why there is no air to air missiles?

yuhan11020

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same reason you Never bring a Knife to a Gunfight ;)

Use the Right Tool for the Job - for A2A call the Fast-Jet Jockeys :pilotfly:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Jesus Christ Santa Maria of all wikipedia educated people. Again same thread about this :D

• Like 1

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Jesus Christ Santa Maria of all wikipedia educated people. Again same thread about this :D

Not everyone has endlessly perused the forums daily for the last couple of years like the rest of us.

New members will from time to time ask 'noob' questions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

It will be perfect if we can us air to air missiles ! I mean someting like AA-11/ARCHER AAM .

This was introduced with patch 1.0.1 especially for the people who do not know what helicopters are used for.

Just kidding.;)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It can, as in it has been in fact tested with sidewinder ... but apaches in service do not have this capability - it seems useless.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

rooivalk5151689sd0.jpg

Capable of Carrying and Deploying Darter and Mistral AAM's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Was the Rooivalk cleared for those operationally?

Subsequent to the Turkey Tender Collapse and Denel ceasing the Rooivalk Programme and thereafter Government Intervention, to the best of my recollection only 4 of the 11 Helo's are certified for Operations atm, with the rest presumably to be operational by the 2010/2011 deadline set by Lekota.

Also heard that due to expense, the Mokopa programme has been delayed indefinitely as it does not fit with the perceived Peace-Keeping role that the Rooivalk is intended to fulfil once Operational. Would however assume that the AA missiles, being an integral part of the Weapons Platform, would still be a viable part of the programme.

Wish I had a definite answer - all I can do is speculate :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Should attack helicopters carry heaters? Based on my experience trying to shoot helos with vikhrs, YES! Should ED model something that is not operational, NO! (well, it could be argued that the Ka50 really isn't operational but enough semantics. Keep it real.

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Same reason you Never bring a Knife to a Gunfight ;)

Use the Right Tool for the Job - for A2A call the Fast-Jet Jockeys :pilotfly:

I give you a picture and I think it will be very helpfull if a helicopter can carry A2A when encounter with another helicopter!

e55b991a78159ec9ac6e7520.thumb.jpg.defb7724cfcd4baf2c5e6db0e6dcf8d6.jpg

Ericinexile, I don't think it could be argued that the Ka50 isn't "operational". It was deployed to Chechnya which would make it appear that they are indeed using it. ;)

That there's not all that many of them in use is a wholly different thing. There aren't many Rooivalks either. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I give you a picture and I think it will be very helpfull if a helicopter can carry A2A when encounter with another helicopter!

I Agree - See Post #12 above ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I give you a picture

Meaningless picture. Not a Ka-50.

Ka-50's do not carry any sort of air to air weapons save for the Vikhr's ability to be used for that purpose in a limited capacity.

Ka-50's will NOT carry AAMs in the forseeable future, and probably never in their service life.

Helicopters that do or MAY carry's AAM's include the marine AH-1Z, the OH-58, the Tiger, the Mi-28 and Ka-52.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well...

It may be true that the Ka-50 and Apache do not carry AAMs operationally. BUT- people often get too bogged down by what is done in real life to think about the fact that in a war, you do what you have to to win! I'm POSITIVE that if it came to situations where the Ka-50 or Apache were actually being engaged in air to air combat or seriously endangered by air threats, those stingers and AA-11s would be fitted on the choppers ASAP!

So while it might be true to say that AAMs have never been operationally used, it could definately be envisioned a case where they would be fitted onto choppers. In DCS Black Shark, we do a huge amount of ATA combat- compared to the fact that absolutely no air to air combat is done by choppers in real life, and hence, no need to carry AAMs IRL. However, if real life Ka-50 pilots had to face as much air to air combat as we do, they and their commanders would DEMAND that their choppers would be retrofitted with the ability to carry and use AAMs. Heck, they already may have the capability or partial capability (don't some cockpit switches pertain to AAM deployment?) to use and carry AAMs, it may just be a matter of them simply never being loaded onto the chopper!

So, IMO, no AAMs in DCS BS = not realistic. If DCS BS contained nothing but ground pounding, like in REAL LIFE, then no AAMs would be realistic.

Edited by Speed_2

arrogant, realism-obsessed Falcon 4 junkie

those stingers and AA-11s would be fitted on the choppers ASAP!

It's not THAT easy (and you can forget about R-73's anyway).

So, IMO, no AAMs in DCS BS = not realistic. If DCS BS contained nothing but ground pounding, like in REAL LIFE, then no AAMs would be realistic.
No, doing A2A in DCS BS like you do = not realistic. You should, like IN REAL LIFE, evade and avoid A2A threats. ;)

DCS will not be adding unrealistic payloads to its aircraft - this is directly at odds with the realism part of DCS. I suppose they could stick Patriots on F-15's too since there was a study about it and 'it might have been useful for BMD'. Not going to happen.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would like to point out that there is a lot of "may", "could" and so on. I would think that people who plan for and train for the operational use of these helicopters know better what they need than us people here on a forum for a commercial product.

The point is that when you need something airborne taken down for you, you call in those assets that have been purpose-built for that. Some aircraft, like the Su 25 and A10, do have A2A missiles as an option for self-defence purposes, but they don't get tasked with A2A combat anyway. It's purely self-defence. Helicopters are better off HIDING.

You are trying to say that they should implement an unrealistic weapon selection because people make unrealistic missions, in order to make it realistic.

Unreal + Unreal = Real?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

All I am saying is to cover the full spectrum of possible conflicts, the Ka-50 in DCS should carry AAMs occasionally. If you were in a PROTRACTED conflict where your attack helicopters were in danger from air threats, and were actually being engaged and engaging (in self defense) air threats, you would have to be stupid not to outfit them with AAMs, especially, if you had already developed and tested AAM capability on those choppers!

Though, I will concede, for the majority of scenarios, they would be either too quick, or moreover, the need for AAMs on attack choppers would not be present.

Edited by Speed_2

arrogant, realism-obsessed Falcon 4 junkie

Helicopters that do or MAY carry's AAM's include the marine AH-1Z, the OH-58, the Tiger, the Mi-28 and Ka-52.

Add Gazela Gama to the list ...

Reminder SAM = Stealth STOP!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

And I'll repeat ... DCS attempts to simulate realism. A mission where you face A2A combat is either not necessarily realistic, or a rare oddity - if you are constantly building missions with A2A in them, then the problem is the building of unrealistic scenarios.

Just because 'they could happen' doesn't mean DCS should offer unrealistic payloads. It is a slippery slope.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]