Damper and friction effects in force feedback for Black Shark

average_pilot

jib, I did another version to see if the axes swapping is now correct and the spring stops while holding down the trim button.

If any of the axes is still inverted try to see which one, X or Y.

Remember that you have to use an actual joystick button. I mean, if you are using logitech's programming tool to send a 'T' with the trim button, my program won't catch any button press.

That same joystick button must be configured inside black shark as trim button.

Also, remember that you have to launch the program AFTER the mission is completely loaded. Or, if the program is already running, you have to select "Init DirectInput" in the Options menu to steal control of force feedback from black shark 2. But only after the mission is loaded.

Thanks for this, I havn't had a chance to test it (I saw the post when I was at work then forgot about it:doh:)

Hopefully I can test it out this weekend

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get this second version to run, it say msvrc100.dll is missing. it did this with the first one until i installed the Visual C++ Redistributable : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/the-program-cant-start-becuase-msvcr100dll-is/5c9d301a-2191-4edb-916e-5e4958558090

The older 64bit version works still but this new one doesn't.

Did you compile it in 64bit?

Thanks.

Jib.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• 1 month later...

average_pilot Thank you very much for posting an updated 64bit version the axis are now the correct way around:smilewink: and I really like being able to tweak the 3 different force feedback effects.

Unfortunately the simFFB app has the some problem with my G940 in that it will not release the pressure until the button is released:mad: it is probebly somthing in the driver that logitech needs to fix.

I you can think of a workaround that would be great!

Thank you!

Write a script that will rapidly press and release "t" when you press your trimmer button - maybe this will give you a smoother experience when moving the stick with pressed trim.

This is what I usually do.

But with average_pilot's program I will need to write something that repeatedly sends a joybutton 6.

Im not sure what program will do this perhaps joytokey?

Edited by jib

This is what I usually do.

But with average_pilot's program I will need to write something that repeatedly sends a joybutton 6.

Im not sure what program will do this perhaps joytokey?

Ahh -I forgot -that this was the starting point of your "journey" :)

Yes - Joytokey/Autohotkey/PPjoy are the obvious suspects for this job. You can choose by favour/liking.

• 2 weeks later...
average_pilot Thank you very much for posting an updated 64bit version the axis are now the correct way around:smilewink: and I really like being able to tweak the 3 different force feedback effects.

Unfortunately the simFFB app has the some problem with my G940 in that it will not release the pressure until the button is released:mad: it is probebly somthing in the driver that logitech needs to fix.

I you can think of a workaround that would be great!

Thank you!

What does it do exactly? What I'm understanding is: you press, no change. You release and the centring force disappears for an instant and returns.

Are you testing it first with Black Shark not running? What does it happen if you move the centring force slider to the minimum?

You shouldn't need any trick with the 'T' key if this ends up working as it should. And you should configure the joystick button as trimmer.

I think it is a problem with the G940 driver because it still happens when black shark is not running.

If you but the centering force to 0 it goes all sloppy.

If you are thinking what I'm thinking you could programmatically set the centering force to 0 when the button is pressed and put it back to the previous value when released to get around the driver problem.

I already did that in the last version. The most strange is that it calls the same code when moving the slider and when pressing the button. Maybe it's a problem with the way the driver reports the buttons state, and not with force feedback itself.

I'm thinking I could set a small value other than 0, like 10%, and see if it works.

And store the settings when closing the program.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks average_pilot! I downloaded this and it works GREAT with DCS:P-51 and my MSFFB2...

This is EXACTLY what MSFFB2 owners need; you should definitely put this up over at SimHQ or Hovercontrol. I'm actually looking forward to flying helo's in Arma2 now, as they used to suck with my FFB stick. :joystick:

Please continue to work on this project! I would definitely be willing to pay for more options!

Core i5 750 @ 3.4Ghz | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | ASUS P7P55D | ATI Radeon HD6970

Nice to hear you will revisit this.

As I already said ...

a ++ would be to implement the function to add four buttons to trim the stick gradually - so it is also usable for Fixed-wing .

And the GUI should look similar like this ;)

SimFFBGUI.jpg

Further :

Is it somehow possible to send different FFB commands to different controllers at same time... ?

I have in mind that this function would allow you to to build FFB rudders out of e.g. a Racing wheel.

( :P this would make things much easier for me... see what I'm planing to do to overcome this issue : http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1470471#post1470471)

Here is a another fictional GUI that reflects this idea :

SimFFBGUI-1.jpg

More ideas:

The program should maybe also have something like a timer to initiate (and/or a hotkey).

Means that you don't have to alt-tab any-more in DCS to restart the script.

So you start the program before a mission - and lets say, after 2min it initiates again.

Just in time when you are in the Cockpit.

Edited by PeterP

PeterP, the last thing I remember seeing on multiple FFB devices, was that TriggerHappy had determined that it would not work (as of BlackShark version 1). Like yourself, I was looking at adapting an FFB steering wheel to make FFB pedals to use in conjunction with an FFB stick to pursue getting a Force Trim setup working the way it ought to.

Perhaps E.D. has incorporated a remedy to that single FFB device limit, but if so, I'm unaware of it.

TriggerHappy's solution was to make controllers whose centering system could free float while the trim button was depressed, and lock down (via solenoids) when the trim button was released.

Currently, if I ever get off my butt, that would be the approach I would pursue also. Mine wouldn't be nearly as nice as TriggerHappy's though.

I like that rudder pedal design you posted that could accomodate both helicopter and fixed wing style trimming. Very nice concept!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 2 weeks later...

Thus you must merge controllers to get FFB function across controllers. It's the same problem joystick companies face and a remnant of older windows versions....something that has slipped through the cracks because MS no longer is in the FFB game. It's the same reason TARGET merges all controllers to 1. MOST modern day sims support multiple controls easily but poorly written games like battlefield only support 1 control. Currently all FFB implementations only support one control. maybe some ingenious programmer coud somehow use PPJoy or something similar to mix and match FFB controls and reprot them to windows as 1 unified control then it MIGHT work. You would have to make a custom device then a custom FFb file...

At any rate it would have to be a custom implementation. You wont get ED to rewrite the FFB standard thats been around forever and MS doesnt care...

Might be some help here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb153254(v=vs.85).aspx

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

• 4 months later...

It's really fantastic.

Has a reputation, a beer, or a donation. great job

In DCSW fixes a bug, but in X-Plane you added functionality Force-Trim. Incredible!

Without your permission I posted your program, in X-Plane.org forum.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=63292

Hope it's not an inconvenience.

I suggest you add a button to it;

Make a donation.

Greetings! :thumbup:

"If adventure is dangerous, try the routine. It is deadly."

Paulo Coelho.

Seeing that it's useful for some of you, I'm very sorry not being able to add features to my little program. Specially I'd like to find a fix for G940's strange behaviour.

I did one more thing to it. Now it saves options to a file so it loads them at start-up. I didn't post it here yet.

x-plane... is there people in that sect still?

• 3 weeks later...

surrender.gifПОС ЛИ ОБНОВЛЕНИЯ. Я НЕ МОГУ ПОЛЕТАТЬ, И ОТ DCS Я ПОМОЩИ НЕ ДОЖДУСЬ. ПАЦАНЫ ПОМОГИТЕ. ТАК ХОЧУ ПОЛЕТАТЬ. ОСЬ ПО КРЕНУ ТРИММЕРА ПЕРЕПУТАЛИ. ПРОГРАММУ Я ЗАПУСКАЛ НЕ ПОМОГАЕТ SIMFF!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DV2tHep6Yo

НА ВИДЕО В ПЕРВОЙ КА50 ВСЁ ОК. А ВОТ В КА50 WORLD.crash.gif

PIC whether the update. I CAN NOT fly, people help. So I want to fly. SHAFT TRIMMER messed up the roll. PROGRAM I run does not help SIMFF!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DV2tHep6Yo

VIDEO IN FIRST KA50 ALL OK. But in KA50 WORLD.

Edited by JEKA-KRbIM

Maximus V Gene Z77. I5 2500K 4.5GHZ.gtx 780 ti windforce. SAMSUNG 55 1920-1080+SAMSUNG 23 2048-1152 ШКВАЛ АБРИС. LOGITECH G940- ПЕДАЛИ С МИ-8. G930. TrackIR 5.

Which joystick?

G940. :smilewink:

The save function works perfectly.

The only thing is that I have detected a vibration when trimming in all back position.

If I can this weekend, I make a video to show it.

Thanks again for your work, greetings!

"If adventure is dangerous, try the routine. It is deadly."

Paulo Coelho.

• 1 month later...

The attachments link is no longer working for the 64 bit version any chance of a new link?

Thank's very much average_pilot.

I never got either version working properly on my windows 7 system, but now I have re-installed with windows 8 I works great!

I can fly my Black Shark again!:joystick:

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm way late to the party here, but I've just got to chime in and say this program is amazing. My G940 has never felt better. Truly an excellent job you have done, AP.

My only regret is that is doesn't seem to work with Take On Helicopters. I spent some time yesterday trying to get it working, but ToH just won't relinquish FFB control. The two programs just kind of fight each other and I never was able to figure out a way to completely kill ToH's FFB. WHat a shame, because this is really excellent. I give it an 11 out of 10.