Fix: adding a custom resolution to in-game options.

Edit:

This all works also in DCS World 1.2.1

So you don't have to edit your options.lua again after switching.

This works with all DCS engine simulations - I tested this in build 1.1.1.1 with A-10C and BS2.

This is helpful for cockpit builders with a custom windowed resolution and/or 3DTV/SoftTH users.

To make a custom resolution always selectable from the in game drop-down menu you have to edit :

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\>your DCS simulation<\MissionEditor\data\scripts

optionsData.lua with a proper editor (Notepad++).

Always make a backup of the file before you edit!

and change it like I show starting at line # ~ 356 and look out for "resolution"

before:

resolution = {

__value__ = '1024x768',

control = 'combo',

values = {},

after:

resolution = {

__value__ = '1024x768',

control = 'combo',

values = {

{ id = "1280x720", dispName = "3DTV 1280p"},

},

Now you should be able to select "3DTV 1280p" whenever you like.

"1280x720" and "3DTV 1280p" is only a example!

You can set in your needed resolution and name it how you wish. - just make sure it is legit!

You even can add multiple custom resolutions.

This would look like this:

resolution = {

__value__ = '1024x768',

control = 'combo',

values = {

{ id = "3840x2160", dispName = "All screens/Helios"},

{ id = "1280x720", dispName = "3DTV 1280p"},

{ id = "600x400", dispName = "Too small for nice view"},

},

On a related note:

You can also add custom aspect ratios that are not selectable by default - you may want to use it because you scale 1280x1024 pixels on a native 1920x1080px monitor.

Do this in the same file beginning in line # ~400 and look out for "aspect"

aspect = {

__value__ = 1.333333333,

control = 'combo',

values = {

{ id = "4:3", dispName = "4:3"},

{ id = "3:2", dispName = "3:2"},

{ id = "5:4", dispName = "5:4"},

{ id = "16:9", dispName = "16:9"},

{ id = "16:10", dispName = "16:10"},

{ id = "22:10", dispName = "SoftTH"},

},

You can see I added 22:10 and called it SoftTH.
Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

Nate - I heard this very often , but it is not possible on every windows build.

(I don't want to go in too much details here - but I lost this feature after switching my standard language from German to English..., and there are even more situations that causing this.)

And I made this post mainly to show cockpit builders how to ad a custom setting permanently - without the need of typing. ( some have a fully click-able cockpit - and it is sometimes very inconvenient to pull out the keyboard every time you want to start DCS.

I ,for instance, use a very smaller resolution for the mission-editor - so I have to switch often between my "sim-fullscreen" and "editor-windowed" resolution .

And when you make a typo (12800 instead 1280) and enter it without a second look, you can make the whole program go FUBAR - and only the task-manager will help you to get back to your desktop.

:)

... and I have to admit that I was sitting at the fence to wait for the first poster that suggest to just typing the resolution in... :P

To make a custom resolution always selectable from the in game drop-down menu you have to edit :

Edited by PeterP

• 2 weeks later...

Edit:

This all works also in DCS World 1.2.2

on a related note:

This is an instruction how to run the GUI in DCS:World always windowed while the Sim starts fullscreen:

This is how it's done:

Navigate to ...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\MissionEditor

and open the MissionEditor.lua with a proper editor (Notepad++)

Make a backup of this file before you change it!!!!!!

Than go to line #195 (this can be a other line number with each new DCS update - so please just search for the contend)

and change it from this:

return width, height, fullscreen

to this:

return 1024, 768, false

1024x768 is an example - You can put in your wished resolution for the windowed GUI.

Just make sure your height is smaller as your over all res e.g. for a screen that is 1080 in height use 1020 - so the Launcher will be windowed .

(subtract always at least the height of the top bar of the window from your overall available height.)

Now every-time you start DCS-World the GUI will be windowed in the resolution you have set. But the Simulation will start as set in the options-menu .

Edited by PeterP

• 2 months later...

In all DCS versions I get these HUGE scrollbars on the right side they cover the ping in multiplayer server browser.

I also get them in server player list also anytime you touch the scrollbar the players names disappear. I realise one is GUI and 1 is mission editor but the problem is the same.

Running (3) 1920 x 1080 monitors 5880x1080 bezel corrected , using your GUI fix in monitor config and also using the mission editor fix.

Also some of the fonts are out of place and letters drop off.

Any ideas?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

If you watch closely it is actually shifting them to the right, beyond the boundaries of the window and underneath the scrollbar. I really wish the UI would scale properly like a spreadsheet or webpage but alas everything is hard coded and has to be hand tweaked.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

I have always got the problem that when in MP and you scroll the names for the slots dissapear. A real PITA as you then have to trial and error until you get a free slot that puts you in a cockpit.

This thread only refers to the "launcher" GUI...

Check this :Fix for misplaced/stretched MP and Mission Gui - also for BS

Maybe it will fix it for you - as the MP GUI is part of the Simulation and not of the launcher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Sorry I do not know the steam file system, and this might not be helpful as many like there steam versions

If it was me I would download from DCS web site and don't use the steam version

( Did you know you can use your key in your steam version to download and install from this site ? )

It would make following advice here easy for you.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sorry I do not know the steam file system, and this might not be helpful as many like there steam versions

If it was me I would download from DCS web site and don't use the steam version

( Did you know you can use your key in your steam version to download and install from this site ? )

It would make following advice here easy for you.

So I can use my steam key to download Blackshark directly from DCS?

I appreciate this PeterP but for some reason my PC won't run DCS World. Details are here. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=91613 You seem to be a bright fellow, maybe you have an answer.

StiC

• ED Team

yes

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

yes

Are you sure?

All the searching I've done trying to find my steam key has revealed several posts indicating it isn't possible. I downloaded and installed anyway hoping BS would find the key on it's own, but no such luck. If you can point me to a guide I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, StiC

Are you sure?

All the searching I've done trying to find my steam key has revealed several posts indicating it isn't possible. I downloaded and installed anyway hoping BS would find the key on it's own, but no such luck. If you can point me to a guide I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, StiC

Yes. This works. To find your steam key, first the product must be installed under Steam. Go to your library and right click on BS. The menu that comes up will have a selection for your key. If the product is not installed that menu selection will not be there.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes. This works. To find your steam key, first the product must be installed under Steam. Go to your library and right click on BS. The menu that comes up will have a selection for your key. If the product is not installed that menu selection will not be there.

The option isn't there. I wish it was that simple, I wouldn't have to bother you people. Perhaps having the digital version vs. retail doesn't produce a product key.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This is an instruction how to run the GUI in DCS:World always windowed while the Sim starts fullscreen:

This is excellent, thank you!

I've tweaked my version slightly to improve the experience. In MissionEditor.lua I set the screen size to 1920x1040 windowed (the height is 1080 minus the height of the win7 task bar) as per PeterP's post, then I use AutoHotkey with the script below, which will detect the DCS World window, remove the Windows title & border, and move it to fill my middle monitor entirely (except the win7 task bar), giving the appearance of almost full-screen. You'll need to tweak the values on line ~28 of the script to fit your monitor configuration. See the comments in the script.

If you set your win7 task bar to autohide you could make the DCS window fill the middle screen entirely (just change the 1040 in the AHK script and in MissionEditor.lua to 1080).

Caveat: I'm no AHK expert (the script is adapted from one I found for Skyrim) so use at your own risk, but it's working fine for me.

AutoHotKey script:

#SingleInstance Force
#Persistent

; Check every 1 second
SetTimer DCS, 1000

Return

DCS:
  ; Find the DCS world window
  WinGet IDs, List, ahk_class DXGUI Window
  Loop %IDs%
  {
     ID := IDs%A_Index%
     If ID not in %Old_IDs%
     {
       WinActivate ahk_id %ID%

; Remove window border & title
     	WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A

; Reposition the window
;  2064 = X position for DCS Window, = x pos of my middle monitor when in Eyefinity mode (1920 + bezel compensation border)
       ;  0 = Y position for DCS window
;  1920/1040 = dimensions for DCS window - should match values in MissionEditor.lua, lines 244/245
WinMove, A, , 2064, 0, 1920, 1040

WinActivate, A
     }
     New_IDs .= ID ","
  }
  StringTrimRight Old_IDs, New_IDs, 1
  New_IDs =
Return

Edited by davedontmind
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
Edit:

This all works also in DCS World 1.2.1

So you don't have to edit your options.lua again after switching.

This works with all DCS engine simulations - I tested this in build 1.1.1.1 with A-10C and BS2.

This is helpful for cockpit builders with a custom windowed resolution and/or 3DTV/SoftTH users.

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\>your DCS simulation<\MissionEditor\data\scripts

optionsData.lua with a proper editor (Notepad++).

Always make a backup of the file before you edit!

and change it like I show starting at line # ~ 356 and look out for "resolution"

before:

after:

Now you should be able to select "3DTV 1280p" whenever you like.

"1280x720" and "3DTV 1280p" is only a example!

You can set in your needed resolution and name it how you wish. - just make sure it is legit!

You even can add multiple custom resolutions.

This would look like this:

On a related note:

You can also add custom aspect ratios that are not selectable by default - you may want to use it because you scale 1280x1024 pixels on a native 1920x1080px monitor.

Do this in the same file beginning in line # ~400 and look out for "aspect"

You can see I added 22:10 and called it SoftTH.

Is there any update on this. I would need this fix, but I can't find "optionsData.lua" in that folder. I searched for this file in other locations, but none has the structure to add custom resolutions.

Is there any update on this. I would need this fix, but I can't find "optionsData.lua" in that folder. I searched for this file in other locations, but none has the structure to add custom resolutions.

I'm fairly new to this myself and it looks as though things may have changed. I can't guarantee anything but I doubt it will do any harm to try. Under windows 7 there is an options.lua in your folder :

C:\Users\[your_name]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\.

MAKE A COPY OF options.lua FIRST!

Open it with Notepad++

Find the ["graphics"] = { section and in there you will find entries for

["height"] = [enter your resolution height here]

["width"] = [enter your resolution width here]

Whether this makes the entries appear on the Options selection list I don't know but I think it will force the resolution you want. I did have the resolution I wanted on the list (probably because it is in my Windows screen setup) and, having selected it, it now appears into that options.lua file so it looks as though that list is just a pick list for writing values to the options.lua file.

If it doesn't work, just restore the copy of options.lua.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Thanks for effort, but it didn't help. After I switch back i have only default resolutions. I have no problem manually selecting my resolution, the problem is that when I switch from single to multimonitor I have to calculate screen width manually. I will probably put a sticker with numbers on my monitor:lol:

This optionsData.lua got moved somewhere else apparently and I can't find it.

Thanks for effort, but it didn't help. After I switch back i have only default resolutions. I have no problem manually selecting my resolution, the problem is that when I switch from single to multimonitor I have to calculate screen width manually. I will probably put a sticker with numbers on my monitor:lol:

This optionsData.lua got moved somewhere else apparently and I can't find it.

I found optionsData.lua under the various Mods aircraft folders:

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\[P-51D**]\aircraft\Options\

**or other a/c you have

but it only contains brief information:

====================

cdata =

{

P51D = _('P-51D'),

AUTO_RUDDER = _('AUTO RUDDER'),

TAKE_OFF = _('TAKE-OFF ASSISTANCE')

}

====================

There is also one in:

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\WWII Units\Options\ (perhaps because I got the Kickstarter P-51D ?) containing:

==============

-- default values

defaults =

{

altTrimmingMethod = {

__value__ = false,

control = 'check',

--hidden = true,

},

}

function init(a_lang, a_env)

if (a_lang == 'ru') then

end

end

==============

but none of those offer the options you are looking for.

I assume that the resolution you are looking for doesn't exist under [Desktop right click]... Screen Resolution options, if it does it should show up. If it doesn;t perhaps you could create a custom resolution in there?

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Yes, there is something mystical in it. Maybe DCS uses the res defined by windows. But you can type in res manually if it´s above ?x700 or so. Config file is gone so far - can´t find anything via in-file-search containing my exampleresolution. Am I wrong??

Waiting for the return of: -TLP- -True LAN Play- Multiplayer without permanent internet connection to ED master-server. Plane wishlist: Antonov - AN-2