My Saitek Pro Combat pedals died, need recommendations for replacement!

Yes, after one year(!) of steadily declining performance, my Saiteks decided to go belly up on me. The supplier has now (two months later) given up trying to get me a replacement from Saitek and has refunded my money (how nice of them!).

• The center detent became very inaccurate.
  • Jitter in the sensors required close to 10% deadzone to counter.
  • Toe-brakes didn't return to their full up position, so I had to curl my toes around the top and pull them up.
  • The USB connection would randomly drop (though not often) and sometimes come back up as an Unknown Device. Unplugging them and plugging them back in usually solved this.
  • The sensors would read rudder inputs for a bit less than a second and then not read anything for up to two seconds, then read inputs again. CONSTANTLY!

Conclusion: I'm NOT getting another pair of Saiteks!

Now I need to find a good pair of rudder pedals. I've already looked at the MFG Crosswind and the Slaw Bf-109, but I would prefer a toe-brake style set.

EDIT: Looks like Slaw is manufacturing his F-16 style model now. :)

Are there any alternatives out there that are around the same price (or maybe even a bit less)?

I'm on a bit of a budget and I'd like to see the options available to me.

Edited by SnorreSelmer
Updated Slaw Devices F-16 availability

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you're considering this price range you pretty much have a choice between MFG and Slavs (and i think F16 are not produced by him anymore, only the WWII style). There are also the VKB pedals but there are no toe brakes on them so you have to use workarounds for it.

That's pretty much it. There are also CH pedals but that's not the same league.

Just not a lot of choices out there right now, I have had the Saitek Combats for a while and have been holding out for a really good set of pedals, I wanted my next set to probably be the last I would ever need. Kept an eye on the reports and reviews of pedals over the last year or so.

After getting back into DCS and flying mostly the helicopters, I decided it was time to go ahead and pull the trigger. Reading the MFG Crosswind review thread, app 30 pages with nothing but positive comments and praise, it was a no brainer for me. I pulled the trigger in Oct, and they are shipping out today. And dealing with Milan has been a very pleasant experience all the way through the process.

I am really looking forward to getting these and finally having a real quality set of rudder pedals.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

MFG Crosswind Pedals.....hands down. A little expensive, but you aren't buying a toy. I doubt you can find a negative review anywhere. The only negative is the wait for build/shipping. The smoothness and precision is unreal. Who deserves them more than you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

EDIT: Looks like Slaw is manufacturing his F-16 style model now. :)

This F-16 model was discontinued supposedly because is too expensive and laborious to be build. And the "Bf 109" orders are on hold.

But Slaw said in IL-2 Russian forum that in "January 2016" will make a new pedal based in his operation principle:

GT - "F16 no longer manufactured.

On this basis, designed the new pedal (on the basis of the heel on the floor).

Planned several changes in the design.

On BF109 - because of the design of new pedals, orders for while are not accepted.

In January, planned small changes in the construction.

If innovation in new pedals, designed based on the F16 will be successful, will change the pedal BF109. "

Edited by Sokol1_br

MFG Crosswinds - basically a no-brainer if you can afford them.

And overall they are worth every cent you pay for them.

The precise toe brakes alone are worth it.

Highly accurate, highly adjustable and robust.

Only "negative" I came across is they need to be fixed to a board, or the ground or otherwise fixated, but that is shared with virtually any rudders out there, I guess.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Only "negative" I come across is they need to be fixed to a board, or the ground or otherwise fixated, but that is shared with virtually any rudders out there, I guess.

I got the wall spacers ordered with mine ( not sure when he added that option), will be interesting to see how that works as my floor is hardwood. My desk has a solid back, so will be able to rest the wall spacers against the desk back.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Fixed to a board is no problem as I'm going to build a rig for my sim-stuff anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosswinds!!!

But you'll have to be patient as Milan is chasing his tail trying to keep up with demand. May take awhile.:thumbup:

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I just ordered the Crosswind today. Website says shipping in Feb :(

:thumbup:

Congrats, it will be well worth the wait! And actually earlier this year, the wait was a lot longer than that.

Don B

On my hardwood floor, I just put down some friction mats (you can find them anywhere). I'm talking about those mesh pads that's designed to keep furniture from sliding around. Not the ones with adhesive. It doesn't slide around at all.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

On my hardwood floor, I just put down some friction mats (you can find them anywhere). I'm talking about those mesh pads that's designed to keep furniture from sliding around. Not the ones with adhesive. It doesn't slide around at all.

The best solution I've found for a flat surface is 3m picture hanging strips.

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Medium-Picture-Hanging-Strips-12-Picture/dp/B00I2XSWSY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450234845&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+picture+strip

They're like highly reusable Velcro that never wears out. So you can pick your pedals up and put them back down again. As long as you're ok with the bottom half of the strip remaining on the floor. They even work really good for hanging pictures oddly enough.

They won't get gooey and they can be easily removed at any time with the pull tab they have on them. Plus they're the perfect height to work with the crosswinds without taking off the rubber feet even. They seal them down like a rock and they won't budge in the slightest. I use mine on a wheel stand pro, which has a steel platform. Its more convenient than drilling holes in the plate and hard mounting them, because they're plenty stable and can still be pulled off in a second and put back down. In case you want to adjust them, this is handy to not have to take out bolts.

Edited by FeistyLemur

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I tried using shelf liner that looked similar to that stuff but it just didn't work well. Maybe that stuff is stickier. I'll never know since they don't ship to my country, and the one amazon marketplace shop that has that wants 175 dollars for a 12 dollar item.

Edited by FeistyLemur