Korn's Huey Cockpit Build

Kornskydiver

Hey Gents, after a lot of thought..I finally got the nerve to start my own build thread. Seeing some of these amazing build threads can be quit intimidating to say the least...especially for someone who lacks computer or design skills when it comes to 3D renderings and building functional panels with DCS Bios. After months of searching online, I finally came across a Huey instrument panel and a relatively decent shape glareshield. As of now, my pit is built around the obutto revolution rig using the center mount to hold two 22" (16:20) monitors side by side with the bezels removed. Luckily for me, the dimensions were almost the same of the instrument panel. The panel and glareshield literally hang on top of the monitors making this rig very modular and can easily be removed or swapped out when flying different aircraft.

I am currently running Helios using the gauges from CPT Zeen's huey profile and so far its been working great! I installed LED Multicolor light strips under the glareshield that really makes the panel look great when all my lights are turned off. Night flights with the green LEDs are very immersive!

There is still a few more things do on the main instrument panel before I move onto the center console:

-Caution Lens'/Lights (RPM, Caution and Master)

-Push to test buttons for Fire and fuel (found these online at $12.95 a piece)

-Indicator Bezels (I will be purchasing these from Lynx once he begins producing them in the near future)

Hopefully this thread can inspire some more Heli cockpits as they are really hard to come by these days lol. I look forward to keeping you all posted on the progress!

IMG_9702.thumb.JPG.e4fa1d0c64e51f6de441b749db7b0dd2.JPG

IMG_9706.thumb.JPG.886b473da46b961f41575c65ea854d94.JPG

IMG_9710.thumb.JPG.72097c14245bdc3456426b1c4b9ede09.JPG

IMG_9712.thumb.JPG.4e8301d7f81b63de13440467bb544f72.JPG

IMG_9714.thumb.JPG.ad6bb952717f24f854b543d930e768a6.JPG

IMG_9716.thumb.JPG.a17dab99eb4ca3cb93b0e58c585738ca.JPG

IMG_9718.thumb.JPG.ecf196ae05a36a2b787b1f25d77364d0.JPG

IMG_9720.thumb.JPG.8986e7fe03300d6a78b4abc06c5a86ea.JPG

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks great welcome to the nut house of pit building your very luck there has been quite a bit of Huey control panels on eBay. You could end up with a complete cockpit for a very reasonable price with a bit of work. If you choose to go that route. What you have all ready accomplish looks like a lot of fun to fly as it is. Great job thansk for posting:thumbup:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Love your work Mr Korn ! Great Job, thx for showing.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Thanks for the kind words gents!

Looks great welcome to the nut house of pit building your very luck there has been quite a bit of Huey control panels on eBay. You could end up with a complete cockpit for a very reasonable price with a bit of work. If you choose to go that route. What you have all ready accomplish looks like a lot of fun to fly as it is. Great job thansk for posting:thumbup:

Thanks Deadman! I am pretty happy with where it's at right now and it is a blast to fly.... but for some reason I had just as much fun building the pit than i did flying it...lol. Seeing build threads like yours has inspired me and I'm sure others to build their own cockpits. It really is a fun hobby :) I even find enjoyment searching eBay for authentic parts....crazy right? Household 6 seems to think so...haha.

I know Lynx and a couple others plan to sell panels for the Huey so I'll probably be waiting for those to hit the market when it comes to building the center console and overhead console. In the meantime I have lots to learn from these forums and maybe one day I can ditch the monitors/Helios and interface real gauges :).

What I really would like to work on is building a fuselage or a type of enclosure for my pit. I've seen some awesome examples online and its already got my brain turning :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks fantastic! But, being a NJ Devils fan, it's hard to look at the wall....really hard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Great job, you people are nuts (in a good way) :D

Yes we are:thumbup: I hear it from my wife all the time lol

Looks fantastic! But, being a NJ Devils fan, it's hard to look at the wall....really hard.

Lol, totally understand brother. If it makes you feel any better I do have a Devils puck in my collection :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Today I went to Home Depot to try and find something I can use to make three bezels for the master caution, rpm and fire detector warning lights and this is what I came up with.......please don't laugh but I think it did the job quit nicely lol. Eventually I will get the real lights installed but I needed something to fill the void in my panel....it was my OCD kicking in lol

IMG_9738.thumb.JPG.661c67f563baa52ff247b6afc1f1475c.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking really good !! what kind of monitor/monitors did you use ?

They are two 22" V7 monitors at a 16:10 ratio. I use to run a triple monitor display and one for gauges but recently ditched them for a 50" 4K tv. I had to remove the bezels to make them fit and sit flush with the panel but they did the job quit nicely. I definitely lucked out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Small update today...I guess some progress is better than no progress :) I got the two push detector switches installed. I plan to make the fire detector switch functional once I can track down an actual light indicator. The fuel test switch on the other hand won't :(. Unfortunately, the monitors are directly behind it so I had to grind down the back of the switch and mount it on the panel....it's there purely for cosmetic purposes and to fill a ugly whole in the panel lol.

IMG_9794.thumb.JPG.2338af8aa8499c1845442be68cf815a2.JPG

IMG_9788.thumb.JPG.8bd59175bfac1ffc5c79f08d7a8d0f93.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great work man, I really love those master caution lights. Making them out of key tags is brilliant! How did you get it so the monitor could be right up against the panel, and have it so the switch could be in the panel? Did you cut the screen?

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great work man, I really love those master caution lights. Making them out of key tags is brilliant! How did you get it so the monitor could be right up against the panel, and have it so the switch could be in the panel? Did you cut the screen?

If you look closely at the top indicators next the fuel detector switch, you can see where the top of my monitors are mounted. So any switches or electronics mounted above the monitors can and will be made functional due to the empty space. Anything below unfortunately are purely for looks. So all those switches mounted below were grinded down flush and attached to the panel. That's just the sacrifice I had to make when using a real Huey panel with monitors for gauges.

Edited by Kornskydiver

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From what I can see, you have a few millimeters between the panel and the monitor; Not enough to accommodate the original button, but could you use the plunger to push a microswitch instead?

One of these things:

mkrudbIYUFEgdXF1oxXUzAw.jpg

It wouldn't feel as good as the real thing, obviously, but it'd be functional.

From what I can see, you have a few millimeters between the panel and the monitor; Not enough to accommodate the original button, but could you use the plunger to push a microswitch instead?

One of these things:

mkrudbIYUFEgdXF1oxXUzAw.jpg

It wouldn't feel as good as the real thing, obviously, but it'd be functional.

This might actually work! Thanks for the idea. I can probably use the push button bezel and place it over something like this with the low profile. My instrument panel is right up against the monitors so I might only have a couple mm's if that available. Another option I considered before I started my build was making a panel out of 1" mdf and mounting the actual panel ontop of it. It would have allowed me to make all the switches functional and be able to actually screw on the bezels. A couple reasons why I didn't go that route was because the gauges would have been pushed back killing the authentic look and also the additional weight it would have put on the Obutto's center mount.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kornskydiver,

If you're in Lacey, you must be assigned to Ft. Lewis? Maybe you can TDY down to Davis Monthan; head out to the boneyard and pick up a few parts! ;)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Kornskydiver,

If you're in Lacey, you must be assigned to Ft. Lewis? Maybe you can TDY down to Davis Monthan; head out to the boneyard and pick up a few parts! ;)

I know right! Lol. I was actually stationed down at fort huachuca, Arizona in 2012...it was only an hour south of Tucson. Back then I had a bell 206 pit so it never really crossed my mind to hit up the boneyards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]