How is trim set on a hat switch up and down?

joebloggs

I have always set trim so that when I push forward on my hat switch the aircraft moves down, just like my joystick pitches the nose down when I push it forwards. I have now seen someone do a setup where if you push forward on the hat switch you are trimming up. This makes me think I've had it wrong all along. So, is pushing forward on the hat switch trim up in a real aircraft and pulling back trim down? Thanks!

Edited by joebloggs

I have always set trim so that when I push forward on my hat switch the aircraft moves down, just like my joystick pitches the nose down when I push it forwards. I have now seen someone do a setup where if you push forward on the hat switch you are trimming up. This makes me think I've had it wrong all along. So, is pushing forward on the hat switch trim up in a real aircraft and pulling back trim down? Thanks!

Wrong or right, its the way I set it too. I've set it up like that forever based on the way the way the A-10C and Warthog is set up. Since then I've kept it the same for all aircraft for commonality and to help the way my small brain runs my muscle memory. On that point, I try to keep as many functions as common as possible on my HOTAS across all aircraft. Dare I say it also seems logical to me as well?

I agree you're correct. I've never heard of an aircraft where pushing "forward" on the trim hat will move your nose up.

All planes either its a trim wheel or a trim knob, follows the stick movment....

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

There are folks who have configured their pedals so that when the push the right pedal the plane turns left. It works but that doesn't make it correct. Same with the trim hat.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There are folks who have configured their pedals so that when the push the right pedal the plane turns left. It works but that doesn't make it correct. Same with the trim hat.

+1

Ironically, some of the same folks who do things like that are "very vocal, hard-line sticklers" for "total accuracy in a simulation". They count rivets and complain about the accuracy of the flight model...yet they do things like that... or they fly with a mouse or use a racing wheel for a yoke.:doh:

Edited by ggerman

All planes either its a trim wheel or a trim knob, follows the stick movment....

There are other less intuitive systems that don't really follow the stick movement. Piper comes to my mind...

[ame]

[/ame]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]