Engine not making full power after ground crew reload?

Dirty Rotten Flieger

I made a quick mission with lots of ground targets and was flying attack missions, going back to base , landing , rearming and flying again...

I had done maybe 6 missions of low altitude ground pounding and just for a change I thought I might load some air to air missiles and a tank and go high alt and see how fast I could go with the drag of four missiles. I was aiming to get above 10k and see if I could reach mach 2. I couldn't . No hope. I couldn't even hold level flight without about 8 degrees angle of attack at about mach 1.2

It was as if the engine was not making full power. I ejected and took off again with no missiles and even with a clean plane I couldn't get past 1.2mach.

I quite the mission and made another with infinite fuel and straight away I noticed much more power . The plane slowly pitched up with afterburners and climbed easily to 15km, leveled off and reached mach 2.2.

Maybe spawning a new plane is bugged and the engine is not making full power? Or maybe landing and rearming/refueling is where the problem is.

I remember a thread on here from months ago with a similar complaint about angle of attack being too high at high alt and high speed...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I made a quick mission with lots of ground targets and was flying attack missions, going back to base , landing , rearming and flying again...

I had done maybe 6 missions of low altitude ground pounding and just for a change I thought I might load some air to air missiles and a tank and go high alt and see how fast I could go with the drag of four missiles. I was aiming to get above 10k and see if I could reach mach 2. I couldn't . No hope. I couldn't even hold level flight without about 8 degrees angle of attack at about mach 1.2

It was as if the engine was not making full power. I ejected and took off again with no missiles and even with a clean plane I couldn't get past 1.2mach.

I quite the mission and made another with infinite fuel and straight away I noticed much more power . The plane slowly pitched up with afterburners and climbed easily to 15km, leveled off and reached mach 2.2.

Maybe spawning a new plane is bugged and the engine is not making full power? Or maybe landing and rearming/refueling is where the problem is.

I remember a thread on here from months ago with a similar complaint about angle of attack being too high at high alt and high speed...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Your nose cone position switch might be getting reset. Ensure that it is in the Auto position.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I had observed a strange behavior, at least in multiplayer.

When you rearm your plane from a cold start without starting any thing on it after the rearm is complete the switch for nose cone is moved forward "magically".

why? Is it a bug or something intended?

P.S. I tend to put it back off then restart it during my start up sequence... just to be sure is working.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Ill have to try some more tests... In this case I was landing and refueling/rearming most of the time . On some occasions I got shot down I respawned on the runway with engines running. I have never started a mission on the runway before. I usually start cold. I'll check if it the nose cone switched off on a hot start on the runway.

Thanks for the nose cone suggestion. Sounds likely.

Edited by Dirty Rotten Flieger

A mission reset is not required. You can simply refuel and the systems will self repair.

IIRC the manual stated that you don't need to refuel/rearm/repair but to keep the engine off for at least 8 minutes to get rid of engine/airframe wear.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

IIRC the manual stated that you don't need to refuel/rearm/repair but to keep the engine off for at least 8 minutes to get rid of engine/airframe wear.

Correct.

From the manual:

"Note: Whenever you fly, your aircraft resources will

be slowly consumed (fluids, working resources,

stress applied etc). Once you land and require

refueling, the systems will “self repair” after the

refueling is done."

"Note: Internal systems “self repair” is coupled with

refueling. However, to make repairs of damaged

hardware (fuselage, wings, tail, gears) you need to

call the ground crew and ask for repairs. The same

applies for rearming."

"Your engine will reset stress level to zero, once you

land and shut it down. This will happen along with

aircraft systems self repair event. You don’t need to

do anything apart from being patient for max. 4

minutes."

"Your engine will reset stress level to zero, once you

land and shut it down. This will happen along with

aircraft systems self repair event. You don’t need to

do anything apart from being patient for max. 4

minutes."

So it was 4 minutes, not 8. But the manual is not clear to me. I can understand that in different ways:

To reset the stress level you have to

- just shut the engine down after landing

OR

- shut the engine down for 4 minutes

OR

- repair the aircraft

OR

- repair the aircraft AND shut the engine down for 4 minutes

Which of them is true and which are wrong?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I believe the manual means you can repair the stress level by either:

1) Shutting down the engine and just wait 4 minutes (240 seconds).

Or

2) Contact ground and request a repair.

#2 requires the engine to be shut down as well in order to work. Ground crew will acknowledge the request but the repair will not start until RPM reads zero. The repair takes 2.8 minutes (170 seconds)

Maybe this is the problem. It is possible I had flew 4 ground attack missions one after the other . Also I didn't turn my engine off at all when I landed and rearmed/refueled.

If I recall correctly I did get shot down and respawn once though I can't remember.

It certainly seems likely that I had just worn out my engine using the burner . Thanks for the suggestion.