VR Performance in DCS World

Warthog_Farmer

Did you see that in the game settings the visibility range is set to low? This has a high impact on frames. I can confirm those high fps over Vegas with the GTX1080Ti.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see that in the game settings the visibility range is set to low? This has a high impact on frames. I can confirm those high fps over Vegas with the GTX1080Ti.

^^This! And no shadows are also important I presume. I'm still in the process of figuring out how far I can go. The settings I used when testing were the ones which worked okay with the 980 ti.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Nice spot, I missed that one.

Will try it out.

EDIT: It does seem to improve fps somewhat.

Edited by Neo-ST

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, I'm one of the noob boobs with more money than knowledge. I bought the highest spec'd stuff I could get at the time (May 2017) for the express purpose of flight sims with the Oculus Rift. Giving it to the stock market wasn't getting anywhere. In real life I can fly fixed and rotary wing aircraft so DCS and Flightgear are fun to play with on the Rift.

So what's my point? It seems to me that I'm getting lots of stuttering, the cockpit instruments aren't clear, and overall it just seems that the scenery and cockpit are a bit behind what I am doing at any given time.

Is there a guide that puts all the information into one place as folks figure out what works for them with specific hardware levels? I didn't know you COULD turn off the replay thing, much less how. It's not what I don't know that is the problem, I can learn that... It's what you don't know that you don't know that gets ya killed... I DO know my system isn't tuned up or tuned in but I am at a loss as to how to set it up right.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Hard to get a better system then you have for VR currently.

Just keep in mind DCS 2.1 is still an early Alpha, much new tech introduced into it recently. Hopefully as we march forward and more optimizations made, VR performance will improve. About all you can do now is to lower your settings to the bare minimum, and start working up slowly from there. Strive to maintain a min of 45 fps and strike a balance.

Probably the biggest performance killer currently in DCS for VR is using MSAA in the game. Try to run a higher Pixel Density, say around 1.5-1.8, and see if you can live with no MSAA.

Shadows too are a big hit on performance, start with turning them all off.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

But as a first step, I would renamed the SAVED GAMES - under C:\USERS\... - folder that DCS uses and see if that helps. Many have reported improvements. Don't delete it since the CONFIG folder has the bindings you modified. You can copy the CONFIG folder back over after DCS recreates the SAVED folder.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Define: "great perfomance". What settings, what FPS?

With low enough settings and no action in the air, as long as you maintain 45 fps it will be mostly smooth. Doesn't change the fact, that compared to 2D or 1.5x, FPS in VR is very low and there's no headroom for flying anything more complex.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil WarBRD, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

With low enough settings and no action in the air, as long as you maintain 45 fps it will be mostly smooth. Doesn't change the fact, that compared to 2D or 1.5x, FPS in VR is very low and there's no headroom for flying anything more complex.

I'm only flying the A10C, setting are the VR default with a bit of tweaking. To say 2.1 is unplayable and not even with trying is completely misleading.

I'm not saying it's unplayable, I'm saying it has half of the FPS you get in 1.5 at comparable settings.

Have you even bothered to check my thread? Have you compared your FPS to 1.5? I'm not the only one who noticed significantly lower FPS in VR in 2.1.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil WarBRD, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'm not saying it's unplayable, I'm saying it has half of the FPS you get in 1.5 at comparable settings.

Have you even bothered to check my thread? Have you compared your FPS to 1.5? I'm not the only one who noticed significantly lower FPS in VR in 2.1.

Yes.

Another obvious conclusion is that VR performance in 2.1 is terrible.

Rubbish.

Don't waste your time on DCS 2.1 if you have VR.

Rubbish.

There's no way I could achieve those FPS, with those detail settings and 1.8 SS.

And I have a newer processor and the same graphics card.

How's that possible?

Just turn everything off or to its lowest setting...and ur gtg in DCS with VR. :thumbup:

It is so retro gaming with Vr these days - like gaming back in the 90's with ur potato-PC lol. "Oh..oh..yuss I can almost manage 60fps at min settings!" :lol:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes.

Rubbish.

Rubbish.

Please, prove me wrong. You have all the test tools I used. Simply compare A10 performance in 2D and VR in 1.5 and 2.1.

Edited by some1

Please, prove me wrong. You have all the test tools I used. Simply compare A10 performance in 2D and VR in 1.5 and 2.1.

I don't fixate on measurement like you seem to. I just take off in 2.1 in VR and it looks and feels right. It's playable and I'm not wasting my time.

I've just upgraded my 980 ti to a 1080 ti. Before that I recorded two tracks - one in DCS 1.5 over Batumi and one in DCS 2.0 over Las Vegas (latest versions) so that I could make a good comparison.

Bottom line is that performance improvement in DCS 1.5 is rather small but I get nearly twice the FPS in DCS 2.0, i.e. going from 45 to 90 most of the time.

I made a quick video so that you can better see what is actually compared :) System specs, settings etc. are at the end. Pixel density was set to 1.8.

Great comparison. I think that proves that even with a 980ti, 2.1 in VR is totally playable.

2.1 is in alpha and needs to stay in the oven till its done.

because it is clearly undercooked when it comes to VR..

and as a watched pot never boils. im off flying 1.5 in VR, instead of staring at the oven.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Great comparison. I think that proves that even with a 980ti, 2.1 in VR is totally playable.

Lol, please, it's from 2.0 before the big PBR update. Your quote only proves that this discussion is pointless. Go enjoy your 2.1 alpha.

Edited by some1

Lol, please, it's from 2.0 before the big PBR update. Your quote only proves that this discussion is pointless. Go enjoy your 2.1 alpha.

I will, it's working fine for me. Sorry your system can't handle it or is so poorly configured it can't handle it. Maybe instead of making absolutist statements, you should sort your PC out?

Well, unlike you I have something to back up my statements.

45 FPS, which is a bare minimum for ATW/ASW algorithms to work, when sitting in the middle of the desert doing nothing. Perfectly playable indeed.

The 2D performance is equal with those settings between DCS versions, yet 1.5 gives 50% more FPS in VR.

45 FPS, which is a bare minimum for ATW/ASW algorithms to work, when sitting in the middle of the desert doing nothing. Perfectly playable indeed.

The 2D performance is equal with those settings between DCS versions, yet 1.5 gives 50% more FPS in VR.

I just did the Nevada weapons practice quick mission and all was fine. No stutters or anything, in fact I'd say it was as smooth as glass. Have you got a mission that destroys 2.1 in VR?

Edited by BigDuke6ixx

An empty practice mission with clear sky in the middle of the desert is the least taxing benchmark you can imagine. That's what I wrote on the beginning.

Try to fly a fast mission in bad weather.

Edited by some1

An empty practice mission with clear sky in the middle of the desert is the least taxing benchmark you can imagine. That's what I wrote on the beginning.

Try to fly a fast mission in bad weather.

That's how you do all your benchmarking in DCS is it? I also did the CAS mission, which would be a typical job for a pair of A10s to be tasked, that was smooth as glass too.

Edited by BigDuke6ixx