#04 - MINI-UPDATE & COLD STARTUP

Cobra847

So now when it's almost done, it's once again suspended indefinitely?

I don't understand the logic behind this. I doubt that people would chose EDGE over the -21 if you asked them what they wanted released first.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the logic behind this. I doubt that people would chose EDGE over the -21 if you asked them what they wanted released first.

Indeed.

I don't care much about EDGE in comparison to the Mig.

But if LN think it's best to wait for EDGE then it probably is. :thumbup:

Indeed.

I don't care much about EDGE in comparison to the Mig.

But if LN think it's best to wait for EDGE then it probably is. :thumbup:

I think you got that wrong: if they release it now that's great and all BUT one day, the whole graphical engine changes (EDGE) and there are lots of lots graphical and model bugs coming up - whining ensues. "Why ,when, it's only 2 two months old get that sh*t to work etc"

In their position I also wouldn't optimize this for the coming engine and adapt it to work with the old one. Then 2 months (DON'T! it's an example) later the whole work is obsolete...

My 2 cents: they optimize it inernally for the upcoming, still evolving EDGE (I guess), get rid of most of the bugs, FPS friendlyness (please!) and the they will ship it with EDGE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I think you got that wrong: if they release it now that's great and all BUT one day, the whole graphical engine changes (EDGE) and there are lots of lots graphical and model bugs coming up - whining ensues. "Why ,when, it's only 2 two months old get that sh*t to work etc"

In their position I also wouldn't optimize this for the coming engine and adapt it to work with the old one. Then 2 months (DON'T! it's an example) later the whole work is obsolete...

My 2 cents: they optimize it inernally for the upcoming, still evolving EDGE (I guess), get rid of most of the bugs, FPS friendlyness (please!) and the they will ship it with EDGE

Well then they can work with their 1.3.0 EDGE integration while we play in 1.2.8/1.2.9 couldn't they? :smilewink:

But yeah...My guess would also be that they will ship with EDGE.

I think this is a important thing to consider seriously, a lot of us want the MIG perhaps a bit more than EDGE so the idea of kinda arbitrarily waiting for EDGE is kinda tough.

I don't know how difficult it would be to make a 1.2.9 release but that might be the best way to go in the long run since we really don't know when EDGE is coming at this point.

• ED Team
I think this is a important thing to consider seriously, a lot of us want the MIG perhaps a bit more than EDGE so the idea of kinda arbitrarily waiting for EDGE is kinda tough.

I don't know how difficult it would be to make a 1.2.9 release but that might be the best way to go in the long run since we really don't know when EDGE is coming at this point.

I certainly dont know, but I highly doubt if a 3rd party module was ready to go and EDGE wasnt, they would figure it out... I cant imagine a scenario where they make LN wait if its good to go. But I dont know...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Well Cobra said the module is ready. The EDGE integration is not. And even if it was we'd have to wait for ED to release 1.3.0 which could take a while. And since ED likes to keep us in the dark I doubt we will get a release date before it arrives.

I will keep hoping for the Fw-190 releasing with EDGE, but I seriously doubt it.

• ED Team
Well Cobra said the module is ready. The EDGE integration is not. And even if it was we'd have to wait for ED to release 1.3.0 which could take a while. And since ED likes to keep us in the dark I doubt we will get a release date before it arrives.

I will keep hoping for the Fw-190 releasing with EDGE, but I seriously doubt it.

Pretty sure LN is responsible for getting their module to work in 1.3.0. I believe ED would only be responsible for checking that the quality is at a level to hold the DCS tag....

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
It went from being "ironing out the rough edges for an imminent 1.2.8 release" to "still ironing out the rough edges, and those that came with EDGE for a release in who knows when".

This is all new territory for 3rd Parties and ED, these are the first 3rd party modules to go though these steps...

64Sig.png

I chose EDGE with Mig and happy to wait. It's funny how impatient people are like there is nothing else in life to do.

• Like 1

Come now guys, we've waited this long I think we can hold fast until the day finally comes. The team have had more than their fair share of problems along the way and I have faith they'll get it ready soon. I can understand the want to keep the MiG internally until EDGE is released as no doubt there will be many issues that will need ironing out. All of the other 3rd party releases so far have also been beta releases whereas as far as I know LN are aiming for a full working product and not have to put us through the beta stage like belsimtek etc.

Edit: I feel they may have potentially lost some sales by not getting it out earlier. Had they done it end of June, they would have been first in the market and everyone would have been desperate to purchase it. But now with Sabre being herexposed within a week or two, and the other aircraft releases, I feel the average person may no longer have interest in Mig 21.

I hope I'm wrong

I think there won't be that much difference in interest even with these other aircraft thrown in. Those who were interested in the MiG-21 are going to buy her regardless, those who pass her up initially may buy her down the road after buying one of the others.

The Hawk and 101 are trainers and not everyone is going to be into those. The 190 is a WWII prop plane (again not everyone's cup of tea) and the Sabre is a Korean War era gun fighter - which if it doesn't have the MiG-15 AI opponent available on release there won't be any AI of similar ability to shoot at in game, while the MiG-21 does have some AI opponents already in DCS that could be a good match.

Out of the entire group the MiG-21 is the only dedicated fighter jet that is still in use, has on-board radar and armed with more modern missiles (at least in comparison to the AIM-9B the Sabre may come with). Only way I can really see the MiG-21 having low sales is if the F-18C popped in and that isn't happening for some time.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

I think there won't be that much difference in interest even with these other aircraft thrown in. Those who were interested in the MiG-21 are going to buy her regardless, those who pass her up initially may buy her down the road after buying one of the others.

The Hawk and 101 are trainers and not everyone is going to be into those. The 190 is a WWII prop plane (again not everyone's cup of tea) and the Sabre is a Korean War era gun fighter - which if it doesn't have the MiG-15 AI opponent available on release there won't be any AI of similar ability to shoot at in game, while the MiG-21 does have some AI opponents already in DCS that could be a good match.

Out of the entire group the MiG-21 is the only dedicated fighter jet that is still in use, has on-board radar and armed with more modern missiles (at least in comparison to the AIM-9B the Sabre may come with). Only way I can really see the MiG-21 having low sales is if the F-18C popped in and that isn't happening for some time.

Agree with this assessment. I have no plans to purchase any WWII aircraft or trainer aircraft. If its an aircraft Im interested in, the delivery date makes no difference to me.

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

I chose EDGE with Mig and happy to wait. It's funny how impatient people are like there is nothing else in life to do.

In a way, but in the wrong arena. It's in DCS that there's just nothing else to do. I've learnt everything I want to about the modules I'm interested in, the horrible MP experiences (not players, but lag that can make people appear to be hundreds of miles away doing something else than what they're doing right next to you) and the hopelessly boring campaigns aren't that funny.

I don't give a hoot about somewhat better graphics, and I don't think I'm alone in that. I've picked up on BMS to the extent that I'm just not starting DCS until there's a new module that I'm interested in (the MiG-21 or the Sabre) simply because it's actually fun in the long run. There's more to it than just learning how to use something, and then spending 1% of the time spent learning it playing boring campaigns before giving up on it. If there can't be any dynamic campaigns or such in DCS, at least don't delay the already very late modules that spark a genuine wide spread interest, outside these forums.

Pretty sure LN is responsible for getting their module to work in 1.3.0. I believe ED would only be responsible for checking that the quality is at a level to hold the DCS tag....

I never meant otherwise.

What I meant to say was ED probably wont give us a release date on EDGE a while before it's launch. And because of that it's hard to say when we'll get the Mig-21, if they're done by the time EDGE launches that is.

• ED Team
I never meant otherwise.

What I meant to say was ED probably wont give us a release date on EDGE a while before it's launch. And because of that it's hard to say when we'll get the Mig-21, if they're done by the time EDGE launches that is.

Well in that case, you are correct, ED wont give a release date :) But it is coming along nicely ;)

64Sig.png

I wish that they would've put most of their resources on the MiG-21. The Sabre and Dora are "in-between planes" I get after I'm a bit bored of the MiG-21 whilst waiting for the next big thing. Dora is on the bottom of my DCS to buy list, no offence to the developers.

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

Am I the only one still wondering where the Promo copies to popular streamers are?

As I mentioned in the other thread: Update within a week, promo copies going out next week, and likely a livestream on Friday (4th).

I love how none of the devs will update us

cant they see that we are all confused? Cobra promised an update within a week. already late

We're still working out kinks with the aircraft, so EDGE screenshots are currently premature.

And I'm posting every day.

Re Promo copies; Currently they are on hold due to the work going into moving to 1.3.0.

We'll go back and make sure the legacy version is ready for previewers as soon as we have some time.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

And I'm posting every day.

Cobra, while some of us forum warriors happily read the threads and appreciate your lovely posts, I think there's quite a few people who don't see them because they only pop on every now and again and miss them under the avalanche of other posts (ie, your last post is now 4 pages behind).

I think it might be easier for you guys to show you're communicating by having a singular stickied dev update thread which only you LN chaps can post in. Makes it very easy and obvious that you're posting frequently and keeping people up to date :)

I think it might be easier for you guys to show you're communicating by having a singular stickied dev update thread which only you LN chaps can post in. Makes it very easy and obvious that you're posting frequently and keeping people up to date :)

Very good idea! :thumbup: