Native voices or English voices for campaigns ?

S-GERAT

Native voices or English voices for campaigns ?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Native voices or English voices for campaigns ?

• Native languages (When possible ) and subtitles
    • English language and subtitles

I can't see how it can possibly be more realitic to not understand the language that is being used for communication than it is to understand it.

There isn't a millitary force in the world that would let you take the aircraft into a combat zone if you couldn't understand even simple instructions being passed to you over the radio ?

Cheers.

True.

But ... you have to learn the language, or you don't participate at all (or work, live ... etc). Or fly with army where you do understand officer in charge. That's realistic.

Simple as that :D

Edited by danilop

I can't see how it can possibly be more realitic to not understand the language that is being used for communication than it is to understand it.

There isn't a millitary force in the world that would let you take the aircraft into a combat zone if you couldn't understand even simple instructions being passed to you over the radio ?

True, but having only English voices for the Russian side is unrealistic and a double punishment for the Russian users..

Maybe somebody should invite they to this poll to see what they think about this.. :music_whistling:

Immersion may come from something being true to life, but fun usually doesn't.

For me I like to understand what's going on around me, if I hear a radio transmission, look at a button, read some text I like to understand it instantly.

With entertainment, and that's what DCS is, it needs to feel right, but doesn't have to be. It's the suspension of disbelief. If the chap on the radio sounds native, but speaks English that's good for me. If I look at words, even if I don't know what they mean, I can read it and understand that 'ABRIS Power' is probably the power switch for the ABRIS.

A perfect example of getting the balance right I think, is the Hunt for Red October. It balances the accents, the language and the visuals to make you believe you are watching Russians on-board a Russian submarine (well, if we 'Dishcount' Sean Connery), but yet can still watch it comfortably and relate to what is going on without having to look away from the action, pause it or rewind it.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

True, but having only English voices for the Russian side is unrealistic and a double punishment for the Russian users..

Maybe somebody should invite they to this poll to see what they think about this.. :music_whistling:

In the end, it all boils down to money. It doesn't have anything to do with reality.

Fact 1: The biggest market for ED is English speaking market, by far.

Fact 2: English speaking countries don't like their movies and other entertainment with subtitles.

So, you have funny situation - for example - Russian cockpits in English, which is now taken for granted in flight sim community! :D

Ah well ... I support whatever keeps ED afloat!

I'd like *my* native language for the Spitfire when it comes out. That's English... English (or Scots Standard English, if we are being picky), not American English.

Edited by Cripple
typo

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

Actually, here's a suggestion. Remember how German's are portrayed in UK/US war films? There are three types:

1) English Germans. Usually officers, who speak with RADA English accents.

2) Accented Germans. Zey still speak ze English und mit ze heavy accent.

3) German-Germans. Usually front-line troops, who speak single words or short phrases in their native tongue. "Hande Hoch!" etc.

So, how do we adapt this when regionalising the game? Well, plot or exposition should be in Accent 1, radio conversations in Accent 2, and short cockpit announcements etc should be in Accent 3.

Kinda seems the best compromise between immersion and comprehension.

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

How about we just comply with ICAO standards? I agree with several posters about the non-standard units of measure issue. The Imperial standards should be the default.

That's basically what I'm advocating in terms of units of measurement and pressure, but since it is the International Civil Aviation Organization, it doesn't really apply to military, especially in regards to radio communications.

I understand immersion and all, but i dont think i would be flying a su-27 for russia irl if i wasnt able to speak russian. Since its a simulation id rather have more options and choose the language of my liking.

In the end, it all boils down to money. It doesn't have anything to do with reality.

Fact 1: The biggest market for ED is English speaking market, by far.

Fact 2: English speaking countries don't like their movies and other entertainment with subtitles.

So, you have funny situation - for example - Russian cockpits in English, which is now taken for granted in flight sim community! :D

Ah well ... I support whatever keeps ED afloat!

Since they make the voices both in english and russian from the beginning, for ED is not uneconomical to give the user an option to choose. Also, I don't think that english speaking users would not buy simulators because they have an option not to use english. Hence, giving the user the choice could be the best pick for everybody involved.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

Ideally there should be an option to chose the language. If there's only one language, I'd like it to be English because reading subtitles during flight is more immersion breaker than hearing Russians (or any other) speak English.

Thanks, enough said. It is so obvious... This was discussed years ago, I can't understand how it's still a topic...

Both would be best. I like hearing Russian in my Russian aircraft, even though I don't understand it.

I also like having a Russian cockpit with subtitles on the mouse cursor.

I agree with the person who suggested aircraft by aircraft choice.

I wished the poll choices weren't so binary. It seems there is plenty of support from the community to suggest that we would support a higher price for content if the designers allocated some extra money for voice actors to provide options. I am from the US and I agree with the part of the community that says that we would like to be able to hear the content in English (accented or not) but I do want to be respectful for our international community and their desire to hear content in native languages. As for the designers who produce free content and rely on volunteers to voice act, I would understand their choices to realize their vision even if it means that I may not download their mission(s). I would much prefer a wide variety of rich content.

I think it's simple: DCS is an international sim for the international communty made by a Russian based company.

So...either English or Russian as an end user choice.

I know that when I fly with Russian instractions it disturbs my immersion.

As I'm sure is the same goes for Russians and English, especially when they fly an SU-27.

By the way...I'm sure the idea doesn't suggest French for the Mirage or Chzeck for the L-39 or Texan for the Falcon (which we don't have yet).

Keep it simple: two languages with a menu choice.

jgVplRQ.png