Multi crew questions and answers

Pat01

Hi Gents, feel free to ask anything about multi crew here, so everything will be at the same place.

Originally Posted by BeastyBaiter

Will we be able to use both seats still or will the player be locked to the pilot's seat like the L-39 when flying solo?

Answer

- If you start a multiplayer mission with 2 guys on board, each player will appear at its own place, meaning pilot appears at pilot position and copilot at copilot position and swapping position won't be possible

- If you start a multiplayer mission as pilot without copilot, you'll be able to swap to the copilot position

- You won't be able to fly the module as copilot without pilot

- In the case you are two aboard, The pilot will have some commands and the copilot different commands, meaning both cannot rotate the same button for example

- When flying as pilot alone, every command will be available

Edited by Pat01

Thx

Q:

Can a player that does not own the Gazelle take the gunner position?

I know this has been asked bevore. But maybe there is some new info about the topic by now. :)

I think the ability for people to use the second seat without owing the module would not just be a great feature for the players but also a financially a sound decision. (for all modules with multi seat aircraft)

As it both increases the desirability of the module as well as give the community a great tool to get new players into DCS and grow the player base as a whole.

So, if that would be technically possible.... :)

For clarification on the matter of the CPG not being able to fly without a pilot- does that mean he cannot take flight control period or there has to be a pilot client to exchange control? If the former, then Will exchange of flight control eventually be possible? The real helicopter has dual controls so it would be nice if the copilot/gunner could swap control with the pilot.

Thank you for creating this Q/A thread! Polychop and Razbam have set a gold standard for communication and in my opinion deflated the arguments against Dev communication flow proving this works extremely well

Q:

Can we start in MP as a switchable solo pilot/co-pilot but allow a player to take the co-pilot slot mid flight i.e. if a RL wingman gets shot down performing a pop up attack, can he take over my co-pilot rather than re-spawning back at base ?

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

A (GrmlZ) : Unfortunately no, you will need to buy it.

A (Ramsay, post#4) : Yes, you can start flying on your own and then get joined by a friend while in flight. If you have the L-39, it uses the same basic system : When you get slotted in the copilot position, a pop up window will display to the pilot, asking him if he grants you the access to the helicopter or not. For the controls switching, they are not yet done, currently work is spent on finishing the cockpit switches, but sure being able to swap would be ideal, just : no work on it yet, so no promises.

Edited by dimitriov

The module cannot be flown at the moment without a pilot (i.e only copilot)

When you start a mission as copilot without pilot you appear in game with no cockpit or helicopter.

It's what we experienced, I'm not sure we can do a different way at the moment.

If you're the pilot and the copilot goes back to Spectator or else, you'll still be able to fly plus you can access all available commands in cockpit (like in single player)

Next time i'll try If you're the copilot and the pilot dies or get out of the helicopter, it seems to me the helicopter disappears, I'll check and let you know.

Once again, it's not what we have coded, just what we experienced. If we can change things about that, it will be done.

@Kiwi and Ramsey

The fact you cannot fly alone as copilot has more to do with the module is not able to load without a pilot.

About the controls when both players are aboard

For what is planned now, the flight controls (pedals, stick) will be available for both pilots, but once at a time.

It means we'll have to add some toggle to allow both controls in turn.

We are still looking for other possibilities.

Edited by Pat01

- In the case you are two aboard, The pilot will have some commands and the copilot different commands, meaning both cannot rotate the same button for example

Does that mean for example, that one one can operate the radios - or anything else that is located at the center console?

I would hope that buttons that cannot be rotated, because you're supposed to push them. :P

Wordplay aside, it seems pretty logical that both players should have access to switches, knobs and cup holders in the center console, where only a single player can reach switches that the other player would not physically be able to reach in real life. (Unless he leaves his seat, A pilot has no way to physically reach the dust screen switches on the MI-8 or program a new course into the doppler system. for example.)

If only writing code was as easy as "well, it's logical for it to work that way." :)

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

@Kiwi and Ramsey

The fact you cannot fly alone as copilot has more to do with the module is not able to load without a pilot.

About the controls when both players are aboard

For what is planned now, the flight controls (pedals, stick) will be available for both pilots, but once at a time.

It means we'll have to add some toggle to allow both controls in turn.

We are still looking for other possibilities.

Awesome, exchange of controls is good enough for me! Can't wait!

What happens when you have both players but mid flight the pilot player disconnects? Will you be able to freely switch slots as the co-pilot?

Can you switch seats with keybinds or do you have to do it via the MP menu?

Does switching seats change your slot in MP? Meaning you are flying solo and decide to go to the co-pilot seat, then some guy can join taking the pilot slot. Also if it does change slots does it product MP events?

Will there be an option to restrict aircraft to be flyable to 1 pilot? Meaning there is only one slot available and it can't be multicrewed for that specific aircraft.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thx

Q:

Can a player that does not own the Gazelle take the gunner position?

I know this has been asked bevore. But maybe there is some new info about the topic by now. :)

I think the ability for people to use the second seat without owing the module would not just be a great feature for the players but also a financially a sound decision. (for all modules with multi seat aircraft)

As it both increases the desirability of the module as well as give the community a great tool to get new players into DCS and grow the player base as a whole.

So, if that would be technically possible.... :)

I would LOVE this, what a great idea for breaking down the learning curve!

@Grimes : Currently, and it may not change, when you first select the helicopter as pilot, you kinda "enable" it. Even if someone comes with you as copilot, and even if he gets in the slot before you, if you disconnect, the helicopter will disappear, and the copilot will come back to spectator.

Once both people are in cockpit, you cannot change your seat, and as I said before, you need to be in the pilot slot to enable the helicopter, so you have to choose who does what before getting cockpit.

If you got in cockpit before your friend, and you decided to get on the copilot seat, once he joins and gets cockpit, you will automatically be switched back to the pilot seat.

For the option, I don't really understand the purpose. If you're piloting your gazelle alone, and that someone wants to come with you as copilot, a pop up window will display to ask you if you grant him the access. So you simply have to say "no". At the current moment, there is no possibility to set the helicopter on "1 player only" mode.

Is this multi-crew developpement only for DCS:Gazelle or is it the first stone placed to developpe at last a "standard tool" for every modul ?

Or will every third party or ED have to developpe his own "different programmed" multi crew ?

Is Multi crew active now?

Also, is it possible to see each others mouse cursor during flight as this will aid training and more importantly aid target acquisition!

Perhaps different cursor colours to help when every one is pointing at once.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

All third-party developers have access to the same tools, so they can add the code for multi-crew in their modules. It's not something that ED just turns on and it works on every module...there is a lot of extra code that needs to be added to make sure everything is synced correctly.

Is this multi-crew developpement only for DCS:Gazelle or is it the first stone placed to developpe at last a "standard tool" for every modul ?

Or will every third party or ED have to developpe his own "different programmed" multi crew ?

Not that I can tell. Not sure it's even possible. Right now we have to keep two cockpits essentially in sync, adding more things to sync could create more issues. We're working hard to get things going....if ED adds the capability to sync the mouse in the future it might get added.

Is Multi crew active now?

Also, is it possible to see each others mouse cursor during flight as this will aid training and more importantly aid target acquisition!

Perhaps different cursor colours to help when every one is pointing at once.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Lets the basics done and then we'll talk fancy options. Maybe add a seat warmer...maybe a hula dancing girls on the dash....all in good time.

By the way, welcome fellow coder : come on, write me something to display my friend's mouse cursor in 3 dimensions on the cockpit while I'm not even on the same position than him ^^

Ah, and FPS friendly btw please ;)

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester