LGB / JTAC works!

tflash

I made a mission with JTAC and am getting 100% game crash when I go to choose my GBU-12's from my weapons panel whether I turn on master arm first or not JTAC has callsign and frequency set, is invisible, bomb choice is guided bombs and designator is set for laser. I know a few of you are having this problem have you had any success with getting around it?

Have you posted track file to bug forum?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I made a mission with JTAC and am getting 100% game crash when I go to choose my GBU-12's from my weapons panel whether I turn on master arm first or not JTAC has callsign and frequency set, is invisible, bomb choice is guided bombs and designator is set for laser. I know a few of you are having this problem have you had any success with getting around it?

It's quite random, but I do have more sucess with selecting EF1, selecting a top row button, turning on master arm, turning off top row. Not sure why...

A friend and I do it all the time.

Both Aircraft set lazer code or use default.

Lazing aircraft selects the target, sets SPI, broadcasts SPI

Bomb dropper Hooks SPI and sets as own SPI

SET GBUs for CCRP release, follow steering cues to release point.

At 10 seconds to fly call for lazer on...

Rinse repeat as necessary.

You do this all the time using a Mirage?

I would really love to see a video that breaks down how to set up the mission using an AI JTAC and then using a Mirage to deploy the bombs (since this is a post about LGB's in a Mirage forum)

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

You do this all the time using a Mirage?

I would really love to see a video that breaks down how to set up the mission using an AI JTAC and then using a Mirage to deploy the bombs (since this is a post about LGB's in a Mirage forum)

+1 for me. I would love to see a video tutorial of an A-10C lasing a Target for the Mirage-2000C with both perspectives and step by step details. Anyone? Please and Thank You.

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

FYI, The crash seems to happen if you use the centerline pylon

If you use Pylons 4 and 7, no crash. At least that was in our tests before we solved the bug.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

FYI, The crash seems to happen if you use the centerline pylon

If you use Pylons 4 and 7, no crash. At least that was in our tests before we solved the bug.

Okay I'll try it, and report back. Thank you.

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

• 2 weeks later...

Can some one give detailed steps how to set this up in a single player mission please?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

Simple JTAC mission

In attach a mission in its simplest form. I put an armored vehicle very close to the target.

In the advanced waypoint actions, I set a command "invisible" and a command "immortal". I also set an option "ROE=WEAPON HOLD" (otherwise the armed Humvee starts shooting)

I then set "Start Enroute task" - "Engage Group"

You indicate the target group, set designation to laser (you can also set WEAPON to guided bombs eg)

Set the radio channel (I put 135 Mhz AM, which is channel 2 on your main U/VHF radio)

Once airborne, Start comms, select the right radio (or use easy comms if you want) and press the key for the JTAC which should show up. The dialogue follows.

The biggest problem is to make the JTAC itself work, has nothing to do with the Mirage.

The JTAC only lases when he is very close to the target (max 1000 feet or so, best even less, that is why I pout it so close and set immortal and invisible), and has line of sight to the target. Depending on terrain this often just does'nt work. there are many places on the map where it doesn't work at all. So it takes a lot of time before you have a mission with actually a working JTAC!

Once the JTAC lases the target "LASER ON" you just do as if you are going to do a CCRP bomb. Mark a zone close to the target as if you would do for CCRP. The difference is the laser will precisely guide your bomb to the target. If you do this missions without labels, add a smoke marker or so nearthe target zone so that you know where it approximately.

FT Mirage Test LGB 2.miz

Jtac.thumb.JPG.1037dcfbb67957a668338c44d974c749.JPG

Edited by tflash
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Tflash! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I can't wait to try this out!

--Maulkin

Great thread thanks,

One thing I will say, and it is mentioned already here or on the other thread about this, be sure to designate the target like you normally do on CCRP, but you need to designate a reasonable distance in front of the target on your inbound track. After extensive testing (and extensive failure) you need to have the small target cross in front of the target on your ingress track.

I assume this assists the bomb as it starts its downward trajectory it picks up the laser and steers to target, it appears that if you have the cross after the target the bomb will over shoot the target but also never see the lase because of the arc it takes keeps the seeker head away from the lase. (which if you think about it makes sense - and dare I say very well modeled?)

Scott

Nulla dies sine linea

[ame]

[/ame]

I agree with ScottyBS, in my video I locked the area in front of my target, probably half a runway in size it seems. It really helps the bomb get its nose down faster to better track the laser.And make sure the laser is on before you drop the GBU.

• 2 weeks later...

Again this is buddy lasing. I am desperately trying to get the JTAC to work. I have slightly modified the mission tflash has linked above (to save on time) and I am still unable to get it to work. See attached track file.

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=135257&d=1456094066

As far as I can see the JTAC has turned on the laser and everything looks good, long before I even turn on the Master Arm switch. In fact the damn thing almost hits a tank just by the ballistics.

Edited by Maulkin

--Maulkin

• 4 weeks later...

so let it be the main LGB/GBU/JTAC thread

Having issues with GBU-12 bombing after update. I set a mission to destroy 4 tanks with help of JTAC and (before update) I was able to destroy at least 3 of em, and sometimes 4. But now after I blow up first one, JTAC shifts to another target but GBU-12 doesn't catch the laser spot anymore ... tried many different ways ... nothing helps

and I recently found this VID:

the guy is using some different "technique without placing the piper of RDI for CCRP"

I also noticed he was getting a mark of target on his HUD after "LASER ON" command to JTAC at 2:55! how's that even possible ? I'm not getting one! I have to find the target by myself and put the diamond of CCRP near it in order to know when to drop the GBU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

he was getting a mark of target on his HUD after "LASER ON" command to JTAC at 2:55! how's that even possible ?

that's not a target mark it's a waypoint marker, YoYo switches to it to get a bearing to target area to judge his release distance so the GBU picks up the laser from high altitude without the pipper

Edited by Dingo_Bob
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

• 2 weeks later...
that's not a target mark it's a waypoint marker, YoYo switches to it to get a bearing to target area to judge his release distance so the GBU picks up the laser from high altitude without the pipper

thanks

Having issues with GBU-12 bombing after update. I set a mission to destroy 4 tanks with help of JTAC and (before update) I was able to destroy at least 3 of em, and sometimes 4. But now after I blow up first one, JTAC shifts to another target but GBU-12 doesn't catch the laser spot anymore ... tried many different ways ... nothing helps

problem solved - had to move the JTAC unit closer to targets ( :( :mad: ) and drop bombs from lower ( :( ) altitude (8-9k instead of 16-17, which I was trying before)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I understood it as angle of descent 44°, 8 to 9 nm to target

Angels 44 = 44.000ft @ M0.95, on a CCRP aspect which is a stable longitudinal flight (check your vertical speed as selecting EL1 w/ Master Arm On will remove the FPM). Watch for your HSI to display 9nm from the TA and the GBU-12 should pick up the laser on its way towards the ground.

The AI JTAC won't give you laser designation on a Type 3 CAS as far as I know though, but even though its not realistic regarding procedures, you can paveway multiple times with 1 mile seperation between each release at such altitude. That way, at each impact, the JTAC will shift on other targets and you should be able to clear 3/4 targets on a single high altitude flyby.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Angels 44 = 44.000ft @ M0.95, on a CCRP aspect which is a stable longitudinal flight (check your vertical speed as selecting EL1 w/ Master Arm On will remove the FPM). Watch for your HSI to display 9nm from the TA and the GBU-12 should pick up the laser on its way towards the ground.

The AI JTAC won't give you laser designation on a Type 3 CAS as far as I know though, but even though its not realistic regarding procedures, you can paveway multiple times with 1 mile seperation between each release at such altitude. That way, at each impact, the JTAC will shift on other targets and you should be able to clear 3/4 targets on a single high altitude flyby.

wow :surprise:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let me know if that works for you aswell. Of course with a CA JTAC (playable by a human) it won't be possible since no one can shift between targets instantly as the AI do.

Haven't done the maths, feel free to run some tests. Maybe someone will be able to sort out the optimal speed, distance and timing to deliver a maximum amount of GBU-12 at HA. I done it only on targets separated by 20/30m.

Flying the M-2000C like that and aiming for high value assets such as SAM or ground radars on multiplayer for instance will help considerably the A-10C to clear any target area faster as they can't go that high, fast and being exposed without terrain masking.

Edited by Sacha

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]