server with realistic scenarios?

King_Hrothgar

I've played on 104th and 159th a bit as well as some others, but I'm having a hard time finding a server I like. What I'm looking for is one with side restricted planes (east vs west type of thing) and more realistic ground objectives. By more realistic ground objectives, I mean where there is a sensible front line instead of enemy ground units being placed 100km+ inside friendly territory like on 104th. I'd like to encounter enemy CAS planes while I'm doing CAS and have air supremacy actually mean something to the mud movers.

So are there any servers currently running this type of scenario and if so, what are they? Current modules I have are MiG-21, FC3 and Blackshark 2, so anything but WW2 should be ok for me.

Seriously? Why? It's the standard for every other CFS I've ever played (RoF, BoS, IL2, CloD, LOMAC...).

Because we are a bunch of casuals, people hardly even join TS when playing...

Edited by karambiatos

IMO the open servers' primary interest has been attracting as many clients as possible by adopting a video game approach inviting all modules to join a virtual slug fest. "The more the merrier" The reason you see so many locked servers is that people like you have realized that forming small groups of like minded folks or joining a squad is the only way to experience a greater degree of realism.

I am in the same boat. Which is why i mostly fly falcon online. You don't see blue pilots flying mig29's su27's su33's Etc. Not to mention the dynamic campaign. If there were more realistic servers in DCS i would probley fly it more often.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 Monitors, 5 Video Cards, 90inch Flat Screen, Intel Bad Ass 2 @ 72.6Ghz, Atari Hotas!!!

Knowing what time zone you operate in would be a help.

I suggest you join an organised Squadron/Wing, and if you have any knowledge of designing missions, why not have a go yourself and offer them to the chosen Squadron to use?

I'm with RAF Air in the UK, and we're always on the lookout for well designed missions with as much realism as possible. We only fly with one airframe, and you'd be more than welcome to join us.

Neil

I've played on 104th and 159th a bit as well as some others, but I'm having a hard time finding a server I like. What I'm looking for is one with side restricted planes (east vs west type of thing) and more realistic ground objectives. By more realistic ground objectives, I mean where there is a sensible front line instead of enemy ground units being placed 100km+ inside friendly territory like on 104th. I'd like to encounter enemy CAS planes while I'm doing CAS and have air supremacy actually mean something to the mud movers.

So are there any servers currently running this type of scenario and if so, what are they? Current modules I have are MiG-21, FC3 and Blackshark 2, so anything but WW2 should be ok for me.

Our server the <51>server has always run missions with this mind set. IMO it makes for a much more enjoyable experience to have all participants working together on one front.

Our last creation featuring the Inguri river used the river as the frontline where west and east face off and Combined Arms also being active.

We've had some great battles going on in previous patches with over 30 players.

We're currently running an 80s version restricting A2A weapons.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Because, depending on who joined, you would get wiped off the map.... if you get in trouble you can't call a 24/7 roster of on duty pilots to suddenly join a public server and defend your space.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Team stackers are going to stack teams regardless of what's flyable. So I don't think that's really a concern. I'm also not interested in joining a virtual squad at this time as my play time is erratic and I'm already in one (Loose Deuce in BoS). In any case, I'll look at the suggestions here. Any more are certainly welcome. Thanks!

Come and check out the =31st COG= Dedicated Server we try to create most of our missions with this mind set.

But because there is no really counterpart for the A-10c, Su-25t (SEAD), KA-50 we put these aircraft on both sides (but only when needed).

We also restrict the A2A weapons usually taking out or severely limiting the long range stuff (SPAMRAM, AIM-7,etc), we also limit some of the the A2G weapons (AGM-65, CBU-103/5, CBU-87/97) in order to make it a bit harder and to make playing as a team necessary (thus making team play more effective / rewarding).

Member of Combined-Ops-Group

I have been there a few years ago and gave up on public servers.The best time I had on public servers, was on the <51th> server though (MHO).

But at this time Il2 1946 was still alive (unmodded) and I got my "immersion" fix there (Coop wars, SEOW, ADW). Maybe BoS grows over the Public-Gang-Bang online play it is restricted to now, who knows. For now I found DCS is best in role play/hardcore, with a close-to-real-procedure approach in a medium/small sized group of like minded on specialized servers.

It is too easy for one foul apple to ruin the batch, so public is what it is... :pilotfly:

Edited by SNAFU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

Hey, I just want to let you know that you're not alone out there with this problem. Like others in this thread it also bothers me as well:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=125070 ;)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Interesting read and confirms what I've heard talking to a lot of others. I hate the whole concept of symmetric balance in sim type games. The missions should be balanced, but perfect balance by giving both sides the exact same stuff is boring and unrealistic. Asymmetric balance is much more interesting and realistic too. It is harder to create however.

As an example, the Su-25T is the only SEAD plane in the game while the A-10 curb stomps it in terms of raw tank busting power. Solution? Give the red team a heavier armor presence with shorter ranged SAMs that can be countered by A-10's. Give the blue team a lighter armor presence but with greater SAM capability. Both sides fight in a radically different environment and yet it can be fairly balanced. The Ka-50 can also be used to help bridge the gap between the A-10 and Su-25's. It is slower, but its tank busting potential is just as good.

Taking this to a greater extreme, something as potentially one sided as MiG-21 vs F-15C could be allowed. Thanks to each individual plane having to be created on the map before a client can use it (I think, need to confirm), it is very easy to have a 30 man server where by pure availability of planes, red team could have 26 MiG-21's available while the blue team gets only 4 F-15's. With small player numbers, it would be one sided in favor of the F-15's. But fill it up and the situation could easily be reversed. This specific example is not workable for obvious reasons outside of an organized event, but it is an example of creating asymmetric balance via numerical superiority vs qualitative superiority.

I'm sure I can figure out how to make MP missions, I made tons of them for the original IL2 series, ArmA and other games. But I have neither the money or equipment to host them. As for my original question, I haven't found any that satisfy me. A proper frontline (even a very localized one with only a few dozen units total) is as elusive as red only Su-25's.

Interesting read and confirms what I've heard talking to a lot of others. I hate the whole concept of symmetric balance in sim type games. The missions should be balanced, but perfect balance by giving both sides the exact same stuff is boring and unrealistic. Asymmetric balance is much more interesting and realistic too. It is harder to create however.

As an example, the Su-25T is the only SEAD plane in the game while the A-10 curb stomps it in terms of raw tank busting power. Solution? Give the red team a heavier armor presence with shorter ranged SAMs that can be countered by A-10's. Give the blue team a lighter armor presence but with greater SAM capability. Both sides fight in a radically different environment and yet it can be fairly balanced. The Ka-50 can also be used to help bridge the gap between the A-10 and Su-25's. It is slower, but its tank busting potential is just as good.

Taking this to a greater extreme, something as potentially one sided as MiG-21 vs F-15C could be allowed. Thanks to each individual plane having to be created on the map before a client can use it (I think, need to confirm), it is very easy to have a 30 man server where by pure availability of planes, red team could have 26 MiG-21's available while the blue team gets only 4 F-15's. With small player numbers, it would be one sided in favor of the F-15's. But fill it up and the situation could easily be reversed. This specific example is not workable for obvious reasons outside of an organized event, but it is an example of creating asymmetric balance via numerical superiority vs qualitative superiority.

I'm sure I can figure out how to make MP missions, I made tons of them for the original IL2 series, ArmA and other games. But I have neither the money or equipment to host them. As for my original question, I haven't found any that satisfy me. A proper frontline (even a very localized one with only a few dozen units total) is as elusive as red only Su-25's.

This is a very intriguing idea and I think it would be attractive if it became available. Suppose someone created such a mission and made it available for anyone to download from this forum. It would be an easy matter for anyone to host it for 2 to 3 hours on an open server with a free Teamspeak channel. If there were say 5 individuals set up to host it at different times it could very easily be available often enough to give the majority of interested people ample chances to join. I think a 20 man cap would be more reasonable though.

I'm always looking forward to such missions :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The S77th server runs almost exclusively missions that are realistic in terms of aircraft available to red/blue with the exception of the MiG-21Bis being available on both sides. Our missions also usually feature dynamic ground battles with controllable units. Fighters spawn a little further away than usual to create a more strategic air superiority game instead of the constant slugging match. It also allows CAS a little room to breath, but not too much room ;)

We also put a lot of effort into making sure our missions include the rotor heads with multiple FARPS and movable troops. More recently our good friend shadow has created a script which allows helicopters to move logistics and use them to create SAM batteries!

Currently DCS bugs prevent us from having dynamic naval battles but some missions have static ships and carriers.

There was this cool server around DCS Belgium, haven't seen it lately, but if you spot it, go for it.

Otherwise feel free and welcomed to check <51>Server and give us your feedback. I am now casually working on next realistic scenario for our server, ME is so time consuming...

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I've also never been a fan of mixing all aircraft on both sides. I get it from a gameplay perspective but I don't fly a sim for gameplay I fly it for realism and realistic scenarios. I'll be checking out the 77th tonight, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

I have not been truly active online for a long time, but the 51 is one of my preferred stops for more realistic missions. I also don't like symmetric balance and am hesitant to join a squad because of time, etc.

Sadly, on the few occasions that I've gone online lately the 51st has been fairly empty. Frostie/shamandgg, is there a specific time of day/week when the 51 sees peak activity?

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Sadly, on the few occasions that I've gone online lately the 51st has been fairly empty. Frostie/shamandgg, is there a specific time of day/week when the 51 sees peak activity?

Not really we've been a bit inactive lately with regards to server upkeep etc. but now the Flanker PFM is out hopefully we'll start picking up.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org