DCS World and Multiple screen setups.

Cowboy10uk

Hi guys, Thanks for doing DCS World love the look and idea of it, just one question though, how will it work with regard to different multiple screen setups.

At the mo I have A10 with the mfds on my left and right screen.

BS and the p51 I fly with the complete cockpit on all 3 screens.

Will DCS world allow for individual setups on the screens as we do now in the individual program's, as well as individual control setups.

Or will I have to change my screen setup every time I change the aircraft I'm flying?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cowboy10uk

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Yes, really each aircraft needs its own file

Indeed. It would make sense to have a lua file (or any other format I presume, but since lua is already a known format it would make sense to re-use it) for every playable aircraft, and have the sim auto-decide which to use based on the selected aircraft.

I was just thinking about that. Each plane should have it's own complete profile, with controls, graphics, screen setup, sound, for that particular plane.

Or there will be a default screen layout for each plane and you just modify that once and it loads by default every time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hope no one minds if I Bump this, just in case Ed missed the question. Was hoping someone from Ed could provide us an answer to this, even if the answer is we don't know yet. I appreciate that it is still a Beta and things change all the time, but just trying to put my mind and others at rest by knowing Ed is aware and looking at multi monitor solutions.

My apologies if my bumping this upsets anyone, certainly not the intention.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

This one definitely needs attention from ED as now I relise even if we are now getting to join a mission in MP and pick an aircraft, we have to exit the game in order to change settings for monitor config every time we switch a plane, so it beats the purpose of being able to switch planes in mission without having to quit the game... with only single option available for monitor setup this becomes pain in the *** again :(

No longer active in DCS...

I think there is no much to worry about - I'm already on it - and I'm sure the DEVs too.

Right now I'm able to force different setting for the Su-25/P-51D

a key element is this tweak: instruction how to run the GUI in DCS:World always windowed while the Sim starts fullscreen

And each Module has a own "optionsData.lua" in

...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\P-51D\Options

as example.

so if there will be no change until final release I will write up my findings and happily share them with you.

- but right now it is too soon for sharing it and I'm still fighting with some bugs that needs some dedicated time to get things right.

I'm very optimistic that it will be no problem to set a dedicated screen-layout/resolution for each module in near future.

Edit: But changing the profile wihle in a MP session is sure a problem - you will need to restart the simulation and maybe lost you slot.... Don't know how to handle this. - only workaround is to have something like a reservation witch a 2min time-out to change the profile.. - or something like that.

Or you know which craft you want to fly or you have a dedicated all purpose profile if you want to switch between modules in MP...

As I said: I think it will be no problem to have a dedicated screen-profile for SP - but MP (as it is is handled now) is not possible to switch while a running session.

Edited by PeterP

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone that has A-10C and BlackShark installed in DCS:World make a test for me in MP?

(I don't have BS avaviable in DCS:World as I have the upgrade version)

The test goes like this:

Please follow the instruction to set up a MonitorSetup.lua that inherits settings for Ka-50 and A-10C.

found here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1466722#post1466722

Read post 17 +19 !!

Posting #19 has the needed files attached - please think of backing-up your old:

Mastiff,

It will not be ..., it is already .

Just edit the *init_.lua of Abris/Shkval like I suggest above and you can use one "Monitorsetup.lua" that serves them all!

Just use the attached files, I already deleted LEFT_MFCD,RIGHT_MFCD out of them.

So now you can write one file for KA-50 and A-10.

Copy ABRIS_init.lua in DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\Ka-50\Cockpit\ABRIS

Copy SHKVAL_init.lua in DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\Ka-50\Cockpit\SHKVAL

And use a "Monitorsetup.lua" similar like this (just put in you needed values):

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('One file to rule them all');

Description = 'One file to rule them all';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect;

}

}

GUI=

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

-- A-10C

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0;

y = screen.height -300;

width = 300;

height = 300;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = screen.width -300;

y = screen.height -300;

width = 300;

height = 300;

}

-- Ka-50

ABRIS =

{

x = screen.width -300;

y = screen.height -400;

width = 300;

height = 400;

}

Shkval =

{

x = 0;

y = screen.height -300;

width = 400;

height = 300;

}

UIMainView = GUI

But it is just silly that this isn't done by default in the init.lua...!

Edit: and use this tweak - to have the GUI always windowed - so you can easy switch between resolutions and/or monitor arrangements without the need to close DCS each time:Fix: adding a custom resolution to in-game options.

Further: So when you edit the MFCDs to in A-10C you would be able to only use the monitor-arrangement that you use for BS. And you won't need to switch between setting in MP.

Tip: So turn both screens in portrait and put them to the left, so you can use the smallest windowed in-game rese for DCS and try to live with a little smaller Shkval image.

Use this post of mine as guide-line:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1399384#post1399384

always try to get the smallest possible res!

You even can streamline it even more by using SoftTH - but this is discussed on other pages than this. >>> go this direction:http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1405898#post1405898

Attached Files lua.gif ABRIS_init.lua

lua.gif SHKVAL_init.lua

lua.gif One_file_to_rule_them_all.lua

Check if it loads as intended in both modules in SP.

Than Join a sever where Ka-50 and A-10 is available.

And see if the MFCDs / Shkval-Abris will be loaded as configured when you switch the slot/aircraft during one session.

Important! to get some reliable results: Use the files as I have made it - and run the test please in1024x768 windowed.

You can use attached mission for this test - It has three clients Ka-50/A-10C/P-51D.

For the A-10 the exports should look like this:

a.jpg

For Ka-50 like that:

Screen_120524_110001.jpg

Please report back .

Thanks!:)

And if it works and/or fails:

Please add all logs for that MP-session if you are able to do this.

Edited by PeterP

I'm trying it out now

wish me luck!

:joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Did now some similar test myself with a mission that has two clients in it .

A-10C and P-51D (remember I have the upgrade KA-50 - so I can't test it in DCS:World)

I also used a Modified "one rules them all.lua"

The special thing about this file is that I edited the init.lua of the P-51D Kneeboard to have it as additional view-port and to have it always on outside the cockpit, and also a copy of it on the right leg....

And It looked all very promising, so I can say that it is sure no problem to use different Exports e.g. Abris/Skvahl and MFCDs layout for different aircraft's during one MP session while switching planes/slots.

Here is a kind of "proof" - I was switching clients/planes and different parts of the MonitorSetup.lua where active.

And I'm sure it will work with the Ka-50 in the same way when the names of the view-ports are edited, so none of the different view-port/exports share the same name.

So ED only has to implement what I wrote up at Point #5 in this posting: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=88996

and a big chunk of our headaches are cured.

So now I'm very curious about your testing results with the Ka-50/A-10C.

(the instruction is in post #10 )

Edited by PeterP

RSHF P

what he said "RSHFT+P":joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

PeterP, the single monitor lue file for all aircraft works, I haven't been able to try in MP as 2 only servers availlable in 1.1.2.1 have P-51D flyable only, but I don't see why it shouldn't work in MP also.

Do me a favour:

Use the mission file from post #10 and switch clients in-game via the briefing-menu. This petty well simulates the conditions of a MP session.

Thanks.

edit: And if possible :can you add the logs of this test?

If this works - there is one thing less to worry about! :)

Edited by PeterP

MP works fine also, I got into A-10C, started it up and MFD's were they were suposed to, then I got into P-51D started it up and no issues (main screen only), then I tried Ka-50 also started it up and Abris and Shkval were showing where they're suposed to... so it all works good :) No errors/warnings etc

What logs do you need, I'll make another test and get fresh logs (I deleted existing log files)

Fine - so it works!:)

C:\Users\>username<\Saved Games\DCS\Logs\dcs.log

Every mission creates a new "dcs.log" - so I want to have a look at your last one/newest one.

Preferable from a mission where you just jump in the A-10C , than instantly jump out again and go in the Ka-50.

and then end this mission (so it is very short and only contains relevant data).

I just want to see the the calls when switching between A-10/Ka-50

(reminder: I have the upgrade KA-50 , so I cant install it in DCS:World)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Any Progress here?

Installed World (+A-10 +CA) today. Including my old controller-profiles went fine, but seems like the monitor-setup .lua does not work correctly. It's causing a crash, everytime I try to start a mission.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

There has been changes to the keys lua and its not advisable to import the old monitor lua. I had to start from scratch.

everything is working now.

Also some keys in the controls set up stop working for some reason and you have to go reassign them.

Wheres PeterP When u need him. The Upgrade version for BS is compatible now... what are the results. I'm not going to mess with world until all the bugs are worked out.

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series