New GME software

sedenion

ED have choose the new way of modding DCS, breaking with the past, we should do the same with a new modding tool.

Ok dear Software-Architect... tell me how...

I know it's time consuming,

Not so much... but mod-makers would have to write a full configuration file, and you'll see that almost no one will spend time for that, they will do as usual: Writing a readme to tell you what to do... So you'll have to re-create the mod yourself to make it compatible with the software...

The strenght of JSGME, and then OvGME is that mods are easy to creates... But did you see lot of natively OvGME complient zip-archive mods donwloadable for DCS ? NO... Why ? Because mod-makers don't want to spend time for that... so, imagine if a mod requier to create a full structured specific hierarchy and/or with hand writed script-config file ?

You ask for something that NO ONE will use, except, one, two... three people... and here I speak only for DCS... outside DCS world, such feature would be a total overkill and break the commodity of the legacy JSGME system... make a pole, we will see.

but, if possible, you should dedicate a fork of your project to DCS(DCSGME?:D)

Do it yourself.

Edited by sedenion

Ok dear Software-Architect... tell me how...

In OVGME, during Make-Mod Archive creation, you already must create a section for mod description and mod version numbering: add a checkbox in Make-Mod window for use Main dir or Saved Games Dir, this value will be saved in the txt file zipped in the archive of the mod.

Not so much... but mod-makers would have to write a full configuration file, and you'll see that almost no one will spend time for that, they will do as usual: Writing a readme to tell you what to do... So you'll have to re-create the mod yourself to make it compatible with the software...

The strenght of JSGME, and then OvGME is that mods are easy to creates... But did you see lot of natively OvGME complient zip-archive mods donwloadable for DCS ? NO... Why ? Because mod-makers don't want to spend time for that... so, imagine if a mod requier to create a full structured specific hierarchy and/or with hand writed script-config file ?

You ask for something that NO ONE will use, except, one, two... three people... and here I speak only for DCS... outside DCS world, such feature would be a total overkill and break the commodity of the legacy JSGME system... make a pole, we will see.

Actually my mods published here are only OvGME compatible, I don't see any difficult in a config file done using an interface. I'm with you when you say you want mantain an universal app for mantaining mods, but you are posting in DCS forums: if you make a poll here, you can imagine that every people want a DCS oriented app:music_whistling:

Do it yourself.

If I was capable, I would already downloaded the sourcecode of your OvGME from github and started working on it: sadly, I'm not a programmer;)

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

In OVGME, during Make-Mod Archive creation, you already must create a section for mod description and mod version numbering: add a checkbox in Make-Mod window for use Main dir or Saved Games Dir, this value will be saved in the txt file zipped in the archive of the mod.

Why using a text file for that, since the destination path could be chosen by the user, by switching, for example configuration, or, in the current in-dev logic, by switch "context" ? There is no real benefits...

Because the Main or Saved games dir destination should be choosen by the mod creator, not by the final user.

For example, a skin for DCS 2.5 should install in Saved Games dir, while a mod that replace a core lua file should overwrite the file in the Main dir.(the mod that are breaking Integrity check for example)

The final user should only load your program and set for the 1st time the main path of DCS.

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Because the Main or Saved games dir destination should be choosen by the mod creator, not by the final user.

For example, a skin for DCS 2.5 should install in Saved Games dir, while a mod that replace a core lua file should overwrite the file in the Main dir.(the mod that are breaking Integrity check for example)

The final user should only load your program and set for the 1st time the main path of DCS.

I am sorry, but, this feature would be only DCS specifics... the Module/Context feature will be theorically be here to facilitate this for users.

• 3 weeks later...

sedenion, in your new version.. would you consider to make the list of Configurations(Games) as a list on the left side that is always visible? Instead of the combo box drop-down list that you currently have.

If I am using this with several games, it would be more convenient to see a list of the games I have configured always visible.

Just to think about this and see if you think this might be a good idea and work well.

Thanks,

Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

If I am using this with several games, it would be more convenient to see a list of the games I have configured always visible.

Just to think about this and see if you think this might be a good idea and work well.

Thanks,

Snacko

Its not difficult to click on the existing drop-down menu ?

It's not the clicking.

It's the seeing all your games at once....

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

The new version already have a Modules (game configs) selector as List Box instead of combo box:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3340249&postcount=614

The Contexts list (related to selected Module) still in a combo box to preserve GUI space. But it can be in a second List Box...

If you have question about Module and Contexts and how that work (is intented to work), ask me, I currently suspended the development until I decide definitively the "how" this should work for users... You are users, you are the best to tell me what you want/need (if it is not too much magical).

NOTICE:

If people dare to, I can produce a pre-alpha build (without installer) to test in live... but currently, the version does not include features such as "presets", network, etc...

Edited by sedenion

I like this software just as it is ... it does the job efficiently, it's mature and bug-free .. why the need to replace it?

Cheers, and thank you again for making this available for free :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That is good. I was thinking if it was on the left side it could show almost the entire list of a users games. Like this mock up that I made from your picture. This is a list of all of the JSGME shortcuts that I have on my desktop. Your app makes them easier to manage in one app. So I thought being able to see them all at once would be nice.

6tWSKKW.jpg

Sedenion,

I haven't read all 64 pages to determine whether this has been asked, but there is one feature that JSGME performs that I would at least like you to add as an option. That is the ability to "stack mods" with dependencies.

For example, lets say I have a custom UH-1H theme by modder #1, but then I would like to add

song on top of that theme. Currently, OvGME warns you that files will be overwritten, but then shows both mods as installed with no indication as to which order they were installed (and consequently which song is active). The way JSGME does it is to recognize that the Fortunate Son mod was installed on top of the UH-1 theme, then require the Fortunate Son mod to be disabled before disabling the UH-1 theme.

Implementing mod dependencies like this would go a long way to creating a more stable and robust modding environment.

Best,

HF

• Like 1

That is good. I was thinking if it was on the left side it could show almost the entire list of a users games. Like this mock up that I made from your picture. This is a list of all of the JSGME shortcuts that I have on my desktop. Your app makes them easier to manage in one app. So I thought being able to see them all at once would be nice.

Wow, that's a lot of game indeed :D I never thought it can be used for so much games in the same time... (that's why the list box is so small). I keep your layout in mind, I will probably modify it like you suggest.

Sedenion,

I haven't read all 64 pages to determine whether this has been asked, but there is one feature that JSGME performs that I would at least like you to add as an option. That is the ability to "stack mods" with dependencies.

This is implemented, in both way, here is how that work currently:

1) Backup dependency tree

This dependency tree is created when mod is installed with backup data. If a mod overlap another one, the software create a dependency tree, to ensure overlapped mods will be restored in the right order to preserve the game genuine file integrity.

The software indicate you that a mod is currently in a "backup dependency" tree by showing a small orange icon aside the green "V" (you can see it in the screenshots in previous posts). but to know exactly what mod was installed first, you need to dig into the mod properties (this show you details and status about mod and backups).

The mechanism is automated and robust, so you can choose to be warned or not if any overlapping is occuring either at installation or during uninstall.

2) Installation dependency tree

This dependency tree is defined by the mod-maker in the package. This time, the software will warn you that one or several mod(s) will be installed first in order to install the choosen one (all is automated). This dependency tree act like any other package manager (like DEB or RPM packages under Linux).

Again, you can choose in options to be warned or not during installation. The software can act silently so you are not anoyed by warning messages.

Here is the options tab for package installation/uninstall warnings:

attachment.php?attachmentid=176407&stc=1&d=1516369443

Here is the "Package detail" Window (thumbnail is bugged, small issue)

attachment.php?attachmentid=176408&stc=1&d=1516370408

options1.jpg.ac4ceb0f241d3e67da13d21c47ae4fdd.jpg

packdata.jpg.aa8dd18434d48436715e594c85f0b420.jpg

Edited by sedenion

I just installed OVGME for the first time today to try it out.

I have modified files that reduce the sensitivity of certain buttons in F5-E. So, I put the whole folder with the mod files into a zip file with the correct paths etc.

I then imported it into OVGME and all was well. If I activate the mod, then the problem is that, in DCS, my button bindings to the modified buttons are lost. If I go into Adjust Controls, reset the button, then all is well and the mod works.

However, if I deactivate the mod in OVGME, run DCS, then the binding is lost again! Similarly, if I re-bind the button, then the mod is deactivated.

Clearly, I am doing something wrong. Can anyone help her?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have modified files that reduce the sensitivity of certain buttons in F5-E. So, I put the whole folder with the mod files into a zip file with the correct paths etc.

I then imported it into OVGME and all was well. If I activate the mod, then the problem is that, in DCS, my button bindings to the modified buttons are lost. If I go into Adjust Controls, reset the button, then all is well and the mod works.

However, if I deactivate the mod in OVGME, run DCS, then the binding is lost again! Similarly, if I re-bind the button, then the mod is deactivated.

Your problem is not directly related to OvGME but how your mod is done and how DCS save the button binding of a particular binding template... if you change the "template" (by adding new command for example), DCS could fail to match the previously saved binding, so, it create a new one, and so on when you disable it...

Thanks. I'm simply changing the 'value_pressed' entry from 1 to 0.1 in a couple of entries in the joystick.lua and default.lua files.

Is there a way of avoiding having to reset the bindings for these buttons each time on activate/deactivate?

(I realise it is not a OvGME issue as I tried with JJSGME and got the same result!)

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks. I'm simply changing the 'value_pressed' entry from 1 to 0.1 in a couple of entries in the joystick.lua and default.lua files.

Is there a way of avoiding having to reset the bindings for these buttons each time on activate/deactivate?

(I realise it is not a OvGME issue as I tried with JJSGME and got the same result!)

As far as I know, no. But you are not forced to re-setup your binding all the time: If you simply save the binding for the moded version, and touch nothing while the mod is desactivated, when you reactivate it, you will retrieve your saved binding.corresponding to the modified pattern.

I suppose you started DCS World while the mod was disabled. Don't do that!

The correct way for an update is:

1. DCS World is not running

2. Disable the mod

3. Do the update

4. Enable the mod

5. Start DCS World

You would get exactly the same problem if you started using a different stick.

To make sure you don't lose control bindings ever, it's recommend to save the profile (your control bindings) for your stick (or throttle) for the F-5E with a unique name that you remember. Then you can always restore those settings via "load profile".

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks for al, that guys. However, I’m still confused.

Before trying OvGME, I always kept a copy of my control files from Saved Games, so that I could always load the profiles back in if necessary. Having said that, unless I reinstalled Windows, I didn’t really have to do this.

What I don’t get is why the only binding that gets ‘lost’ are the few that are modified in the mod.

So, in the current example, I modified a button that I had bound to ‘radar antenna up/down’ to reduce the sensitivity by editing the 2 relevant lua files - the default.lua and the HOTAS Warthog one.

What happens is that if I activate or deactivate the mod in OVGME, the binding for that button gets lost. However, the ‘normal’ HOTAS input file in Saved Games folder remained unchanged. I thought that file was the only one that defines the button bindings.

• 3 weeks later...

Found the bug.

Hi. Finally I reproduced the issue just a few minutes ago.

So sorry in advance, it will be a long story. :)

LET'S SAY:

all DCS stuff are on "C:\ "

My mod pool is on "F:\[DCS World]\[MODS]"

and my main backup folder is on "F:\[DCS World]\[MODS]\[backup]"

icon2.gif A config named "DCS" is already created. A few mods have been installed. Everything was OK, and working well.

icon3.gif I want to create a new configuration in name "DCS2.5". I set destination and mods folders.

And I set backup folder as current existing [backup] folder, but OvGME won't warn me.

New config was successfully created.

Now, I just want to rename old "DCS" named config to "DCS1.5" when do that I get a warning: "The backup folder path '...etc...' is already used by the config 'DCS2.5'. Not a good idea...". Then I click NO.

Now, I create a new folder (let's say it's name is "[backup2.5]") and I want to edit the new congif (DCS2.5) and change its backup folder from "[backup]" to "[backup2.5]".

When I hit OK, I get a message: "Backup folder changed for "DCS2.5", all enabled mods will be disabled to empty old backup folder.". I hit OK again.

icon4.gif The problem is at that point, no any mod is disabled. All mods are still installed, besides all backup folders are empty.

If user have so many mods. Repairing DCS would be necessary. :)

Anyway. It's not big deal messing with mods, but if there's a mistake by me, please tell me my bad. If not, I hope I can tell your the problem.

Thanks so much.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Hi. Finally I reproduced the issue just a few minutes ago.

So sorry in advance, it will be a long story. :)

LET'S SAY:

all DCS stuff are on "C:\ "

My mod pool is on "F:\[DCS World]\[MODS]"

and my main backup folder is on "F:\[DCS World]\[MODS]\[backup]"

icon2.gif A config named "DCS" is already created. A few mods have been installed. Everything was OK, and working well.

icon3.gif I want to create a new configuration in name "DCS2.5". I set destination and mods folders.

And I set backup folder as current existing [backup] folder, but OvGME won't warn me.

New config was successfully created.

Now, I just want to rename old "DCS" named config to "DCS1.5" when do that I get a warning: "The backup folder path '...etc...' is already used by the config 'DCS2.5'. Not a good idea...". Then I click NO.

Now, I create a new folder (let's say it's name is "[backup2.5]") and I want to edit the new congif (DCS2.5) and change its backup folder from "[backup]" to "[backup2.5]".

When I hit OK, I get a message: "Backup folder changed for "DCS2.5", all enabled mods will be disabled to empty old backup folder.". I hit OK again.

icon4.gif The problem is at that point, no any mod is disabled. All mods are still installed, besides all backup folders are empty.

If user have so many mods. Repairing DCS would be necessary. :)

Anyway. It's not big deal messing with mods, but if there's a mistake by me, please tell me my bad. If not, I hope I can tell your the problem.

Thanks so much.

you did an acrobatic backup/config management.. OvGME should have warned you at first attempt (probably a mistake on my side), after that, i don't know exactly what happened, but it seem clear that something did'nt work correctly.

The problem is at that point, no any mod is disabled. All mods are still installed, besides all backup folders are empty.

As I understand it, you had some mods installed using the DCS config for DCS 1.5, and hence content from your DCS 1.5 in your backup folder.

Then you create a DCS 2.5 config pointing to your DCS 2.5, with the same backup folder (that already contains files from 1.5)?

Now you like to change the 2.5 backup folder, but without disabling mods for 1.5. Doing so, all the content from 1.5 is "restored" to 2.5, befor the new backup folder is assigned for the 2.5 config?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

you did an acrobatic backup/config management.. OvGME should have warned you at first attempt (probably a mistake on my side), after that, i don't know exactly what happened, but it seem clear that something did'nt work correctly.
Haha. Yes, I think it was a little aerobatic. Yes, I wasn't warned at the necessary point, maybe.

As I understand it, you had some mods installed using the DCS config for DCS 1.5, and hence content from your DCS 1.5 in your backup folder.

Then you create a DCS 2.5 config pointing to your DCS 2.5, with the same backup folder (that already contains files from 1.5)?...

That's true.

...Now you like to change the 2.5 backup folder, but without disabling mods for 1.5...
I didn't know I shouldn't use same backup folder for different contents. After I got that, it was too late to go back and disable 1.5's mods.

...Doing so, all the content from 1.5 is "restored" to 2.5, befor the new backup folder is assigned for the 2.5 config?
Interesting part is that nothing was "restored". Everything in backup folder was deleted.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

Interesting part is that nothing was "restored". Everything in backup folder was deleted.

So it wasn't moved to the 2.5 install first?

Due to the message from the app when you changed the backup folder I would have guessed it should.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

No. Nothing was moved either.