How to achieve stunning graphics & high FPS with a 1080Ti?

Hello good folks,

Have been envious of all the videos from WAGS considering how stunning the visuals look in all of his videos. Spent a BOMB! Got myself a GTX 1080Ti hoping this would help me achieve the WAGS' look of DCS. Jacked up all the settings to MAX. But am kinda nowhere close. Am I missing something? A 4K display perhaps? But the point is that my frame-rates are still not all that impressive with the 1080Ti running on a 1080 Benq display.

Any tips/tricks to achieve stunning graphics and high frame rates? My rig config is in my signature below.

Thanks in advance!

|| नभ स्पर्शं दीप्तम् || - Touch the sky with glory

1) I hope you have defered shading on

Yes it's on in NTTR. Caucasus doesn't give this option.

2) Turn shadows to mid or low. If you want to have good fps, i recommend you to lower some stuff like grass, visibility range and loading radius.

Roger.

Before you try that, turn HDR, AA and MSAA off.

Won't this make everything look jaggedy?

I'm running a 1070 so for sure not close to 1080Ti. After playing a lot with the settings in a recent version I can get a good performance for both NTTR and Normandy.

1) Deferred shading - with PBR DCS looks just great, though it comes with a huge performance hit. Still it's manageable to run DCS with it

2) Turn off the antialiasing in game - even 2x makes a substantial impact

3) Anisotropic filtering - can be set to 16x. I didn't see much of a performance difference in last version

4) Turn down the AI traffic, possibly to Low or Off

5) Setting a Tree and grass Visibility makes a huge impact, especially on Normandy. I can run ok with it using (if I recall correctly) 8000 for trees and 800 for grass.

6) Preload radius - actually can be increased on systems with high RAM. Helps to remove stutters.

7) Turn off the depth of field settings

8 ) All other settings I generally run on "High" - as by loading "High" preset for all of the options.

9) Settings in NVIDIA control panel - separate topic. All anti-aliasing settings set to be used as in-game.

With those settings in 3440x1440 I can get 40 FPS while in Spit on the ground and over 100 when in air. No stability or stuttering issues.

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Hi,

I get stable 60 fps (vsync on) using the hw and settings from my signature. I noticed that explosions and smoke have a huge impact on fps.. as they're still work in progress.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I'm running a 1070 so for sure not close to 1080Ti. After playing a lot with the settings in a recent version I can get a good performance for both NTTR and Normandy.

1) Deferred shading - with PBR DCS looks just great, though it comes with a huge performance hit. Still it's manageable to run DCS with it

3) Anisotropic filtering - can be set to 16x. I didn't see much of a performance difference in last version

5) Setting a Tree and grass Visibility makes a huge impact, especially on Normandy. I can run ok with it using (if I recall correctly) 8000 for trees and 800 for grass.

6) Preload radius - actually can be increased on systems with high RAM. Helps to remove stutters.

8 ) All other settings I generally run on "High" - as by loading "High" preset for all of the options.

9) Settings in NVIDIA control panel - separate topic. All anti-aliasing settings set to be used as in-game.

With those settings in 3440x1440 I can get 40 FPS while in Spit on the ground and over 100 when in air. No stability or stuttering issues.

Where is this PBR you're talking about I can not find this setting in the GUI.

I can't seem to enjoy with anti-aliasing

& Anisotropic filtering on anything but MAX.. I don't like any jaggies! lol

+1 on;

#6 (max for me, 32g)

#8 (never turn "textures" down from HIGH if you can help it. It affects the cockpit big time. If you fly high, you can lower terrain texture a tad bit if needed but that goes against your purpose)

Draw distance can be lowered based on the style of game-play.. something to consider.

EDIT: I see now, Turn antialising & Anisotropic filtering off w/Deferred shading. (Ill have to go try that and see how it is, I dont use it.)

Edited by SharkBaztard

Try overclocking your CPU too.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How clean is your install? How old is you install? Do you run a lot of mods? what drivers are you running? What are you basing FPS on ? what res are you running at? all of that comes in to play as well as your head tracking fps w/ fps w/o ? :D

Edited by slowhand

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

How clean is your install? How old is you install? Do you run a lot of mods? what drivers are you running? What are you basing FPS on ? what res are you running at? all of that comes in to play as well as your head tracking fps w/ fps w/o ? :D

Hey there, My install is clean - I recently repaired! The original install was from an year back, but I have always updated whenever an update is out. Have never ever run any mods. All the Nvidia drivers are current - just bought the 1080ti! Running at 1080 resolution - that's what am basing my FPS on.

what are you getting for Frames? what are you looking to pull?you can set your game to run at a set FPS.

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

what are you getting for Frames? what are you looking to pull?you can set your game to run at a set FPS.

Currently about 50 on ground and 100 in air. Want to run at an avg of 100 throughout without compromising on visual quality.

Are you running DCS on an SSD? also try setting your max frames to about 80 fps and see how it runs you do that in your graphics.lua in your config file of DCS use notepad ++ to edit:thumbup:

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

Are you running DCS on an SSD? also try setting your max frames to about 80 fps and see how it runs you do that in your graphics.lua in your config file of DCS use notepad ++ to edit:thumbup:

Yup. Running it on a Samsung EVO SATA SSD. 80FPS? Isn't that too low? Am talking about an avg of 100! Call me greedy!

LOL, naw just in love..:megalol: I would start at 80 max fps and build from there, you want to find the sweet spot :thumbup: the game itself is set to max 180 fps which means the card can and will spike. Set for a lower cleaner speed will reduce the spike and give you a better over all speed and that may be what you are looking for?

Edited by slowhand

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

Currently about 50 on ground and 100 in air. Want to run at an avg of 100 throughout without compromising on visual quality.

For DCS 1.5 best use of graphics card GTX 980 nothing better makes no sense. You need to move to a more functional engine DCS 2.1.1 which graphics can properly utilize. When switching between the versions is to see the huge difference where the 1.5 utilization 50% max, against the 99% in the latest build 2.1 and the same thing applies for the processor who is also a need to take advantage of.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

• 2 weeks later...

New build and still tweaking

I just finished a new build and still trying to get a smooth rate in DCS Open Alpha and I nearly got it with settings very close to what you described above firmek but it's just not quite perfect yet. That whole Nevada map is pretty impressive but I'm still getting used to it after flying the Caucuses for nearly a year. And I haven't d'loaded 1.5 back in yet as I'm thinking it's too buggy after the last update and I've still got some training Campaigns I purchased and need to start so I'm hoping the Devs fix things up soon there. And yep deffered shading sure makes a big difference but I didn't know about the antialiasing off so I'll def give that a try and any tips or advice regarding getting good results out of my new rig, I'm all ears, all welcome.

Thanks for posting the tips. Cheers G

https://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=1412

:thumbup:

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉