The greatest MiG-21 skin ever!

Mtnbiker1998

image001.jpg

This was my first time attaching a picture to a thread, so if I did something wrong please tell me how to fix it!

I was browsing some model plane websites, and I stumbled upon this. I thought it was fictional, but apparently a real Ukrainian Mercenary pilot named Igor Valenchenko used this weird paint scheme to bait in enemy fighters during the Democratic Republic of Congo's 1997 civil war.

Here's the Link to the building of the model http://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/mig21bfc/build.htm

and here's the gallery http://www.scalespot.com/gallery/aircraft/mig21bfc/mig21bfc.htm

Credit to Gary Wickham for building the model.

• Like 2

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

That is some really sweet model detailing.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Way cool

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

My initial reaction was, Mad Max.... Something straight outta that movie. I don't know why, but that was my first reaction. :music_whistling:

But, after studying it again, that is a funky paint scheme. Great job to the model author. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

mad max scenario kinda is workable for this mig21.. after nuking major military assets and cities.. a ruined world where of course the AK47 of the skies gets rediscovered by rag-tag units of d new brave world and they offer their services to other groups that wish some assistance in their "restoring" order to our world..

man this is totally single player campaign character play worthy..

imagine pc game Fallout make out with mad max while watching top gun in the background..= THIS...

Wow I didn't know that was actually a real paint scheme. When someone posted this video promo in the original MiG-21 forum, I saw the paint scheme and thought "What aviation museum would have let him paint that MiG display like this for a commercial?" :lol:

There's something about being a mercenary fighter pilot. "You got it, I'll fly it".

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

The plastic model was built by Gary Wickham of Sydney, Australia. I think the model looks a lot better than the real thing. The weathering details and the softer light blue looks much better than the bright clean colors...

I think the model looks a lot better than the real thing. The weathering details and the softer light blue looks much better than the bright clean colors...

True I do think the model looks nicer, but with the real one being that bright it definitely gets attention. Those Angola pilots must have taken one look and said "Oh I HAVE GOT to shoot at that!"

Interesting paint job on the one you posted as well!

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Cool stuff!

The first one is an Eduard model. I can definitely recommend visiting their website:

http://www.eduard.com/

They release a free diginal magazine (as PDF) every month, and there are a few back issues with plenty of ideas for the MiG-21

Like this one: http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2013/info-eduard-2013-09EN.pdf

Those Angola pilots must have taken one look and said "Oh I HAVE GOT to shoot at that!

I wouldn't have wanted to shoot it... It looks so awsome! :megalol:

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

• 8 months later...