Looking for good joystick for LockOn

Guest oldpilot

Guest ThomasDWeiss

I was thinking of doing a review about the Cougar x X-45 - maybe I will.

If you can't test them - get a X-52, it is less than $100 and you won't feel like you spend too much, remember, a joystick won't last more than a year and a half of constant use.

Start with a X-52 from Saitek http://www.saitek.com for about the same money you'll also have rudder control (twist stick). If one day you want to upgrade you can buy pedals (CH PROPEDALS http://www.chproducts.com or the soon for sale SAITEK PEDALS) and a awesome and precise stick as the FIGHTERSTICK or COMBAT STICK from CH http://www.chproducts.com

Other Tools: defenitly TrackIR (any version from TrackIR2)

I had the Microsoft of ebay and it's very precise (VERY!) but not enough buttons. I had also the Thrustmaster Cougar http://www.thrustmaster.com and I sent it back to dealer in few days, didn't like it at all.

Robbie.

oh, I also have CH THROTTLE but the range of movement it's about half of the Saitek X52, that's not enough if ya need precise controlling of the RPM, and even if someone will say that it is enough, consider that is always half of Saitek's... it's also pivoted (you can feel where it is, in CH you have to look where it is) and it's a lot (A LOT!) more smooth to move.

Robbie.

If you can't test them - get a X-52, it is less than $100 and you won't feel like you spend too much, remember, a joystick won't last more than a year and a half of constant use.

I have had my CH set-up:joystick: for over 2 years, and it feels like I just took it out of the box. And it has a ton of hours of use out of it, 1 1/2 years :chair:

You muts have HULK like hands. The only cases where that has aplied to me was during the times I used Thrusmaster stuff where indeed those f-4 replicas desintegrated under my grasp. I swiched from MS sidwinders and now the X52, all were used extensively, none broke, and my saitek is aging well. I dont see it break for at least for another 2 years.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Guest ThomasDWeiss
You muts have HULK like hands. The only cases where that has aplied to me was during the times I used Thrusmaster stuff where indeed those f-4 replicas desintegrated under my grasp. I swiched from MS sidwinders and now the X52, all were used extensively, none broke, and my saitek is aging well. I dont see it break for at least for another 2 years.

:D

depends on luck -some people complain that their joysticks fall appart quickly, my old X-45 was OK but started to send sudden inputs that send the fighter into a spin.

The X-52 is the best bang for the buck. Looks great, feels great, and has a large array of buttons and functions, more than enough for LOMAC.

Actualy...its not. I could use 1 or 2 more hats. And those rotaries are far from ideal for me, the vertical one barely moves at all, much less with 1 finger. I have the CH here too (not mine) and I feel it to be overkill (not a bad thing), but it also has its problems (ergonomic in nature).

Hope that X64 comes along quick! ;)

My PC specs below:

Put the bong down and step away. More throw doesn't necessarily mean more precise.

Thats the funniest thing I've read in quite a while.... I just had to say that rugg (LOL)..

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

You need a HOTAS, that is a must. Some good hotas out there are X-52, Ch products...etc

As for other tools you need is a trackir.

Hi Oldpilot,

I think your setup is good and will fit your needs. I use the Sidewinder Precision 2 joy (without FF) and I'm very satisfied with this piece of HW. It doesn't require any calibration due to it's optical sensor technology and it's very solid built. I've been using it for more than 3 yrs and it looks like a new one - no wear at all and all the buttons response still perfectly. I also like a "twist" feature of the stick - it's pretty handy if you don't have a rudder pedals.

So if you don't want to spend money on some new setup I think this one will work good for you. There are better sticks available of course (including HOTAS setups which are the best - no doubt about it) but more fun = more money - so decide if you want the best available HOTAS setup or if you can live with this one and spend your saved money for e.g. TIR as SuperKungFu suggested which will help you way more...

Jay

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice, OC to 2,66 GHz), MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nForce 3 250 Gb), 1,5 GB Corsair PC-3200 RAM, GeForce 7800GS 256 MB VGA (G71, OC to 535/1550 MHz, ForceWare 84.21), 2 x 300 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA HDD (RAID 0), SB Audigy 2 ZS, 480W Thermaltake PurePower TWV PSU, Win XP SP2, MS SideWinder Precision 2, Belkin Nostromo n52 SpeedPad, HP L1902

Thomas, may I just correct here from my experience: I have had my CH Fighterstick (and Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals) for at least 5 years now and I use them everyday and everything works still very well. Maybe a stick of better quality costs a bit more but lasts also longer?

By the way, if you read this, may I take the occasion to thank you very much for all what you do for this community by putting together the greatest and most up-to-date library of files for our SIM.!

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

I have a Cougar now for about a year. I am a 'hamfist' sorry to say, and it has no problems taking what I give it.

I have an X45 also, and the bottom part the sits under the spring started to wear within months, and became a pain for precise movement. It was a really good price tho, and I hear the X52 is great.

Wouldnt trade my Cougar for nothing though, the only problem I have is that when I get in tense dogfight, my hands sweat, and the metal becomes slick.

Probably too much coffee LOL!

after wasting my time on inferior equipment for years i am now the latest convert to CH products gear, you get what you pay for.

cannot comment on the pro throttle's throw or accuracy as i only have the combatstick, so far i have been most impressed with its performance.

soon to get a fighter stick for the extra functions that the combat stick lacks.

just like the bong, different things appeal to different people, and that will never change.

so take in everyones advice but take it all with a grain of salt.

i'd say the gear you are considering off ebay there looks like a great start,

and as others have mentioned, do yourself a favour and get a trackir also.

X52 is better for start considering the initial investiment on a hobby he may not fully dominate yet.

CH is for serious simmers, those that stood long enough to know their trade and want to continue in the business of increasing his own combat potential. :D

36.jpg

My PC specs below:

14 ball bearings, magnetic motion sensor from Philips, usb, cca u$d 300:

vkb_01.gif

These guys are selling magnetic sensor kits for Cougar and Saitek, also working on sturdy joy for planes and helicopters.

And yes, it's a russian crap so the F22 has better rudders, lol..

Wow that's nice peace of HW Fufunka - what's the make?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice, OC to 2,66 GHz), MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nForce 3 250 Gb), 1,5 GB Corsair PC-3200 RAM, GeForce 7800GS 256 MB VGA (G71, OC to 535/1550 MHz, ForceWare 84.21), 2 x 300 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA HDD (RAID 0), SB Audigy 2 ZS, 480W Thermaltake PurePower TWV PSU, Win XP SP2, MS SideWinder Precision 2, Belkin Nostromo n52 SpeedPad, HP L1902

I tried the CH and own the X52. Heres my review:

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=15906&highlight=thunderdome

And it also tells you how to make a simple MOD to increase the Saitek's return tension if you ever feel its too loose.

My PC specs below:

14 ball bearings, magnetic motion sensor from Philips, usb, cca u$d 300:

vkb_01.gif

These guys are selling magnetic sensor kits for Cougar and Saitek, also working on sturdy joy for planes and helicopters.

And yes, it's a russian crap so the F22 has better rudders, lol..

LOL!! I can kill my cats if they walk between my legs while I'm flying with this

Robbie.