing the joystick in off-centre position. It is a very useful feature when joystick is placed between legs. It allows you to rest your hand more naturally on the joystick and lessen the tension.

EDIT 2: The extension mod does not require to make any modification to your TM:Warthog and can be de-installed easily. You are simply placing a piece of pipe and cable between stock parts.

EDIT 3:Added the installation movie:

Nice work and the price seems good as well, for anyone with a warthog these are well worth the money IMO.

III/JG11_Tiger

Wasy100

Have you got your extensions up for sale yet?

I would like to order the 80mm one and the cable.

Great idea buddy....thanks for offering them.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I posted links to eBay listing in FOR SALE section. Follow the link below:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=121242

Thanks wasy

order placed :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Być może w Polsce wykonanie takiego elementu jest dosyć tanie. Niestety mieszkam w Londynie na stałe i elementy wykonywane są dla mnie na miejscu. Cena takiej lokalnej produkcji jest wielokrotnie większa niż w polskich realiach. Sorki ale za dużo mnie to czasu kosztuje żebym to robił za swoją kaskę. Pozdrawiam

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I posted links to eBay listing in FOR SALE section. Follow the link below:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=121242

Hi wasyl00

I got my 80mm extension today, through the post. Very pleased with it. With this and the "greasing up the warthog" mod, it now feels so smooth and precise.

Recommended to anyone who owns a TM Warthog. Thanks very much wasyl!

Regards,

Milli

Hi Wasyl!

How short can you make it, still functional with your (or any other) extenstion cable. i dont really need the extension, I am rather interested in the offset function instead.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз