Dont buy a GTX 1080 for DCS VR

WindyTX

FWIW

I installed a GTX 1080 today.

Max GPU usage I see is 25%

Max CPU Usage 70%

Skatezilla has an explanation out there but If you buy a GTX 1080 upgrade vs a GTX 980 I see no perceptible difference.

My GPU usage has just dropped from 45% to 25%

Please see my later post . Upon more testing there was some unexpected bonuses

Edited by WindyTX
New Settings advised it does have some Rewards

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

In another thread, I invited the developer to adopt the new VRWorks, which will basically double the frame rate in VR... it works on the serie 10 nvidia cards.

Maybe it's not tomorrow.. but first or late, any of us will own a 1070/1080/1080Ti card... so it makes sense of adopt this new technology IMO.

ED isn't likely to do it because VR Works is Nvidia specific. While I certainly would not complain since Nvidia is all that I use but I don't see it happening.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

ED isn't likely to do it because VR Works is Nvidia specific. While I certainly would not complain since Nvidia is all that I use but I don't see it happening.

75% of the circulating graphics cards are nVidia... and the serie 10 cards will be the new 970/980, do not apply a technology that would give ad advantage to the 75% of your user base isn't a smart decision.

But the real question is: what's the downside? The real/tech downside, not the speculations.

75% of the circulating graphics cards are nVidia... and the serie 10 cards will be the new 970/980, do not apply a technology that would give ad advantage to the 75% of your user base isn't a smart decision.

But the real question is: what's the downside? The real/tech downside, not the speculations.

I am not arguing the merits of using it. I am saying that ED is not likely to.

The downside is (no speculation here) that it takes time to code and that costs money with literally no tangible return on investment.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Because there are open source solutions that would work on DX11 as a Whole.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I think Oculus Dropped the ball w/ Runtime 1.4.

Alot of Users cant even install the Software because some items are on the "black List" and setup will refuse to run.

etc.

My entire system except ram and USB3 card are black listed, lol, but I'm fine, w/ exception of their GPU throttling that got 100x worse w/ 1.4.

Alot of people are having issues w/ GTX10x0's, but I think once they update to 1.4.x Runtime or 1.5 Runtime those issues will be fixed.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

In another thread, I invited the developer to adopt the new VRWorks, which will basically double the frame rate in VR... it works on the serie 10 nvidia cards.

Maybe it's not tomorrow.. but first or late, any of us will own a 1070/1080/1080Ti card... so it makes sense of adopt this new technology IMO.

no no and no. anyone who buys a FE is a nvidia Sucker. hook line and sinker.

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

Damn, I was really hoping to keep things above 45fps more consistently by getting a 1080. I find it hard to believe there's not an increase in performance, thanks for letting us know.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

Damn, I was really hoping to keep things above 45fps more consistently by getting a 1080. I find it hard to believe there's not an increase in performance, thanks for letting us know.

well DCS isnt just about video card, you should be able to keep above 45FPS with a good system.

CPU/RAM/SSD have alot to do with FPS and DCS.

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

I didn't think it would be so CPU dependent, but then again it's not your standard first person shooter is it. Maybe it's time to OC again hah.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

The 1080 is a beast card, and will eventually give better than we've seen so far fps in dcs, if someone makes a CPU fast enough that it'll be the 1080 dragging the system down.

And "if dcs used this or that" and "draw calls blah blah blah"don't change facts, like that dcs WILL run faster with a faster than current CPU.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The downside is that developer time is not infinite. Even if you find the engineers to write the code, you now need QA to spin up to test the dependencies. And then you have to write one for AMD/ATi. Then you have to QA that as well. And maintain the current "generic" driver. There is lot of overhead to maintaining sourcecode, forking it, QA'ing it etc.

While as NVidia owner (switched many years ago) I would like custom support, I can see why ED would be hesitant.

Ultimately, the market will decide. If Prepare3D (for example) steps up, and makes drastic changes, DCS users may move over.

Finally, the title should (?) be "don't upgrade to 1080 from 980Ti/Titan/980." It'd be to not buy it if you are in the market. It's cheaper and more powerful, after all.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The 1080 is a beast card, and will eventually give better than we've seen so far fps in dcs, if someone makes a CPU fast enough that it'll be the 1080 dragging the system down.

And "if dcs used this or that" and "draw calls blah blah blah"don't change facts, like that dcs WILL run faster with a faster than current CPU.

As nVidia tweaks their drivers would prolly do the most.

Well, that sucks if it's true. I have a 5930k and a 980 right now. I have already ordered a 1080 (for DCS, but also for VR in general). I was really hoping it would make a difference, but I didn't think to check to see if my CPU was the bottleneck.

2.0 is basically unplayable on the Vive for me in any area that is populated. 1.5 is rough too if the settings are much above low.

With the laundry list of planned features on their roadmap, I doubt very much we'll see many improvements anytime soon where VR is concerned.

:(

We may or may not see much difference between a 980Ti and the 1080 in regards to frame rates in DCS at this time. This will improve somewhat as the drivers improve. "BUT" The main performance enhancement on the new 1080's is its included new VR hardware parts. This alone would make a huge difference in the VR performance in complex sims like DCS, almost doubling frame rates. I know some AMD forums members will say VRWorks/Nvidia/DCS can't do this, and can't do that, but the DCS development team would be fools not to atleast look at the possibility of amending their software to take advantage of the 1080's VR hardware.

OK I ran some tests.

Settings All set low preset then I changed

Medium Textures

Medium Visible Range

MSAA 4

Anti aliasing Off

Clutter minimum and Trees at 1500

Flat Shadows

1st on F15c instant action

Pixel 2.0 I got 90-45-30fps for 95% dropped to 10 FPS as the bombs hit the airfield.

Card ran up to 100% during that time and was averaging nearly 50% so about 15% more utilization.

Pixel 0 results were almost the same frame rate wise just less utilization still dropped to 10 FPS and maxed out the Card .

I could see no perceptible difference in the cockpit.

Ran 2.0 on A10c instant action wow I can read the hud. Frame rates stuck at 45-90fps Utilization of the 1080 was running around 60% around the town.

When I fly the A10c I will definitely be increasing the pixel density it looks to be an almost no cost Item with a GTX 1080

Overall it was a great VR time especially in the A10c with Pixel density 2.0

I have been using VR for 2 years and to finally be able to read the A10 HUD was a godsend.

The only Judder I got was when the bombs hit the Airfield May have maxed out my Processor.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

We may or may not see much difference between a 980Ti and the 1080 in regards to frame rates in DCS at this time. This will improve somewhat as the drivers improve. "BUT" The main performance enhancement on the new 1080's is its included new VR hardware parts. This alone would make a huge difference in the VR performance in complex sims like DCS, almost doubling frame rates. I know some AMD forums members will say VRWorks/Nvidia/DCS can't do this, and can't do that, but the DCS development team would be fools not to atleast look at the possibility of amending their software to take advantage of the 1080's VR hardware.

Fact!

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Something correct, something not.

First the 1080 is true a good 25% faster than a 980Ti in every DX11 appliance, you don't need to optimize anything for it, it's just like that.. the issue here is that neither the 980Ti is used 100% in DCS. It's not a driver issue, it's a game issue.

You are correct about the VR performance, you are probably referring to VRWorks, that we're discussing here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2802277&postcount=19

Something correct, something not.

First the 1080 is true a good 25% faster than a 980Ti in every DX11 appliance, you don't need to optimize anything for it, it's just like that.. the issue here is that neither the 980Ti is used 100% in DCS. It's not a driver issue, it's a game issue.

You are correct about the VR performance, you are probably referring to VRWorks, that we're discussing here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2802277&postcount=19

There is no doubt that the 1080 could be 25 percent faster in many software cases. Some are suggesting they aren't seeing any increase in DCS. I was suggesting that the most important part of these new cards, is its VR hardware,, which could amount to much more than 25 percent increase in framerates in VR. I did mention VRWorks in my post, but the question is how, or if DCS take advantage of this software to enable the VR hardware on the card. Since VRWorks is just software, it could be doable, if it isn't too costly in time/money.

There is no doubt that DCS needs many optimizations, but improved GPU drivers can help. There are always multiple factors in regards to software performance.

Edited by Chivas

• 4 weeks later...