Leatherneck Simulations Monthly Update - Februamarch 2015

Cobra847

From Wikipedia:

In November 1981, an Iraqi Mirage F1 accounted for the first, Iranian F-14 Tomcat to be shot down, followed by several more in the following months, giving the previously timid Iraqi Air Force new confidence in air-to-air combat engagements with the Iranians

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_aerial_victories_during_the_Iran-Iraq_war

All I see is dead mirage f1s in this wiki

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me save some F5 buttons;

Around 20.00 EST.

That's 1am GMT Tuesday here in UK! :eek:

Burning the midnight oil again Cobra? :)

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

It's not that I don't like the Tomcat but I'm just surprised to see people saying it's like some kind of Jesus plane when...it wasn't...and it's just not my favourite plane is all.

To me the excitement is about the possibilities of what it can bring to the dcs:

-Second high fidelity fighter (after mig-21)

-Double cockpit

-Swept wings

-Interesting weapon choices

-Possible A/G radar

Read Steve Davies's fantastic book "Red Eagles" and it says this in there. The low speed manoeuvrability of the MiG-21 was extremely good and in the hands of the right pilot was a dangerous foe. The Tomcat was a very heavy jet and this affected it's turn rate.

So........something we can try out when the F-14 arrives :D

Come on Baby!! put us outta our misery :bash:

The F-14 was *surprisingly* good in a dogfight for its size and weight. It was primarily built as a fleet defense interceptor, not so much for dogfighting. Even so in the hands of a good pilot it could hold its own.

There was literally no competition in the fleet defense interceptor category though. The radar, the weapons it could carry, the range and the speed of the fighter made it great. The dogfighting competency was just a bonus.

And look at that shape with fully-swept wings... you gotta love that.

EDIT: And yes they were taken down during the IRAN-IRAQ war, but they had IRANIAN pilots in them..

NUFF said there too..

I somehow got they feeling these guys tried to TnB. The F-14 is a pure BVR fighter/interceptor, and it's the best thanks to the AIM-54. In Dogfight, it should always go BnZ. It probably outturns a MiG-23 or MiG-21, but it's definately beaten by MiG-29s or Su-27s in turn fights.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

It's not that I don't like the Tomcat but I'm just surprised to see people saying it's like some kind of Jesus plane when...it wasn't...and it's just not my favourite plane is all.

We love it because it's most likely coming in 2015. Any other multi-role jets coming out this year?

And Danger Zone. :smilewink:

I don't think the effectiveness of the aircraft in combat has really anything to do with why it gets made as a DCS module. I think it's got more to do with access and availability of information.

Besides, you tried to diminish it's value by saying that it got shot down by a MiG-21 and by doing so, you also diminished the other (beautiful) module by Leatherneck, which by the way by many reports even if you are on a F-16, it isn't that much of an easy kill in his upgraded variants, but maybe you also forgot that if the MiG-21 is actually a strong opponent for the Tomcat, then it counts as another good reason for this module to exist.

Why corba use EST, it still have 9 hours to go and everyone knows he is in Poland. LOL

And the HP of them now is only a picture? Is there any button on that page?

However, thank you cobra.

I can delete the dcs client and only wait your guys's great artwork and DCS2.

The last question is:

Do we have some "Cinematic Tools" for DCS just like other game?

for example:

Though, the crew and vehicle in this video just like plastic toys...

Wasn't the phoenix missile horrible at hitting other fighters?

It wasn't really designed with that in mind, but it could hit them if they didn't maneuver too much (at range) and likely do better at shorter ranges. It is questionable whether or not they could even see it coming on RWRs of the time. Iraqi fighters were said to frequently disengage and run whenever a Tomcat started tracking them.

At the very least it was a weapon that could force the enemy to go defensive out at 100nm.

It wasn't really designed with that in mind, but it could hit them if they didn't maneuver too much (at range) and likely do better at shorter ranges. It is questionable whether or not they could even see it coming on RWRs of the time. Iraqi fighters were said to frequently disengage and run whenever a Tomcat started tracking them.

At the very least it was a weapon that could force the enemy to go defensive out at 100nm.

I thought the F-14 had an OPTICAL tracking system that made it impossible to detect when a plane was being tracked.. (And becasue the enemy had no idea it was being tracked, it was a complete surprise when the Phoenix took them down.. At least the FIRST one anyway)

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

EDIT: And yes they were taken down during the IRAN-IRAQ war, but they had IRANIAN pilots in them..

NUFF said there too..

Those Iranian Tomcat pilots were well trained by US instructors, had done joint sorties with US pilots and achieved a stellar victory ratio in the Iraq-Iran war.

...Within the first six months of the war Iranian F-14s scored over 50 air-to-air victories, mainly against Iraqi MiG-21s and MiG-23s, but some also against Su-20/22s. In exchange, only a single F-14A was damaged - by debris from a MiG-21 that exploded in front of it. ...

.... after a series of air battles through February, March, and May 1988, in which the Iraqis suffered additional heavy losses to IRIAF Tomcats, in July 1988 the new IrAF Mirages finally managed to shot two Iranian F-14s down in a single engagement.

http://www.acig.info/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=47

Edited by emg