Hi all

Hello all, I came across the DCS World when looking at flight sims on Amazon. I used to have Lock On, quite in depth game and hard to find the time to play.

Now looking at flight sims again while on xmas break, may not have much time after this break but looking to play a few games at least.

I see P51 etc on Amazon are £30 or more, are they the same as the download version on here which are a lot cheaper?

Not sure if you get DCS World with the CD versions hence more expensive?

I'm starting of with good intentions to play but who knows if I will, more time in the future hopefully when my twin babies are a bit older.

I have played flight sims since I had a ZX Spectrum in the 1980's, with X simulator and lock on type games they do need a lot of time which has always been my downfall, might still have lock on actually.

So I need to download the DCS world or would that be on my Lock On disc, never had to download the world to play that I'm sure, I am doing the download at moment, could be a while but should have all files on pc today.

From Lock On many years ago, to DCS World today, I have come full circle by the looks of it!

I have the Saitek X52 JS, is that good enough, or do their yoke type systems work better, any idea's?

I live about 5 miles from The Hardwick Warbirds and have a P51 or sometimes 2 that fly over every weekend except the 3rd Sat of every month where you can go and look at their aircraft.

It really is a privelage to have them fly right over your property I must say, I can hear the Merlin coming from way off, awesome.

The pilot was doing some swooping dives over us a few months ago, could hear the scream of the engine and whatever makes that noise, makes my hair stand on end!

Always heard that diving noise in movies and that time was the first time I've heard it first hand, it was incredible, shame we saw her near the end of the pilots 'play time'

and to boot it is a trainer so some lucky people have been up for a flight, it's something I wold love to do, think it costs a £750 'donation' but well worth it hey!

Thanks for any help and advice in advance!

Hi welcome to the forums.

I will attempt to help answer some of your queries;)

DCS world is a "world" that you buy modules for. So if you only download DCSW which is free, included is a free plane. SU25 IIRC.

The modules available are on sale ATM from ED's own store

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/ including the P51.

The X52 is a great setup for this game and until the B17 is released a yoke will not be useful.

There are also some excellent new modules soon(allegedly) to be released.

Including MIG 21B and Hawk.

Its a great time to join the DCSW/ED family:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the info!

I read it says 'Note: Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 will require an installation of Lock On: Modern Air Combat or previous version Flaming Cliffs.'

Do you know if Lock On Air Combat Simulation is the same or a required installation ffor FC3?

So even though I will of installed DCS World I couldn't then buy FC3, I would have to have Lock On Modern Aire combat or Combat Simulation installed too?

Seems a bit complicated now but sure it isn't.

Thanks,

WDW.

Should I install DCS World into the x86 program files or the default it has put of just the normal one C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World?

Just I see some add ons it says you need 64 bit so thought the DCS would need to be in the same?

Thanks!

Some say putting DCS in its own place on your drive is best (I still don't understand why) ie. C: Flight Sim or what ever name tickles your fancy. I have had no issues with allowing the default setup. And yes your ver. of Lock On will work. They are separate company license is the reason for the extra work.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

All default windows folders, including Program Files and Program Files (x86) have a more strict file system (NTFS) security and needs elevate rights in order to alter them. This is the main reason for what some older applications were not working properly. Lately, the developers learn how to deal this.

Anyway, as a good practice for programs like games is better to create another folder on any drive you like (eg c:\Games) an install all of them there. Nothing fancy.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

"Program Files (x86)" is a Separate folder created by Windows Setup to Distinguish between 32-Bit (x86) and 64-Bit Applications (x64). (for Example. Internet Explorer).

You can install DCSW Anywhere, I'd recommend the default location (/Program Files/) but /Games/ or /Eagle Dynamics/, /Flight Sims/DCS/ will all work too.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

To expand on what Skate said, the X86 folder is for 32 bit programs. The reason Windows keeps 32 bit and 64 bit programs in different folders is due to common files.

Some programs share the same library files. To keep from installing the same file over and over, Windows creates a common files folder where one copy is kept and shared by the apps that use it.

If you start mixing 32 and 64 bit apps in the same folder you could end up with 64 bit common files in the 32 bit common files folder or vise versa which could break some apps.

It's important you keep them in the right place.

Anytime you're unsure about an app you can install it so that it is not inside a program files folder. That will keep it from messing up the common files.

As also stated there can be permissions issues related to the program files folders depending on how you're Windows and logins are set up. If you install DCS World into the program files folder I recommend you always run it under admin level.

Right click the shortcut

Click properties tab

Click advanced button

Check run as administrator

Keep in mind which ever Windows user name you run it under a SAVED GAMES folder will be created for each user in that users folder. All your settings are in this folder.

Thanks for the info!

I read it says 'Note: Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 will require an installation of Lock On: Modern Air Combat or previous version Flaming Cliffs.'

Do you know if Lock On Air Combat Simulation is the same or a required installation ffor FC3?

So even though I will of installed DCS World I couldn't then buy FC3, I would have to have Lock On Modern Aire combat or Combat Simulation installed too?

Seems a bit complicated now but sure it isn't.

Thanks,

WDW.

It's a licensing requirement from Ubisoft, the original publishers of LOMAC. You have to install LOMAC before you install FC3. The FC3 installer will check to see if LOMAC is on your hard drive and then it will install. Once FC3 is activated you can delete LOMAC. Pretty straightforward.

Hey thanks everyone, very helpful :thumbup:

I've installed and begun my training, so I'm flying ok, slight issue with my Saitek scrolling the cursor left or turning my head left, sorted it out for a while and started the training which has been good, then it started doing that scrolling left again, exited to menu screen and I saw something about EU install, hit that out of curiosity and it's started doing an update, in the meantime opened Saitek profiler and that stopped the cursor scrolling for a while so I've hit the forum while the update is downloading.

I've asked Saitek about the issue as I remember it used to do that before, very annoying when you just want to stretch your wings.

I've installed Lock On Modern Air Combat and that reminded me of that horrible racket on the menu screen on that! lol, I'll see how I go with this DCS World and the free airplane that comes with it then hopefully enjoy and move onto FC3.

Enjoy :pilotfly: