Air refueling

Cobra

Sure you know what is "this" exactly. There are several (more than one) topics about "this" and still no response from developers.

I know that they`re quite busy now but `d like to see something like this "we are aware of this and will fix it".

Fix what?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, he means the increasing tanker speed after the probe is released. Besides that, aerial refueling is working fine. The radio comms, as well.

We set the tanker at 19.000 feet with 440 kts in the mission editor, which are 325 KIAS ingame. So, the speed increase is only about 25 to 35 knots.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Uh oh...

It's "late" but just in case: gospadin, you made a mistake.

The switch you're referring to is not a radio selector.

The radio selector is on the throttle (will be if not already fixed in DCS) with a 3-position combo selector+PTT. Positions are:

(spring loaded) Select radio 1 & PTT / Standby / (spring loaded) Select radio 2 & PTT

The switch you mentionned is to choose the audio amplifier. 1 is default, 2 is standby. Not very useful to simulate...

What is "this" exactly? Refueling itself?

Long time it works :) perhaps explains the silence ;)

ok thanks for the info

• 3 weeks later...
I think, he means the increasing tanker speed after the probe is released.

"This" is driving me crazy.:joystick: I have to get into a very precise position for the tanker to extend the basket, and then he accelerates away. The tanker also changes its airspeed multiple times while you attempt to refuel (I checked this with F2 view).

I succeeded at refueling, nonetheless, if he flies straight and level, but if he starts turning too it's a giant fail.

What should I do with the mission editor to stop the tanker from changing its airspeed?

Thanks!

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

What should I do with the mission editor to stop the tanker from changing its airspeed?

All you can really do at the moment is make the tanker fly at its maximum possible speed, so it's unable to accelerate further. Try mashing 9999 into the speed field, might have to experiment with different altitudes too.

• 3 months later...

Set the tanker speed to be 300kt IAS and it won't accelerate.

You will have to convert the speed since ME is in TAS. There are plenty of internet sites to do that (the main factor being altitude).

And a few knots off because of different QNH or temperature won't change your business that much...

On top of that, 300kt IAS (ok it isn't really IAS for purist buy you get it) really is the target speed for AAR.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Are you flying with FBW on when tanking? Much easier if you shut it off.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Are you flying with FBW on when tanking? Much easier if you shut it off.

What do you mean? Which switch in the cockpit turns it off? The main problem for me is that the FBW system always retrims, so if you make a small correction by pulling on the stick, once you release the plane will be trimmed in a nose up position and keep flying up rather than making a small corrections only. If that can be turned off, that would help enormously.

Thanks,

Wolle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I started turning off the FBW Gain switch. Its the one to the left of the AA/AG(Charges) switch under the landing gear handle. It has a red cover on it. Take a look at Charlies guide, its on page 113.

I know the books say the Mirage will go nuts and become unflyable but in reality (at this time), it makes the aircraft much more responsive to input required for refueling in my opinion. Never had any issue at all once I employed this method other than having to spend time on it. I have been trying to get it working for me in the "normal" mode but it is much more challenging. Unnecessarily so I would think.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I started turning off the FBW Gain switch. Its the one to the left of the AA/AG(Charges) switch under the landing gear handle. It has a red cover on it. Take a look at Charlies guide, its on page 113.

I know the books say the Mirage will go nuts and become unflyable but in reality (at this time), it makes the aircraft much more responsive to input required for refueling in my opinion. Never had any issue at all once I employed this method other than having to spend time on it. I have been trying to get it working for me in the "normal" mode but it is much more challenging. Unnecessarily so I would think.

Thanks! Will try this!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

When were you going to share this with the rest of your group? Or did you just want to keep it to yourself and look cool while the rest of us bounced around like Flipper on meth....

Um, I..... Er...

Hey Sage shut off the FBW, it'll be easier to tank!!!

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

What do you mean? Which switch in the cockpit turns it off?

None.

You can't fly the aircraft without FBW; it's a misunderstanding to think you can do so. :smartass:

The "gains" switch switches from permanently calculated FBW gains to fixed ones (one for flight ~300kt when L/G is up, one for approach/landing ~150kt when L/G is down).

spacer.png

None.

You can't fly the aircraft without FBW; it's a misunderstanding to think you can do so. :smartass:

The "gains" switch switches from permanently calculated FBW gains to fixed ones (one for flight ~300kt when L/G is up, one for approach/landing ~150kt when L/G is down).

What?

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00LD utilizzando Tapatalk

FBW takes input orders from the pilots through controls (stick & rudder), computers mix that with air pressure, speed, temperature, AoA, G load, FBW configuration switch (AA/ CHARGES), landing gear up/ down...whatever you want and produce output orders to control surfaces.

The output orders depend on variable gains which depend on all variables named above (and maybe more).

You have 3 computers running in parallel to produce these orders and cross-checking.

When things goes south and the cross-check fails (damage, failure...), the system can no longer adapt and can't computes gains for all flights conditions.

So you revert to fixed values and limited flight envelope.

This is what the "GAINS: NORM/ SEC" switch does.

SEC = fixes values.

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

It's just practise! Coming from the F-15 without FBW and doing aerial refueling fine, it was hard to convert to the M-2000C with its FBW. The probe&drogue system was new to master, as well.

Another issue for me was, that I'm using a 9 year old X-52 (non Pro, unmodded, worn-out axis) for that. :D

But "

". ;)

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]