Inbound Radio Call

MRaza

So let's say I wanna land at an airfield. It's a clear day so there's no need for TACAN or ILS. I call "Inbound" on the tower and he replies with something like this:

"Your callsign, the airport name, fly heading 256 for 12"

So basically he's giving you a vector to get lined up with the runway so you can land. So I turn to heading 256 and start flying in that direction. But how do I know when the 12 miles are up? In other words, how do I know when to turn in so that I'm facing the runway?

Would it be an indication on the HSI? Would the tower tell me when that 12 miles is up? Or would I have to look at the F12 Map to see if I'm lined up? Thanks:helpsmilie:

Wait, think I answered my own question. Someone tell me if I am right. When you select an Airfield from the CDU Divert page, the Airfield becomes your current steerpoint. And if it's your current steerpoint the top left corner of the HSI will show you the number of miles. Is this correct?

When you select an Airfield from the CDU Divert page, the Airfield becomes your current steerpoint.

YES

And if it's your current steerpoint the top left corner of the HSI will show you the number of miles.

YES

any other questions you need help with?

Not sure if this is the same that jackdaw is saying but, I drop a markpoint either with the UFC or

CDU, then switch the steerpoint selector on the CDU to mark, fly the heading ATC gave me and

the distance, then switch the steerpoint selector back to mission and come up on the runway

heading

That's how I do it too.

I also use the VAD-GND-404 doc to get the exact magnetic heading of each runway and visual cues for entering the CTR for the airfields. It really helps a lot.

• Like 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 2 weeks later...
Wait, think I answered my own question. Someone tell me if I am right. When you select an Airfield from the CDU Divert page, the Airfield becomes your current steerpoint. And if it's your current steerpoint the top left corner of the HSI will show you the number of miles. Is this correct?

Also if your current steer point is the airfield and you know what the runway is assigned you can fly the heading assigned until the bearing pointer is pointing at just shy of the inbound radial for runway then track it in to runway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer