F-15 - share your opinions

All those high Mach runs are configured with the plane 'naked/clean'.

Simply an average plane with the pylons removed? No weight changes or anything? Are there figures with pylons still attached and/or figures with a missile load?

As for data, you give cite me the data results in game provided you list the fuel state, altitude, starting - ending speed and I can looking in my DB.

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Are you speaking of F-15 level acceleration? If so, from where did you obtain your table?

altitudes under FL100.

I'm not familiar with the altitude unit "FL". Definition?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FL100 = 10000' or angels 10.

Though I was under the distinct impression FL was used almost exclusively above 20000'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

FL100 = 10000' or angels 10.

Though I was under the distinct impression FL was used almost exclusively above 20000'.

Same here, from around 15-20k and above. And isn't FLxx more civilian term and the military use Angels. e.g Angels 20.

No, A-10's over Kosovo were using FL regularely. You might still be right, and this might be an exception.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Simply an average plane with the pylons removed? No weight changes or anything? Are there figures with pylons still attached and/or figures with a missile load?

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Are you speaking of F-15 level acceleration? If so, from where did you obtain your table?

I have a text refference here saying that ''the M2.5 requirement was reached in theory, but when armed with missiles speed was limited to M1.78.'' I was supprised by that. I assume they were AIM-7s they were reffering to.

I take it the tests were done without pylons to avoid any risk of damaging them.

"FL" stands for "Flight Level" and is used for all altitudes beginning at 18,000 ft (FL180) and up. It begins at 18,000 feet because any flight at or above this altitude must be an IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) flight, which means you must be in contact with ATC by radio (radar contact is not required because not all areas of the earth have radar converage - like the middle of the ocean or some parts of Alaska). For such areas, there are Mandatory Reporting Points, hence the requirement to be in contact with ATC via radio.

From the ground and up to less than 18,000 ft would just be in terms of thousands of feet. For example 15,000 feet would be "One Five Thousand". The term "Angels" is used mostly by the US Navy to represent altitude in thousands of feet. For example, Angels 15 would be 15,000 ft.

• Like 1
iVIPER21sig2.jpg

I have a text refference here saying that ''the M2.5 requirement was reached in theory, but when armed with missiles speed was limited to M1.78.'' I was supprised by that. I assume they were AIM-7s they were reffering to.

I take it the tests were done without pylons to avoid any risk of damaging them.

IIRC, the F-15C was limited to Mach 1.78 with 8 AAMs and gun. Mach 2.5 (or greater) was reached with the "airshow" config (no gun, but I'm not sure they removed the pylons).

In any case, I think the bigger problem isn't whether the F-15LO can reach Mach 2.5 or not. It's Ps. The max speed thing is just an indication that the F-15LO isn't producing as much thrust as it should at high altitude.

sigzk5.jpg

formation TAC-Razor Edge

You guys are lucky that Im not in an F-4 Phantom. Just emagin the Histeria.

I have no problems with the Lock ON F-15c, but I darn well know things need to be fixed in the Eagle in LOMAC.

I have flown all of the Migs, Su's, ect, they fall way short of the Eagle as is. Just imagin if I had my power-plants back to 110%

Lerker above

Cool t:surrender: :megalol:

Just imagin if I had my power-plants back to 110%

:megalol: You still don't get it don't you?

103% on your gauge is just an indication AB are on (plus the two lights on). It's not that you're gaining +3% of power over total without afterburners :megalol:

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

IIRC, the F-15C was limited to Mach 1.78 with 8 AAMs and gun. Mach 2.5 (or greater) was reached with the "airshow" config (no gun, but I'm not sure they removed the pylons).

You messed things here. Just how tiny little impact does an internal gun have on top speed? Not a factor. Ofcourse weapon pylons are a factor here. They produce extra drag and are a penalty for top speed. But I have never seen F-15 on an airshow with it. Only completely clean aircraft with a gun included of course. Not all aircraft on airshows are just for aerobatics. Only applys to aerobatics teams with planes configured specialy for that purpose. Others are completely operational ready but without pylons&weapons.:pilotfly:

iVIPER21 said ...not all areas of the earth have radar converage - like the middle of the ocean or some parts of Alaska...
...or quite large parts of Africa. Also take note of the difference between Primary radar and Secondary (or Beacon) radar. Large parts of the worlds radar coverage is Secondary radar only, ie. no transponder in your aircraft and you are invisible.

Apologies for going slightly off (F-15) topic....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

What I meant by naked/clean. Basically, no pylons or anything hanging off the wings or fuse. Anything hanging off the plane causes drag. Just the like aircraft itself, these objects hanging off the aircraft have their operational limits as in speed and G.

Yes, I am talking about level acceleration. Say from 275 KIAS to 750-780KIAS at 10,000'.

:megalol: You still don't get it don't you?

103% on your gauge is just an indication AB are on (plus the two lights on). It's not that you're gaining +3% of power over total without afterburners :megalol:

Going over 100% does mean that the ABs are ignited however in real life RPM needles don't move when you engage the AB. I guess ED was making the RPM gauges as 'power indicators'?

... I don't know how many vipers I've killed "virtually" using ACMI IRL in a GUNS fight (tracking kills with the hud tape to prove it), but if you can get a kill on a F-16 after they've been practicing air-to-air for a few weeks, then you've done something SWEET! Savor the taste.8)

Mind you, we still peel them like grapes when using a slammer, even WVR.:thumbup:

Would be nice to see these tapes (or some clips from them).

You messed things here. Just how tiny little impact does an internal gun have on top speed? Not a factor. Ofcourse weapon pylons are a factor here. They produce extra drag and are a penalty for top speed. But I have never seen F-15 on an airshow with it. Only completely clean aircraft with a gun included of course. Not all aircraft on airshows are just for aerobatics. Only applys to aerobatics teams with planes configured specialy for that purpose. Others are completely operational ready but without pylons&weapons.:pilotfly:

Where did I "mess" anything? Firstly, I have no idea how much impact the removal of the gun would have on top speed, but they did it. When the F-15A was in service, they removed the gun to get to Mach 2.5, at least once. At the very least, they'll save a couple thousand pounds.

Second, you're point about pylons just confirmed what I was saying. From the book I was reading (it was about the development of fighters and the F/A-18 specifically in late 1970s/80s/early 90s), it stated that Mach 2.5 in an F-15A was just for "airshow" birds. Now, these airshow birds normally still have their wing pylons and stuff attached (being basically fully operational fighters and all), so I just pointed out the fact that it's not clear whether the F-15A can reach Mach 2.5 with pylons or not.

I have no idea why you are bringing up points like "not all aircraft on airshows are just for aerobatics" or "Ofcourse weapon pylons are a factor here", things that EVERYONE here knows.

sigzk5.jpg

"FL" stands for "Flight Level" and is used for all altitudes beginning at 18,000 ft (FL180) and up.

This is true only in US and some part of Canada. Transition altitude in Europe varies. Transition level might be as low as FL40 in some places.

Below lowest possible FL (which is TL) you fly using QNH and report true above sea level altitude usually described in feet. Above TL you fly using 29.92 and this is when you report your altitude to ATC using FL instead of feet. FL is mostly used for safety issues.

When and why you report to ATC in general depends on the airspace you are flying, your flight plan, etc.. but indeed in US class A airspace starts at 18000 feet (change your alitmeter to std pressure 29.92) and you can't fly VFR in class A - IFR must fill flight plan and communicate with ATC.

Sorry for little offtopic, I don't know is altimeter calibration is used in LockOn (but I think I saw it while watching SU25T demo video), I am pretty new to this sim.

.. but indeed in US class A airspace starts at 18000 feet (change your alitmeter to std pressure 29.92) and you can't fly VFR in class A - IFR must fill flight plan and communicate with ATC.

Close. In the US, Class A airspace begins at FL600 (60,000 ft) and above - in addition to ATC, NASA usually likes to know what you are doing so high up, jk. Controlled airspace begins at FL180 (18,000 ft) - which requires a flightplan and must be IFR - in the US.

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

Close. In the US, Class A airspace begins at FL600 (60,000 ft) and above - in addition to ATC, NASA usually likes to know what you are doing so high up, jk. Controlled airspace begins at FL180 (18,000 ft) - which requires a flightplan and must be IFR - in the US.

Erm... not quite right. Class A airspace begins at 18,000. If you can get above FL600, you're back in Class E airspace.

When I was at undergraduate pilot training, i used to listen to the SR-71s coming down into Fort Worth Center's airspace:

SR-71: "Ft. Worth Center, Raven 21, request FL 600"

Ft. Worth: "Raven 21, if you can make it that high, you're cleared up to FL 600"

SR-71: "Rgr, Raven 21, descending out of FL OSCAR (classified altitude above 60,000 ft) for FL 600"

:megalol:

Goya - At 10,000 feet, standard day, in a 39,000Lb F-15C with 220s the jet should accelerate from M0.8 to M1.0 in about 10 sec. This is with pylons and LAU-114s launch adapters, no centerline - or LOMAC "clean" Eagle.

"FL" stands for "Flight Level" and is used for all altitudes beginning at 18,000 ft (FL180) and up.

Actually... FL's are used anytime you are in the standard altimeter setting zone, 29.92 inches of mercury. In north American southern domestic airspace the transition is at 18,000 feet. Up in the northern and arctic airspace it is at lower altitudes, above 1,500 feet, unless you are departing or arriving which is when you set the field altimeter. So, bombing around in the arctic in cruise you could be flying at FL050 or 5000 feet or FL250, 25,000 feet.

In other parts of the world, the transition altitude varies from down as low as FL040 or FL050.

Close. In the US, Class A airspace begins at FL600 (60,000 ft) and above

Class A includes the base of all high level controlled airspace up to 60,000 feet in Canada and the US. The base is 18,000 feet in southern domestic, 23,000 feet in northern domestic, and 27,000 feet in the arctic control zone.

Well imho I think your all you f 15 guys need to jump into the 27 mig or 33 and go up high. These planes move slow up high too...

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/