F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

4 hours ago, AusMumbles said:

Bit of an aside but I'm getting some more of the details on the seat finished up. I'm looking for a high quality image of the seat pre-flight checklist on the left side of the seat headrest so I can make it up as a part of vinyl sticker pack. Any pics would be greatly appreciated. 

All I could come up with:

https://live.staticflickr.com/195/519443107_d3246c9288_b.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KlIAAOSwG4hfd8r4/s-l1600.jpg

You can also try to contact Chris, info at the bottom: http://www.ejectionsite.com/wood1.htm

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

You can't get the whole image at once in high resolution without buying a print, I think, but the preview will let you zoom in pretty close for small bits at a time.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/ejection-seat-grumman-f-14b-tomcat-v2-john-straton.html

ss (2023-03-03 at 01.35.49).jpgss (2023-03-03 at 01.35.33).jpg

First one gets cut off, but the second image looks like it covers the second half of the list pretty well (if you can read around the watermark).

Edited by Chronocidal
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 7:37 PM, Chronocidal said:

All looking amazing folks!  I'm midway through solving whether I want to go full F-14 or hybrid Horncat pit.  It's not hard to mix the two for VR purposes at least, left and right upper consoles can easily fit everything for both, but I'm trying to work out a scheme for making the wingsweep and flap handles work with the WinWing Hornet throttle.

I've been working towards that myself in how I'd envision the F-14E.  Basically 3 DDI across the front and an AMPCD where the HSD is. Left vertical panel would have the Hornet E-Brake and Select jettison and Landing Gear handles in their Tomcat equivalent positions  while still having the Tomcat nose strut, fuel, spoiler switches, etc (probably reusing these Hornet flaps, etc).  Rather than the ACM panel bind the top center DDI top row for most of the ACM buttons and above that a miniaturized UFC (Similar to the F-15EX) with the ACM and master arm levers on the ends (they'd be flipped in real life like the F-14D and F-14B Upgrade with Sparrowhawk but for sim purposes be where they are in the F-14A and B.  

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

On 3/3/2023 at 5:40 AM, AusMumbles said:

G'day Gents,

Hope everyone is keeping well. Just thought I would post some progress of the laser cut parts I'm working on this weekend. I've pretty much finished the Caution Advisory Indicator design.  

It's a bit of a hail mary but I'm thinking about trying to get a run on digital EIG cluster from the B model made with a custom PCB and screen. If its achievable I'll ship them to anyone building a Turkey pit for cost price. 

Bit of an aside but I'm getting some more of the details on the seat finished up. I'm looking for a high quality image of the seat pre-flight checklist on the left side of the seat headrest so I can make it up as a part of vinyl sticker pack. Any pics would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Mumbles

F-14B Panels + Laser Cut Parts.jpg

gru7ahead.jpg

Labels.jpg

Hey @AusMumbles,

nice to see your progress, cant wait to start my own build. Regarding the EIG, i would be interested in a PCB, but just fyi you can export it to a screen via viewports. A custom solution would be epic though!

General question, do you intend on putting your designs up in the dropbox set up by Dino Might? Its been rather quiet there as of late. Or will you sell them?

Cheers

• Like 1

Blitz_signature.png

Got a lot of work done this weekend. gauges are non functional, but switches, buttons and pots will work, as well as the 7 segment LEDS.. hopefully335293394_5967621233344635_3228410776055505240_n.jpg334798632_1303590803834119_9129406318192236923_n.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 11

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Gents, 

Thanks for those images, they are good enough I can make it work.

@Elo I haven't seen Dino online in a long while. Long term I'll aim to setup a website or something to host all the files on for free, including a proper build log to follow along with.

I'm at the point where I'm pretty much done with the frame so I'm happy to post the updated plans knowing it's correct. 

My next big job (outside of my own build) to allow people to get started is converting all the sketchup files to svg. This should allow for easy tool path conversion or printing on A0 at officeworks to make templates. Once I've done that I'll post it in this thread in the interim. I posted the sketchup model quite a few post back if you are chasing a starting point. 

Excluding the skin on the port side, a lot of bog and paint she's starting to take a really nice shape. 

Any thoughts on the paint scheme? I'm leaning towards a 2003-4 VF-103 CAG bird.

20230313_195903.jpg

20230313_195852.jpg

20230313_195842.jpg

Edited by AusMumbles
  • Like 4

On 3/23/2023 at 7:29 PM, AusMumbles said:

Howdy Gents, 

@Elo I haven't seen Dino online in a long while. Long term I'll aim to setup a website or something to host all the files on for free, including a proper build log to follow along with.

I'm at the point where I'm pretty much done with the frame so I'm happy to post the updated plans knowing it's correct. 

My next big job (outside of my own build) to allow people to get started is converting all the sketchup files to svg. This should allow for easy tool path conversion or printing on A0 at officeworks to make templates. Once I've done that I'll post it in this thread in the interim. I posted the sketchup model quite a few post back if you are chasing a starting point. 

Excluding the skin on the port side, a lot of bog and paint she's starting to take a really nice shape. 

20230313_195903.jpg

20230313_195852.jpg

20230313_195842.jpg

Man that looks amazing, Ive recently started remaking my panels to more accurate dimensions, then I'm starting on the frame!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hitmanalpha1 said:

Man that looks amazing, Ive recently started remaking my panels to more accurate dimensions, then I'm starting on the frame!

Thanks brother! Are you going to do the full pit or something a bit more smaller scale?

On 3/24/2023 at 1:29 AM, AusMumbles said:

Howdy Gents, 

20230313_195903.jpg

20230313_195852.jpg

20230313_195842.jpg

Hi Mumbles,

your build is looking amazing, its really coming together! A Jolly Rogers paint scheme would look epic, the yellow and black has always been a favourite of mine.

Regarding plans, a while back i free-trialed Sketch-Up and made some .step files of your 3D model, mainly the structural ribs and the pilots front console. (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MiMN16Nzrb-pC20SYqPS2N5epRWuT_Eq?usp=sharing for anyone interested). You mentioned updated plans though, id really appreciate if you shared those 🙂

A dedicated website with plans and build logs would be really cool. Having the ribs CNC-cut i think i can manage, but that canopy frame looks like something above my abysmal carpenting skills xD.

Seeing your progress really gives me hope that i too can make this dream come true. Once i start out ill be sure to post some pics here. The only thing im missing right now is space 😉

Cheers,

Elo

Edited by Elo
  • Like 1

Blitz_signature.png

So here's the crazy question.. how do you plan on installing instruments and components in the pit once it's complete?  I'm assuming it'll involve pulling out the panel surfaces and building the switches and buttons into the back sides, but is that going to take a massive re-work of things to make room?  Or did you build space for the instrumentation into the frames holding the panels?

Looks amazing, and way too big for my cockpit room. 😄 

On 3/29/2023 at 6:56 AM, AusMumbles said:

Thanks brother! Are you going to do the full pit or something a bit more smaller scale?

Full pilot cockpit. I had already done all the left and right console panels, but they weren't to scale. I just used what I had. I'm trying to get it as accurate as possible this time around with backlighting.

• Like 1

Updated the ACM panel to be more realistic, thought I would take a photo of the 3 pieces that make up the desk mounted panels. They're all mounted to virpil long desk mounts. Getting close to being done with this. Still have to wire up the knobs and switches for the left gauges and the panels on the right sidewall panels. Really just want to play with it for a few months before I start adding stuff.fd7db05ff395c794f8efb962bab5eb9a.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

21 hours ago, LASooner said:

Updated the ACM panel to be more realistic

Buttons popping out randomly? 😉

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

LASooner, 

That's some of the best looking panels/instruments I've seen to date man. Can't wait till you get the itch and put all the parts in a full pit. 

Are you happy with the ACM panel mod you did to the Tek creations panel or do you just recommend making one from scratch myself?

Elo, 

Good news, I now know the plans work for the front seat. I've more or less finished the front seat build myself and haven't had any major mods to do on it so expect I'll release the 1.0 plans.

I'll drop the updated sketchup plans in the next week or so. I've got about 3 different sketchup files on 2 computers I need to collate together before I can upload it. Give me a few weeks and I'll get the SVGs ready to go as well.

Chrono,

It's all setup around DZUS rails on the left and right panels (I still have to cut some deeper slots with my Dremel on mine for some of the larger switches etc. (The updated plans has it already modelled, ready to go). 

The left and right instrument panels are 3d printed buckets with a laser cut acrylic face. The instuments bolts on to the acrylic face to make it easy to do maintenance. (I'll put some better CAD screenshots up soon to show you what I mean). 

I finally got some time to get some work done on the rest of the frame this weekend. Still working on finishing off alot of the external artwork but I'm so happy with how it's looking so far. 

I've also ordered some new hardware recently. I've got a set of TPR pedals, a laserwing FFB kit (https://www.laserwing.com/miniffb)and a Haptic Feedback Pad (https://nextlevelracing.com/products/hf8-haptic-gaming-pad/)  in the mail to add to the pit. 

20230410_122449.jpg

20230410_113755.jpg

20230409_124903.jpg

Edited by AusMumbles
English
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Oh boy, even modular so it will fit thrue doors. So nice. 

I wait for the phantom and then deceide which road I want to follow. 

Still dreaming of a full sim pit, even so I envy LASooner for his deskpit. Sadly I currently don't have enough room to go that road. The full pit I could assemble in my shop and as soon as it is done I need to kick one off the kids out of the house and conquer the room. If I kick both, I can have a F-14 and a F-4 pit. 

Kids, come down please.... daddy need to talk to you. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AusMumbles said:

Chrono,

It's all setup around DZUS rails on the left and right panels (I still have to cut some deeper slots with my Dremel on mine for some of the larger switches etc. (The updated plans has it already modelled, ready to go). 

The left and right instrument panels are 3d printed buckets with a laser cut acrylic face. The instuments bolts on to the acrylic face to make it easy to do maintenance. (I'll put some better CAD screenshots up soon to show you what I mean). 

I finally got some time to get some work done on the rest of the frame this weekend. Still working on finishing off alot of the external artwork but I'm so happy with how it's looking so far. 

I've also ordered some new hardware recently. I've got a set of TPR pedals, a laserwing FFB kit (https://www.laserwing.com/miniffb)and a Haptic Feedback Pad (https://nextlevelracing.com/products/hf8-haptic-gaming-pad/)  in the mail to add to the pit. 

That is truly a work of art, bravo!  Glad the seat worked out so well, I reworked your older design a lot for mine, but the size and proportions feel perfect.

Good deal with the DZUS rails, I think I'm going to wind up going with a more modular button box design to let me swap panels in and out for other aircraft, both on the consoles and front panels.  I've currently got the left console designed around mounting a WinWing Super Taurus throttle, which I plan to just use for whatever I fly since it feels so solid.  Since the F-18 left console panel is a separate USB device that mounts to the throttle box, my current plan is to build a dedicated F-14 console that I can swap in with the same mount.  The switches should all be easy, but the tricky part will be building a flap and wingsweep handle into the box.  They'll have to slide on curved tracks above the console, since the throttle box takes the space those levers would need to occupy.

I'm undecided about the right console still, since I might keep it flat to support either a mouse or side-mounted stick.  Flying primarily in VR means a lot of the less-used controls are easy to just click with a mouse.

Congrats on the TPR though, I've been using those for a couple years and I don't think anything else comes close to that swinging motion they use.  Had not heard of the FFB kit though, that sounds like it should be a nice upgrade to (what I assume is) the Warthog.  I've been using an older Virpil CM2 base with a 30cm extension (20cm S-curve, and 10 cm straight), and it's just about the perfect proportions and travel for the seat, but building your own FFB should be a great experience.

• Like 1

Thanks @AusMumbles for your efforts, cant wait for your plans. Nice work on the paintjob!

Speaking of mounting solutions, after days of dealing with Fedex and customs ive finally got my DZUS fasteners to compliment the rails i got cheap of Ebay.
The fasteners though... werent exactly cheap to say the least (Definetly wouldnt recommend buying them new!), but well. Now i only need to find a way to paint them black.

Glad to see everyones progress, @LASooner yours looks amazing, and the fact its all desk mounted blows my mind!

Cheers,

Elo

20230412_131538.jpg

• Like 3

Blitz_signature.png

On 4/11/2023 at 5:54 AM, AusMumbles said:

LASooner, 

That's some of the best looking panels/instruments I've seen to date man. Can't wait till you get the itch and put all the parts in a full pit. 

Are you happy with the ACM panel mod you did to the Tek creations panel or do you just recommend making one from scratch myself?

Yes, it saved me a lot of work trying to figure out all the electronics, it might not be dimensionally accurate, but it's really close and you'd never really notice much. The functioning slip indicator is something I'm not Arduino savvy enough to pull off.  I bought mine off someone on these forums, but if I hadn't I'd be satisfied at full price. The artist in me had to make it look better though. 

And if I get one more joke about putting the wire over the buttons..... 🙂

On 4/12/2023 at 12:58 PM, Elo said:

ow i only need to find a way to paint them black.

Glad to see everyones progress, @LASooner yours looks amazing, and the fact its all desk mounted blows my mind!

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 7:02 AM, Cobra847 said:

Hey guys,

I've uploaded a few of the major front cockpit parts at the link below:

http://media.heatblur.se/F-14_B_Cockpit_Dimensions.rar

License: non-commercial, personal-use only. We encourage you to share any models you make based on these.

Hope it helps! Units are 1 unit = 1.0m

Is this not available anymore?

Edited by 81banana

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 6:58 PM, 81banana said:

Is this not available anymore?

Banana- the Wayback Machine managed to archive the Heatblur 3D file, you should be able to grab it here.

I'm starting the process of working on my cockpit using it, beginning with the stick. I ordered one of the LaserWing DIY FFB kits and am currently modifying it to match the Tomcat style. Per Randy at LaserWing, all that needs to be done is to extend the roll axis FFB bar which actually matches the control linkage anyways... Once I get that nailed down, a dress-up kit is the next step as I already have a VKB grip to use!

Also wanted to drop kudos to everyone who's been sharing parts, plans, etc. here. Y'all are the best of us! Especially Mumbles' esteemed co-pup-lot 😁

-LDA

Edited by lawn_dart_actual
  • Like 2

Think of the stupidest button box you could make for DCS.... yup. I made it.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/tape-player-button-box-for-dcs-f-14-tomcat

Hey Heatblur, if you're watching we need an axis for the tape deck volume. I had to use a rotary to control the volume and it's not very precise.

photo-final.jpg Free 3D file Tape Player Button Box for DCS F-14 Tomcat・3D printing idea to download

Edited by LASooner
  • Like 13