Take Off in the Bf 109K-4

iFoxRomeo

It helps to set the prop pitch in manual mode, but at the same time it can be dangerous because as soon as you get airborne you should promptly revert to auto mode, and when busy, pilots tend to Forget about that - engine seizure is the result, most of the time...

So, I have adapted to use the prop pitch in Auto for all phases of flight, and I am doing acceptably that way :)

For takeoff try to:

0) Decide if you're using flaps. You can always deflect them a bit, and also set your pitch trim full nose heavy ( Reading 2 );

1) align with the rw, rol for a while and then lock the tailwheel to make sure it is straight;

2) Make sure the MW-50 power switch is set to OFF. It defaults to ON. OFF is to the right, if I'm not wrong...

3) Deflect your rudder fully right, and pull your stick back a bit ( not fully back! ) and full right;

4) Smoothly, but promptly, advance the throttle to full power, and as you start gaining speed ease the stick and set it to neutral ( in pitch ) and then a bit forward to help the tailwheel raise. Keep it to the right as much as required. During the takeoff roll don't think about therory that much, but instead, input stick and rudder to keeps as straight as possible, and with your wings level...

5) You will notice a tendency of the nose to want to pitch up "agressively" as soon as you get airborne. Be prepared to push your stick further, to help keeping that nose not to high...

6) When stable and climbing, retract the gear, then, as teh horn starts, retract the flaps...

Landing will be the new challenge as soon as you get airborne :-)

I keep thinking about those ww2 newbie pilots entering a Me109 for the first solo flight.... Poor fellows :-/

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Thank you guys for your advises, I have done 3 T/O and landings, not something you would be impressed with but as you said , practice and observing will make it happen. I flown helicopters all my life and I used my arse as a bank indicator; the problem with simulators is that you cannot feel the aircraft. So I shall look at my instruments from now on.

Thank you very much and all the best Lizzard and Foreigner. Give me sometime and I shall meet you in the air.

Best Regards

Pratt

• ED Team
Thank you guys for your advises, I have done 3 T/O and landings, not something you would be impressed with but as you said , practice and observing will make it happen. I flown helicopters all my life and I used my arse as a bank indicator; the problem with simulators is that you cannot feel the aircraft. So I shall look at my instruments from now on.

Thank you very much and all the best Lizzard and Foreigner. Give me sometime and I shall meet you in the air.

Best Regards

Pratt

You are absolutely right about your acceleration feeling, but the best way is not to use instruments in visual flight but learn to use visual info - use clouds for the first step then you can use ground from left and right.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

2) Make sure the MW-50 power switch is set to OFF. It defaults to ON. OFF is to the right, if I'm not wrong...

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Just watch the MW-50 pressure gauge. With the MW-50 switch to the left it won't show any pressure with full throttle, switch it to the right and you will see the needle jump (at full throttle). If you do a ramp start it will be off.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

My technique is slightly different.

1) Line up with the runway

2) let the aircraft roll forwards before stopping

3) lock tail wheel

4) set RPM to 12o'clock position manually

5) cowling flaps fully open

6) full nose heavy trim

7) slowly power up to 1.2 ata

8) adjust heading using toe brakes to maintain straight travel down the runway

9) as the tail raises apply right rudder to counter yaw at increasing speed

10) be ready to apply some forward stick pressure when you get in the air to counter the aircraft tendency to climb.

jcomm, I have done what you said and my T/O has improved. I have no trouble with my landings, as long I commit to a heading and 10 degrees nose up at 150 speed the touch down is smooth after a flare and I believe I have done a 3 points landing, I shall watch the track to make sure, it felt that way. I had trouble to slow the aircraft on the second landing so I decided to do a loop at the end of which I found myself too low and landed short of rw. This is back to flying school for me.

Cheers Mate

Does anyone know how many souls have been lost trying to take her off the ground from an historical point of view? I mean real life?

Pman your technique works for me, I still have to compensate heavily against that L/H bank, as I left few aircraft bits behind.

Cheers

Pratt

Documents indicate about 10% , most in the later years of the war, due to lack of proper training...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Does anyone know how many percentage were shot down?

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

well, there are claims that more 109 pilots lost their lifes during take offs and landings than during air combat...whether this is true or not i dont know.

Old wives tail that won't die. There was about 1500 fatal crashes some of which could be because the pilot or a/c had been hurt/damaged in combat.

These are just the Continental US fatal accidents:

P-39 - 369

P-40 - 324

P-47 - 404

P-51 - 131

First, we talk about the Bf-109 only. Second, the 1500 occured between 1939 and 1941, yet there were another couple of years in that war.

Allegedly the later years saw lots of poorly trained pilots with no experience on anything but a glider tossed into a fighter cockpit. So, the at least 10% loss on take off and landings, seem more than reasonable, considering the handling characteristics during take off and landing.

I would like to get a figure on the Bf-109 losses in combat, though, as I doubt they actually lost more planes in T/O and landing accidents than actual combat over the course of the war.

Maybe in the later years of the war compared to the accidents, as much better allied planes were introduced that could compare to the 109 and especially the US and UK air forces had more experienced pilots, then.

Shagrat

This is mind blowing!!! Poor buggers. Does anyone has a recorded history in a DCS section so we could look back and feel the aircraft on a different level, since we are not allowed yet to feel her physically?

She is a bitch to lift off the ground but once free of obstacles, she tends to grow on you, and you always get back to it after so many crashes(talking for myself here). There is something about this aircraft that you cannot ignore....character!!

Developers have done a magnificent job there. I shall have a beer to you guys.

Documents indicate about 10% , most in the later years of the war, due to lack of proper training...

Reading a book about Bodenplatte by John Manrho, almost every group lost atleast one or two pilots on landing or take off.

Pictures of some pilots really show how young some of them where.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would like to get a figure on the Bf-109 losses in combat, though, as I doubt they actually lost more planes in T/O and landing accidents than actual combat over the course of the war.

Maybe in the later years of the war compared to the accidents, as much better allied planes were introduced that could compare to the 109 and especially the US and UK air forces had more experienced pilots, then.

Out of the top of my head, I recall I have compliled about 7000 Bf 109 enemy related losses and about 7000 non-enemy related losses for 109s at fighter units between April 1942 - Dec 1944. Fw 190 numbers were similar ratio btw. This of course involves all causes both categories - shot down by fighters or bombed on the airfield, as well as the ones lost in take off or landing, or in taxying, random engine trouble in flight, birdstrike etc. etc.

There is nothing extraordinary about that, most airforce statistics I have seen have non-combat loss causes being responsible for anywhere between 25-50% of all losses. I would say the main cause is found not as much in the aircraft but the operating conditions - for example eventless patrol flights from well established airfield will strain the planes and pilots much less then months of heavy fighting from an rudimentary airfield.

And of course for the last years of the war there is always the "so you did nice in a glider, lets try combat flying in a 2000 HP taildragger - here is the manual, read it before the morning sortie"-factor.

Edited by Kurfürst

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

Thanks for the input. I thought as much.

It is obvious the 109 is more difficult on the ground and on T/O and landings, but the "more pilots lost to T/O and landing" as to combat seems exxagerated.

Given the circumstances of a war (untrained) pilots we may have "more" losses to these accidents compared to other planes, but even then not much more...

Yet she needs lots of attention on the ground, for sure.

Once airborne and above 250kph she shines!

A bit careful with hasty throttle inputs, especially in a dive, and she's flying awesome!

...now, if I wouldn't totally suck at dogfighting, I could one day be a "deadly" scourge of the skies :D

Shagrat

How? One of the "myths" about TAKE OFF is the "more pilots died on..." argument. Bottom line: if you do it right and train a bit, 109 is not much more difficult than the Fw-190 for example.

Shagrat