I can see you, Admiral!

Cobra847

Outstanding Job Nicholas and the team!

Question, when I am using the Terrain Avoidance mode, do I have to look at the radar and read it? (kinda obvious), and fly manually without an autopilot? or in this mode an AP (or a kind of) will take control of the aircraft?

I mean, if I do need to read the radar, that's just a mode where it tells you, "hey, there is a mountain ahead..."

Sorry for being kinda dumbass, but I can't really understand the image.. what I am seeing exactly..

Edited by Vitormouraa

Question, when I am using the Terrain Avoidance mode, do I have to look at the radar and read it? (kinda obvious), and fly manually without an autopilot? or in this mode an AP (or a kind of) will take control of the aircraft?

I mean, if I do need to read the radar, that's just a mode where it tells you, "hey, there is a mountain ahead..."

Sorry for being kinda dumbass, but I can't really understand the image.. what I am seeing exactly..

If someone has more info i hope they correct me.

But i dont think where was any kind of automatic system.

The Terrain Avoidance for the Air-Ground Radar is primarily to give all weather capabilities.

Since while in good weather during daytime you can usually see any obstacle in time but in bad weather or during night time flying at the speeds and altitudes that were common for the Attack Viggen it would not always be able to see an obstacle in time

(as the pilot would have extremely little time to react).

But the terrain avoidance mode let you see whats ahead of you in even the worst visibility conditions thus making it possible to use it at low altitude and high speeds in any weather conditions "safely".

During Daytime Good weather flying it would most likely not be used as much since the pilot would be able to just look outside the cockpit but with low visibility conditions and with the pilot having to rely on the aircraft systems alone then the terrain avoidance radar would be very useful and very much needed if one intended to fly low.

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 1

Beautiful work - I'm really looking forward to playing with this system and aircraft.

A question (and in no way meant as criticism!): I every A/G radar I've used in my career, land was always bright (more reflectivity) while water was dark (less reflectivity - especially in calm conditions). Ships, structures, etc were brighter due to being more reflective that the ground/water around them. That was my experience in the mapping radar in everything from the T-29 (basically the B-36 bombing set - showing my age!) through various F-4s to F-16s and F-15Es; on both direct view scopes and digital displays (including SAR maps). So did the PS-37A intentionally invert that convention, with bright water and dark land/targets?

A war story about using a basic radar to dig out information from varying RCS: In the F-4Es APQ-120 (digital display of raw radar data), you could watch an F-5 orbit (at around 20-30 miles with a good radar) in search (no lockon to avoid triggering his RWR) and tell when he turned inbound by the size of the return - when it got real small he was committed on you!

You could also use the radar's sidelobe to see how far apart your leader/wingman was when line abreast (completely out of the radar search volume) - he would show up in the clutter and could be locked on to, range read out on a cockpit display. We used it to calibrate our eyes to maintain the desired 6 - 9k ft separation while in combat spread.

All that fun is gone from the newer magic radars. The APG-82 AESA radar in the F-15E is simply amazing; I can only guess what the F-22 and F-35 can see! All you have to do is turn it on (and not even that in the F-35, apparently); the radar does everything else - no more RSI (Radar Scope Interpretation) needed!

Cheers, and bravo on a magnificent model!

Kirk

If I'm not mistaken the radar scope shows an artificial horizon as well as 4 of those short vertical bars that might help flying "heads down".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very impressive!

It's clear that the Viggen was a very ambitious module and it's awesome to see it nearing release.

This kind of analog tech looks like a lot of fun and is the sort of thing that I want in DCSW.

Thank you for the steady flow of info and I'm excited to see more!

-Nick

A question (and in no way meant as criticism!): I every A/G radar I've used in my career, land was always bright (more reflectivity) while water was dark (less reflectivity - especially in calm conditions). Ships, structures, etc were brighter due to being more reflective that the ground/water around them. That was my experience in the mapping radar in everything from the T-29 (basically the B-36 bombing set - showing my age!) through various F-4s to F-16s and F-15Es; on both direct view scopes and digital displays (including SAR maps). So did the PS-37A intentionally invert that convention, with bright water and dark land/targets?

I don't know why exactly they chose to do it this way, but yes that's how it works. All other Swedish radar installations I know of including the ones on the Lansen and the Draken work in the expected fashion (bright echoes, dark background), so the AJ 37's display was deliberately inverted for some reason.

Edited by renhanxue

Beautiful work - I'm really looking forward to playing with this system and aircraft.

Just like Ren i dont know why it did it like this only that they did =P

Could it have to do with Mission Priorities?

as Anti-Ship work was more or less the most important task for the AJ 37

is there any advantage when it comes to searching for Ships or flying over Ocean to have

the water Lighter and the Land/Ships Darker could that make finding ships easier then the other way around?

(Or why did the US decide on Land = Light and Water = Dark for their Air-Ground Radars)

Here is an example of In cockpit footage of the radar in action if interested.

(It shows the Radar in action at 1:15,1:40 and 2:37)

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 1

Just like Ren i dont know why it did it like this only that they did =P

Could it have to do with Mission Priorities?

Here is an example of In cockpit footage of the radar in action if interested.

(It shows the Radar in action at 1:15,1:40 and 2:37)

Cool video... the music is perfect. ill buy the viggen... ahahah

Great video; working with that radar display at low alt in iffy wx would have been challenging!

As a SAAB car owner in a previous life, I can only guess that the radar was done that way just to be different!

Or perhaps the planning charts had dark colors for land and white for open water?

Kirk

At this point "they did it just to be weird" honestly sounds kinda like a plausible explanation. I have one alternate theory, though: on the Draken they had some issues with getting enough luminance out of the display when the cockpit was lit up by the sun, so there was a hood that shaded the radar screen. Maybe they figured that it'd be easier to get a bit more contrast out of it this way.

I really don't know, though. As far as I know nothing else works this way - only the AJ 37.

RCS is read and sorted by using the class of the vessel (e.g. Carrier, Frigate, etc.), not any sort of RCS value. While the yielded RCS value is thus generic for all vessels of the same class, the approximation is good enough for our purposes.

Understood, thanks! :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg