Engine wont kick

cheap charlie

Throttle is supposed to be about 2 inches up. I've also found that the auto start up is dodgy at best with the P-51D, which I think is due to the primer/starter just being pressed down for a predetermined number of seconds, instead of for as long required to actually get the engine going.

My best advice would actually just be to run the engine start tutorial. The only planes that are easier to start than the P-51D are the Flaming Cliff ones, so it doesn't really take long to learn.

I've found stabbing the throttle while flipping the mixture lever between idle cutoff and run usually gets her going. If that fails, mixture to idle cutoff straight away, leave it about 15 seconds so you don't burn out the starter motor, prime for a few seconds and try again. Just practice shutting down the engine and getting it up and running a few times on the ground. Oh, and don't flip the mixture to run until she starts to catch. It's a dark art!

In a cessna you can just pump the throttle a few times instead of priming if the engine is still warm but this doesn't seem to work in DCS.

Edited by howie87

Yeah, you get the things right with the 51, she'll start every time, and so far, my record is having her running in 6 seconds from spawn in. Realistic, no, but thats rushing through just the things you need to get it running.

Key points for successful engine start:

Battery on (Generators can be turned on later)

Fuel booster on

Fuel shut off valve in on position

Throttle at idle or up to 1 inch forward (seems more sensitive to this lately, to much, she'll flood out)

Prime for 4-5 seconds

Magnetos on both

Mixture in the cutoff position (until it starts to fire, then to the RUN position)

With those in place, she should fire and be running in a matter of seconds. If its cranking for more then 5 seconds without catching, something in the above checklist is not done.

This is SO much better then waiting for the computer to start your bird up for you, more satisfying as well.

My first thought would be to make sure throttle is full back.

Actually, it should never start with the throttle in that position.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

^^ that might be, but i can say with confidence that it is the most reliable way to get it going among those of us who fly the p51 daily.

never move the throttle forward unless you want starting trouble.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Have you flown the DCS Mustang? I've only started it about 300+ times like that.... so maybe it was a fluke.

Of course, I know the this is not proper procedure for the actual P-51. But it is not the only thing that does not follow reality.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• 10 months later...

I think I played enough with the starter in the TF-51D-looked at the manuals, checklist on the kneeboard, watched all the instructinal 'startup' youtubes and searched the forum strings on this subject to say- The starter has a bug.

Too random the failures and if it was this hard there would have been a mountain of burnt out starters in England. Some days I get it turning over and other days....

Too quirky to be real. :joystick:

Still and all I intend to get the P-51D module because I like the fidelity of the takeoff, and flight and landings. Really hard bird to master right.

But the starter-it's bugged.

The P-51's oil viscosity is currently bugged, once you get the thing running, you will discover that it is impossible to get the oil pressure down into the green zone.

Use the oil dilute on the ground around 30 seconds before startup to make it thinner, and it will help with startup.

If you have a failed start, make sure to wait 30 seconds for it to cool, or you'll burn out the starter motor.

I find that setting the throttle a bit lower than normal helps as well.

When they fix the oil viscosity, the auto start will probably work again.

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

Thanks Socket7. That seems to do the trick somewhat. I have been holding the oil dilution switch down for 10 seconds then 30 seconds later start her up. Not as 'war-weary' as before. FWIW I'm starting up in summer environment. I spotted this string when putting oil dilution in forum string search. Glad to know It really appears to be a bug. Hope it gets fixed.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135055&highlight=oil+dilution

I know this is an old thread.

But I've also found turning on the ground power gives the starter a little extra boost making it turn over far quicker doing it manually.

I usually only prime the engine for 5 - 10 seconds and it seems to start first time every time. Without ground power it feels like it struggles a little more.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience the fail safe way to go is to cycle through mixture settings (starting in idle-cutoff) until the engine starts. So, prime for about 5 seconds, and hold start. When the engine starts to catch, go to auto-rich. If it doesn't start, cycle to next setting and next and next until it is running on auto-rich.

Have you flown the DCS Mustang? I've only started it about 300+ times like that.... so maybe it was a fluke.

Of course, I know the this is not proper procedure for the actual P-51. But it is not the only thing that does not follow reality.

Exactly. That is because of the oil pressure bug. You need to have the throttle closed. In a normal day I use 5sec of primer full RPM and 0% throttle. Works every time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA