Inflight Navigation

Inflight Navigation

My guess is it's not turned on properly. I don't remember all the switches that need to be set, but I think there was at least one switch on the lower right of the overhead panel, navigator (right) position.

Edit: also make sure you switch all the electrical switches on the overhead panel just to make sure.

Edit2: aaand I think there's two switches on the corner panel on both the navigator and pilot side.

• Like 1

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Are you doing a hot start? If yes, the hover and low speed indicator on the pilot's panel should work without any button switching (you should get an indication after you take off) and the position calculator after you press the ВКЛ (ON) button.

Edited by lmp
  • Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to explain the dopler guys.. it works a treat with taking 6 degrees off, pretty much spot on.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Hi Phantom, I have been flying the beta and when I went to test on the Latest release realized I have no controls mapped:mad: No time to do it ATM. Its half term holidays and we are full of holiday makers:). Try the solutions that Ragnar and Imp posted and please let us know the outcome.

Thanks and sorry for the delay in responding:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just tried the Doppler with the version matched to yours Phantom and it works fine. All I did to test it was the free flight. Switched it on set a course and deviated from it. All working perfectly.

Can I ask you to try this method and see if we can narrow the problem down to your startup sequence

Cheers Cib;)

• Like 1

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For all channels to work correctly better use these frequencies (rounded):

Channel 1 - 114.167 MHz (Cause the fixed freq is: 114.1666)

Channel 2 - 114.333 MHz

Channel 3 - 114.584 MHz (Cause the fixed freq is: 114.5836)

Channel 4 - 121.500 MHz

Channel 5 - 123.100 MHz

Channel 6 - 124.100 MHz

For the Pilot course deviation needle to become active the switch below it must be toggeled between VHF-MW back to VHF, otherwise it won´t be active.

FinnJ

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Just tried the Doppler with the version matched to yours Phantom and it works fine. All I did to test it was the free flight. Switched it on set a course and deviated from it. All working perfectly.

Can I ask you to try this method and see if we can narrow the problem down to your startup sequence

Cheers Cib;)

we I'm getting the numbers to move, but I'm not convinced the course setting is working correctly.

Just to confirm, the Mode Selector switch (behind the co-pilot's seat) has to be set to the right/ clockwise most setting as you look at it - lights off) - correct?

Thanks for your help guys - much appreciated

Well I seem to have finally got a grip on the doppler navigation system now. I think it was a case of reading too much into how the system (may) work initially, followed by a healthy dose of "not trusting my instruments" enough when I did get it working.

Had a bit more practice today and finished of with a five leg night navigation exercise over terrain I was unfamiliar with - and it worked a treat.

Just wanted to say thanks to Cibit, Ragnar & Imp for their advice and assistance. Much appreciated.

Glad you got it sussed. I think because it's fairly simple the natural reaction is that there must be more to it. I would be interested in trying your navigation mission if you would like to share. Better for learning because someone else has set it up rather than knowing what to do because you just did it in the ME :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS World Mi-8MTV2, ARK-9 and ARK-UD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH5SilSTx5M

Mi-8MTV2, R-828 Navigation (CTTS script) TEST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FrJdjrQ4nA

Mi-8MTV2, ARK-UD VHF Navigation, Kutaisi-Batumi (KTS-LU) and Transportation. CTTS - Complete Troops Transport Script v1.04:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7z8VrGhfDs

Edited by airwar

• 2 weeks later...
Both ADF are not working at the moment..

I use the Doppler System wich is a great navigation aid and extremly precise.

Check this to learn how to use it...

http://www.alasrojas.com/2.0/foro/download/file.php?id=242&sid=3ccb42a3b948361bfd3233fff2a388c5

Its very simple... you just have to know two things..

Direction to destination

Distance to destination

I get both of this in the Map with "F10" or trough the mission editor waypoint.

Thanks for the link and info.

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi gang,

I have a very simple guide to using the ARC-9 for direction finding. Can anyone take a look and see if it makes sense and can be followed. Any additions or corrections can be done as required

Mi-8MTV-2 Navigation guide Part 1.pdf

Edited by Cibit
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Cibit,

Good work, I'm sure the community will appreciate it! :)

Now to the nitpicking... :P

You didn't mention the frequency tune dial (next to the 100 kHz and 10 kHz rotaries). It's bugged right now, but you can't select a frequency that isn't a multiple of 10 kHz without it.

Switching the radio - intercom switch to radio isn't necessary. Since you don't want to transmit anything on that frequency, you can leave it in intercom.

You are a little inconsistent with your naming. You alternate between ARC-9 and ARK-9, and you use both Latin names for the switch positions (comp) and Cyrillic ones (РК1). I would suggest sticking with ARC-9 (because that's what's in the tooltips, otherwise I'd say ARK is the more proper transliteration), comp and RK1, and giving the Cyrillic names in brackets.

You set the ADF to receive on 430 kHz, not 430 MHz. And while we're at it, Hz should be capitalized, because it's named after a person, and the kilo- and mega- prefixes should be k and M respectively.

I understand you're trying to keep this as simple as possible, but maybe explaining that the Б - Д switch positions correspond to the left and right sets of frequency dials and rotaries would be a good idea. Knowing that you have two ADF channels available is handy ;).

Hope I'm not being too nerdy with all the spelling corrections :unsure:

• Like 1

I have a very simple guide to using the ARC-9 for direction finding. Can anyone take a look and see if it makes sense and can be followed. Any additions or corrections can be done as required

Wow, looks great, thanks! :thumbup:

I'd like to add to the nitpicking, though. :D

On the images, it's a bit hard to see which buttons/switches/dials you're referring to. The screenshots are quite zoomed out, and the fact that I can't read Cyrillic doesn't help. :)

As a suggestion, I would probably show one overview image with a highlight on the panels that will be used later on, and then zoom in a bit more on the actual screenshots. I'd also add some kind of pointer or highlight to point to the specific buttons/switches/dials in question and probably leave the mouse-hover-overlay out of the screenshots.

I'm no Photoshop expert, but I should be able to add some simple pointers or highlights; just give me a shout if you need a hand there. :)

• Like 1

Hi Yurgon,

I am a noob with photoshop so please could you do me a screenie with numbers to denote all the relevant dials and switches. I will then add a guide to explain each one and what they do:thumbup:

Send it to my email or attatch to post. Cheers pal:)

A reworked version to keep Imp happy;)

Mi-8MTV-2 Navigation guide Part 1 V2.pdf

Edited by Cibit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Send it to my email or attatch to post. Cheers pal:)

A reworked version to keep Imp happy;)

PM sent. :)

The tutorial is really great; while taking new screenshots I obviously had to try how it all works and figured that the ARC-9 is really simple to use. Another panel de-mystified, thanks! :thumbup:

Nice guide, thanks! Has anyone gotten custom radio beacons to work with this? Is it supposed to be AM and I don't add zeros or anything to the frequency in the ME?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Nice guide, thanks! Has anyone gotten custom radio beacons to work with this? Is it supposed to be AM and I don't add zeros or anything to the frequency in the ME?

Works fine with custom NDB:

DCS World 1.2.8 (OB), TOOTALL mission v3.2 (CTTS v1.04) - http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/431053/

Custom NDB with Morse code (CTTS v 1.04)

UH-1H / Mi-8MTV2 (ARC-9) - ADF/NDB Navigation Georgia:

BT - 353 kHz (Ali)

LU - 430 kHz (Batumi)

DF - 520 kHz (Mukharani)

VP - 342 kHz (Tbilisi)

TIG - 477 kHz (Kutaisi)

UY - 842 kHz (Kutaisi)

TI -156 kHz (Senaki-Kolkhi)

I - 229 kHz (Senaki-Kolkhi)

KT - 870 kHz (Kobuletti)

T- 490 kHz (Kobuletti)

UH-1H (CDI/FM) / Mi-8MTV2 (ADF/NDB):

LZ ALPHA - 30.1 MHz (AAA) / ARC-9 - 1100 kHz

LZ BRAVO - 30.2 MHz (BBB) / ARC-9 - 1120 kHz

LZ CHARLIE - 30.3 MHz (CCC) / ARC-9 - 1140 kHz

LZ DELTA - 30.4 MHz (DDD) / ARC-9 - 1160 kHz

LZ ECHO - 30.5Mhz(EEE) / ARC-9 - 1180 kHz

LZ GULF - 30.0 MHz (GGG)

LZ QUEBEC - 40.0 MHz (QQQ) / ARC-9 - 900 kHz

HOSPITAL - 50.5 MHz (1WT) / ARC-9 - 990 kHz

SAR PLB - 40.6 MHz (SOS) / ARC-UD (UHF/ДЦВ): Ch 1

Video Mi-8MTV2, how to use ARC-9 and DOPPLER SYSTEM (ДИСС-15), MEDEVAC:

Edited by airwar

Thanks! So what frequency do I set in the ME for it to work? IIRC it says "MHz" to the right of the box which would mean I can't set kHz frequencies???

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Thanks! So what frequency do I set in the ME for it to work? IIRC it says "MHz" to the right of the box which would mean I can't set kHz frequencies???

How to set FRQ:

via ME - 430 kHz

18f3dfc7ca6292c3e535a141489f229a.jpg

via script (CTTS v.1.04) - 477 kHz. You must put 0.477 !!!

9d27f86463295f34d05ce04edf33bd5c.jpg

CTTS 1.04

e90f33ffc7a90185bb9eef587a2bcfea.jpg

Edited by airwar
  • Like 1