Thrustmaster T.Flight U.S. Air Force Edition

DerekSpeare

So I preordered mine from Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874719022

I am a long term and long time Plantronics headset guy myself, and my Gamecom 300's have been going strong for some time. They're good quality for not much moolah. I recently learned of these new cans from Jabbers when he visited the TM exhibit earlier this year.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-us-air-force-edition

Egg tells me that they will be shipped on 19 October, and I will post more on them when I get them. I like the look of these since they resemble David Clark headsets. If the TM ones even come close to DK headsets, I will be happy...hell, even if they're as good as my Gamecoms I'll be happy :)

NB: TM has not given me a set. I paid for these with my hard earned cash. I rarely spend money on stuff like this, so we'll see if they are worth the money and have a better value over the ones I use now.

tflightusaf-1.thumb.jpg.fc15be90a21b0ef0bcbfe3f93921089b.jpg

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update: Fedex tells me that Tuesday is the day of delivery. I'll post more soon after that :pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Preordered too, but on Amazon, in France.

They say it will be delivered Nov. 3rd.

So, i'm interested in your review when you'll have yours ; if they are total sh*t, I'll cancel my order ;)

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

@DerekSpeare, I got a pair, had them for over a month now. They are really nice, my only gripe is a personal one, i dont like on ear headphones, only around ear. But sound quality is great, mic quality is about as expected from a headset.

Disclosure: Also, yes I was given a set by TM. They didnt hold me to a review, they just sent it as a thank you, so no obligation to say one way or another on them.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Ok, so I have been thinking on this for some time since I received the headphones Monday. Frankly, I was impressed with the build quality but disappointed to a degree.

My Plantronics Gamecoms are cheap, but they sound fine for me and are really comfortable. There's abundant padding on the ears and on the bow which goes over the operator's head. They weigh in at 260g or so. There's a built in volume knob and mic mute switch and use standard 3.5mm connectors. They were about 35 bucks US when I bought them and I've been using them for years. For cheap, they sound good and don't get heavy, even after hours of gaming in VR.

The TM unit weighs in at ~460g, and that was a big step up in weight...it's not a deal breaker, though. However, despite the fact that the foam cushions around the ears is abundant, there is little under the bow. This lack of padding and the heavy weight turns me off a lot. Moreover, the ear pads hit the Oculus headband, and I have to adjust the cans lower than I'd like to get a proper fit. I have a plan in place and will fashion a covered foam pad to fasten under the bow to increase the padding and provide more comfort. I'm particularly disappointed in TM for this glaring lack of attention. The padding thickness on the Gamecoms is 20mm compared with 10mm on the TM. One other "issue" is that the wind cover on the mic tip is held in place with a small grommet. This could be more secure since the foam cover fell off in my lap a couple of times during normal use; those who have small kids or pets should be aware of this since it can become a hazard (I have a small dog who likes to prowl for chewables...)

Sound quality: I have good hearing, but am not an audiophile. The TM unit is not quite as loud as my Gamecoms, but it can be cranked up. I adjusted my sound settings in Win10 with the EQ to get m0@R V0luMe! and that helped. The mics on either are about the same, though I get some resonance through the ears on the TM that I don't get with the Gamecoms. The TM unit does a much better job at sealing out the environmental/gaming space noise than the Gamecoms do.

I like value. In this case, I am still undecided on the value proposition these may offer. Surely I understand that it costs money to make these, so the price is not unfair whatsoever. For a hundred bucks, shipped, it's a "good deal". They look great, styled after David Clarks, and more comfortable than those if my memory of the days of wearing them serves me properly.

Thoughts: I would have told TM to make sure there was enough cushion under the bow and to make the padding around the ears a bit thicker. The lack of bow padding is a huge strike against them for me. If you're reading this, Claude, add some frickin padding...

Are they worth it? Yeah, I think so...would I recommend them? Since I'm careful not to recommend anything I don't love myself, I have to say, "I recommend them only if you've read my points here". Do they have a lot of "cool"? Yep...my old Gamecoms are tired and well used. Did I switch back to my Gamecoms? Yes, and I will use the TM ones again once I make my bow cushion sometime in the next few days.

@Jabbers: Remember my comment on your vid fro E3 (I think)? I asked specifically about these. It was your vid that informed me on this headset option, so TM can thank you for that :)

Anyhow, this is longer than I wanted, but it's my persepctive :)

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the market to replace my headset and wonder how these stack up against Kingston Corsair Hyper X Cloud 2

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

• 3 weeks later...

Is this TM headset comparable with a TrackIR Pro? It seems to be.

Eric

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-----------------------

i9 9900K | Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB | 64 GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD | 850 Watt Power Supply with Liquid Cooling | Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet™ HOTAS Add-On Grip | TPR Pendular Rudders | Warthog Dual Throttles | Track IR5 | Foxx Mounts Stick and Throttle | Massdrop AKG K7XX w SBX G6 DAC | Corsair K70 RGB Platinum | G903 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse | Acer XR382CQK

these are headsets...it is not a tracker

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

these are headsets...it is not a tracker

He is asking if the headset is compatible with mounting the Proclip . "Comparable" caused confusion-darn autofill !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Sorry. Compatible is what I meant to ask. I’m looking at purchasing a headset and TrackIR Pro, and I want to ensure that they play nicely together. Sorry for the confusion. Cheers from Chicago.

Eric

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-----------------------

i9 9900K | Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB | 64 GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD | 850 Watt Power Supply with Liquid Cooling | Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet™ HOTAS Add-On Grip | TPR Pendular Rudders | Warthog Dual Throttles | Track IR5 | Foxx Mounts Stick and Throttle | Massdrop AKG K7XX w SBX G6 DAC | Corsair K70 RGB Platinum | G903 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse | Acer XR382CQK

Sorry. Compatible is what I meant to ask. I’m looking at purchasing a headset and TrackIR Pro, and I want to ensure that they play nicely together. Sorry for the confusion. Cheers from Chicago.

Eric

Cheers to you...too bad I didn’t think to autocorrecttion

I think it should be compatible...maybe with velcro straps.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Thank you. So many questions as I have ZERO gaming experience. I’m reading and watching everything I can find so that I don’t ask questions that can easily be answered. “There are no stupid questions... only stupid people”.

eric

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-----------------------

Thank you. So many questions as I have ZERO gaming experience. I’m reading and watching everything I can find so that I don’t ask questions that can easily be answered. “There are no stupid questions... only stupid people”.

eric

If you're jus getting into it, you should definitely take a look at VR.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1