GUIDE: The advanced barrel roll or how to outmaneuver 27ERs

Croncat

So lets assume you have a SU27 at your 6 within 6NM and he is firering 27ERs at you. What to do?

The problem with many maneuvers is, that the bandit will close in the distance, and you risk to get a R73 in your face. So I developed a high 1G maneuver that I call atm advanced barrel roll.

The maneuver starts like a normal barrel roll, lets say you push your stick left and up. So you start like a normal barrel roll, pushing your stick left but instead of continuing you cancel the movement immediatly out. You do the same with the up movement. Rinse and repeat. Therefore the bandit can't close the distance.

Here a small video where you can see this in action.

I use *small* amounts of chaff, for some reason that is not visible in the video.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“The guy you don't see will kill you.”

- Robin Olds

He he good video! My current Pk with the R-27ER is something like 5%, with every missile launched at Rmax, well within parameters. That chaff susceptibility :mad:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

...My current Pk with the R-27ER is something like 5%, with every missile launched at Rmax...

You sure about the Rmax part? 5% sound more like launches between Rtr and Rmin.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

You sure about the Rmax part? 5% sound more like launches between Rtr and Rmin.

Ah, good catch. Yes, I meant to type Rmax 2, which would be Rtr or beneath.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Choo choo!

Another stop in the ER miss-track fun train.

You may find this interesting, its an R-27R's take on the situation: http://imgur.com/njDmtK2

Edit: BTW/For the OP: Looks like that ran out of energy, I've had about zero luck defending a very low aspect, RTR AA-10C with or without CM employment.

I'm talking maybe defeating 3 out of ~10-12 launches in that scenario. (over the past 2 years)

Yeah yeah, I have no evidence of anything... :(

Edit 2: Hmmm...I may have deleted a line or two in my first edit...wth...Probably irrelevant anyway.

Edited by Sweep
Crappy anecdotal evidence is great, right?

Lord of Salt

You may find this interesting, its an R-27R's take on the situation: http://imgur.com/njDmtK2

Edit: BTW/For the OP: Looks like that ran out of energy, I've had about zero luck defending a very low aspect, RTR AA-10C with or without CM employment.

I'm talking maybe defeating 3 out of ~10-12 launches in that scenario. (over the past 2 years)

Yeah yeah, I have no evidence of anything... :(

Edit 2: Hmmm...I may have deleted a line or two in my first edit...wth...Probably irrelevant anyway.

Do you have any tacview recordings by any chance? I'm not saying you're wrong, rather I want to see what I might be doing wrong.

In any case, I think the OP's main point is that those missiles went dumb as soon as they left the rail.

I'm learning the F15 for a week now and try to figure out how to maneuver, and my main point is, that not maneuvering can be sometimes your best bet.

Can be successful, in the case of the video I flew behind some mountains and we lost track of each other.

On the other hand it doesn't work everytime, in the case of the video, after we've lost track of each other, I was bingo fuel and crashed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“The guy you don't see will kill you.”

- Robin Olds

There's a reason why these missiles don't track:

Matched speeds between chaser and runner.

Just try it. If you chase a target and match his speed, your radar will go dumb. Of course you gotta have some separation, like in the video. Works with F-15C and sparrow also. In the case of Su-27 you maintain lock thanks to your IRST. But the ER can't use that (not in game anyway).

I think there was a radar physics -related explanation, but I can't remember it. Maybe someone who knows may enlighten us?

There's another "notch" or blind speed that causes the radar to lose lock besides notching which is zero closure. I haven't seen this phenomenon myself for ages but it was modeled at least in some point or it could be issue only in Su-27 (I fly mostly F-15). So it could simply be that the bandit kept losing lock on you as you both are flying pretty much at the same speed. Your speeds change due to maneuvers which enables the bandit to lock you again and fox another missile just to lose the lock right afterwards again.

2nd edit: What I wrote might be the correct explanation.

This blind speed is due to sidelobe clutter having it's peak amplitude just at the zero closure speed ie. clutter from the sidelobe pointed straight down. This sidelobe has shortest travel distance to ground and 90 degree angle to minimize scattering. This is an issue only at low altitude. Side lobe clutter is also reason why you cant see cold targets as far away as hot ones. Main lobe pointing straight forward has the highest doppler shift from ground echoes and all sidelobes have less doppler shift as they point more or less away from the flying direction, ie. the side lobe clutter has same frequencies as echoes from receding targets.

The reason I'm suspecting this theory is that I'm uncertain if this effect is as strong as is presented in DCS, ie. it should only reduce the detection distance against co-speed cold targets vs. cold targets flying at different speed, not make it pretty much impossible to keep lock on them even at close distances.

Edited by Bushmanni

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

This was modeled with respect to the Flanker/MiG radar but is not at all correct for the APG-63.

There's another "notch" or blind speed that causes the radar to lose lock besides notching which is zero closure. I haven't seen this phenomenon myself for ages but it was modeled at least in some point or it could be issue only in Su-27 (I fly mostly F-15). So it could simply be that the bandit kept losing lock on you as you both are flying pretty much at the same speed. Your speeds change due to maneuvers which enables the bandit to lock you again and fox another missile just to lose the lock right afterwards again.

edit: What I wrote probably isn't correct explanation.

This blind speed is due to sidelobe clutter having it's peak amplitude just at the zero closure speed ie. clutter from the sidelobe pointed straight down. This is an issue only at low altitude. There could be other blind speeds depending on how the signal processing is designed and what radar mode is used but these are not modeled in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda