MiG-21Bis Dynamic Campaign: Guardians of the Caucasus

MBot

Thank you very much gents! I will take notice of your advices; coming from propellers after nine years, it's a whole new world these jets, systems and missiles witchcraft :D

Gavagai, i have it turned on, thx for the tip anyway.

Now if you ppl don´t mind, i have a great campaign to attend. Chima out!

:pilotfly:

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for those who have more experience with this awesome campaign, as I *just* jumped in for the first time last night:

Knowing that I was going to die fairly quickly, I ran the mission MP rather than SP. When I did die, I used 'jump into' to take over another MiG-21, and I then repeated this process when I died 2 or 3 more times. But at least 3 times when I jumped into another MiG, the engine would spool down and I'd get the 'DC GEN' red warning light. Nothing I could do after that point would bring the engine back up. So I'd then have to jump to another MiG until I could finally find one that didn't do that -- which turned out to be maybe 2 of the 6 of 7 I jumped into. Has anybody else experienced this?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting strange behavior in this campaign.

Finally I'm starting to get some kills and figure things out a bit more. But there are a few thing's I'm not understanding.

One I almost constantly have a lock on me on the RWR, even when there are no enemies apparently in range. I've spent a lot of time evading and looking around only to find no one is actually engaging me. Or I'm locked when the enemy is still 90k out and I'm barely out of range of the base.

I just finished a mission and it went really well, 17-1 kill ratio for our side and I managed 3 kills. So I went in to watch the track afterward to have a look at them. And the track ended minutes in with me getting blown up with a Sparrow missile head on. This isn't the first time I've seen a track have a totally different outcome than what actually happened. Is this normal?

One I almost constantly have a lock on me on the RWR, even when there are no enemies apparently in range. I've spent a lot of time evading and looking around only to find no one is actually engaging me. Or I'm locked when the enemy is still 90k out and I'm barely out of range of the base.

MiG-21 has a very basic RWR that cannot tell What is the source of radar - just rough direction. You're probably getting painted by nearby SAM sites.

I just finished a mission and it went really well, 17-1 kill ratio for our side and I managed 3 kills. So I went in to watch the track afterward to have a look at them. And the track ended minutes in with me getting blown up with a Sparrow missile head on. This isn't the first time I've seen a track have a totally different outcome than what actually happened. Is this normal?

It's not "normal" in terms of how it should be, but quite normal in terms of current implementation in DCS. Track replay is quite bugged at times.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Like Andrei said, the tracks in DCS are pretty bugged or rather unreliable. Tracks in DCS aren't videos. They are they exactly the same game prcoessed in real time in the same way as it is when you actually play. The only difference is, that all the player isn't controlling the plane. Instead all the command inputs have been recorder and get executed by a AI pilot in the track. It can happen, that those commands aren't executed precisly on time (especially if you're accelerating time) which leads to different outcomes. The longer the replay runs, the higher is the possibility for such errors.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Tracks will never work because the way this campaign is set up. When you load the track, which is basically a mission file, it will read the current campaign status file. But your campaign has meanwhile progressed. So the track will actually load the setup of the next mission, while trying to replay the last mission.

• 3 weeks later...

Try to save under 1.5 and the change of MiST (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=147792)!

Missions made in 1.5 ARE NOT compatible in 1.2.16.

You can load a mission from 1.2.16 into 1.5, but the moment you save it, it WILL NOT be compatible to open it up on 1.2.16 due to mission file changes.

Just a friendly reminder to make a back-up copy of your mission if you want to work with it in 1.5.

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

MIST is not required for Guardians of the Caucasus. For 1.5 compatibility, simply re-save the mission file in the 1.5 mission editor.

Unfortunately 1.5 has screwed up the briefings and debriefings, now only half the text is displayed :(

MIST is not required for Guardians of the Caucasus. For 1.5 compatibility, simply re-save the mission file in the 1.5 mission editor.

Unfortunately 1.5 has screwed up the briefings and debriefings, now only half the text is displayed :(

And here I just finished my first successful multi-aircraft engagement and was hoping there was some log that got generated too.

I think I can take the information from MDC_campaign_results.lua from the camp (for date and time) and weather sections though, right?

And here I just finished my first successful multi-aircraft engagement and was hoping there was some log that got generated too.

I think I can take the information from MDC_campaign_results.lua from the camp (for date and time) and weather sections though, right?

Yes, every information should be in that file (and hopefuly be commented usefuly).

Yes, every information should be in that file (and hopefuly be commented usefuly).

With DCS 1.5 and its improved visibility, this really comes to life. Such a fantastic job Mbot. I really hope Eagle Dynamics takes what you've done here to heart!

Just finished a very successful (for me anyway) mission, 3 fighters and 1 bomber and making it home on fumes. Now if I can just figure out why my radar missiles refuse to fire ;)

(also hoping this doesn't double post, forum did something weird when I tried the first time)

Just a guess: Your loadout doesn't include radar guided missiles. At least the default loadout doesn't.

Oh hell, apparently that's the issue. I hadn't gone digging into the mission loadouts and the loadout isn't one that the mission editor is reading, but extracting the mission file and looking at the pylon configs, it does seem it's got 4 R-60 and 2 R-13M.

I'd looked out the cockpit and F2 and saw a much larger missile and just assumed it was an SARH variety.

:doh:

I re-saved the mission file in 1.5 like suggested, but playing in SP I now get sent alone against enemy strike packages, no friendly MiG-21 appear in any mission.

Could you check this again? I just flew a first campaign mission and had a bunch of AI MiGs coming.

Could you check this again? I just flew a first campaign mission and had a bunch of AI MiGs coming.

I tried restarting it (without MDC_campaign_results.lua) about a dozen times and even redownloaded the original mission file and re-saved it again, didn't work. However, a kind soul on IRC just sent me his mission file and upon launching it I had friendly MiGs again. Perhaps the problem is on my end.

I can't seem to get this mission to save progress in 1.5. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but this is what I've done.

1. I put the mission file into the c/users/xxx/saved games/dcs.openbeta/missions folder

2. I edited in the minus signs in the missionscripting.lua file in the openworld beta/scripts folder

At the end of a mission, I press save the mission via the radio commands but when I check my dcs openbeta main folder there is no MDC_campaign_results.lua file. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I can't seem to get this mission to save progress in 1.5. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but this is what I've done.

1. I put the mission file into the c/users/xxx/saved games/dcs.openbeta/missions folder

2. I edited in the minus signs in the missionscripting.lua file in the openworld beta/scripts folder

At the end of a mission, I press save the mission via the radio commands but when I check my dcs openbeta main folder there is no MDC_campaign_results.lua file. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

It works on my end. Did you make the missionscripting.lua modification before the last game update? Each update reverts the missionscripting.lua to its original state, so the modification has to be repeated.

Ok, so I figured out what the problem was.

I had mistakenly thought that I edited the missionscripting.lua file because when I opened it up in notepad++, it looked right. Turns out that the way it was set up, I was just looking at a version of the file that I had edited but not saved.

Trying to edit the file gave me access errors, so even when I did it successfully using administrator privileges, saving the campaign in game didn't work because there weren't sufficient privileges to write the MDC_campaign_results.lua file.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me troubleshoot the issue, MBot. I also wanted to state what many others have said that this is a freaking amazing mission, thank you for creating it for us to play.

After taking a couple of months break I am now back at coding and working on something bigger and more ambitious. But it is still too early for details, let's first see if things work as planned :)

Nice to hear!

Looking foward to it.

Keep up your amazing work.

Best regards,

Jorik

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

Selfmade Alu Rail 4080 mounts