Grudge Match Viggen show

Goblin

The match was nice, and here is my critic from it (take it in a good way).

1) I was pleased to see that team Mig did have a good team strategy at start and managed to fly in loose formation and had semi-good tactics in flight, but often were just too much hassling around in small area. But clearly they at least sticking as group most of the time was key to their success, even when I expected to see more discussions over VoIP.

2) Team F- was unpleasant for me, as they couldn't stay together, it was like they didn't communicate or look efforts to cover the Viggens, leaving them vulnerable. Couple times they could withdraw a Mig attention to themselves but should have made better tactics.

3) Viggens, nice flying for attacks and cool group launches, only to be let down by the guidance algorithms that clearly was bug. Like suddenly a all missiles just pointed to same targets even when clearly the missile would have been blind to target, and clearly looks like the missile in launch went max two targets, meaning Viggens should have made multiple runs or launch at short delays between missiles.

Odd behavior was that Viggens didn't return over sea, instead flu back to coast where the action happens, only to cause points to team Mig.

4) Hosting.... It was a let down to me with the constant map moving and zooming, missing the tactical moments when engagements happened. And then jumping to missiles and aircrafts showed the DCS problem that camera can't be set by default to further than next to it, and then get a better controls to switch between aircrafts. But dcs wasn't designed for this kind thing so it is up to ED to improve observation features and capabilities. But next time I hope to see a smoother and more relaxed view changes.

As well would be nice if second and third commentator would be more in the voice as well so it would follow the hockey/boxing/other sport style where people can discuss more spontaneously.

It was over all solid 3/5 match, would be nice to hear the VoIP from both teams that what they were discussing. See more in future that participation would train or at least discuss about the tactics and strategies and avoid more solo flying.

It was just unpleasant to see someone flying alone to fight, flying straight without any tactical awareness by checking six and so on.

MIGs really showed how deadly R-60 are by being able to launch against enemy in high G turns and their situational awareness with work of flares was good.

And I think this match again showed how going vertical was again a one death resulting action unless you were already coming down at full speed and it was better to stay horizontal maneuvering like Viggens showed by avoiding few missiles without CM capabilities.

Without guidance bug, match would have gone differently.

And no one even noticing when individuals greatly sneaked on AWACS was troublesome for me... Like no one listened the communications?

I hope that for next matches AI AWACS are replaced by the human GCI who will guide fighters and keep teams strategies and tactics in working co editions.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

@Fri 13

No guidance bug, AFAIK that is how single mode works. They could have set up the missiles better though or spread out more before release.

Yesh, read the above one. Strange that after a first attack they didn't change it on ground, but if it is o it in mission editor... Bad luck and that is then the missing feature ;)

Would be nice to know is that programming per missile or per aircraft?

I just find it strange that you can't change that in flight depending the situation and tactic by fight leader....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yesh, read the above one. Strange that after a first attack they didn't change it on ground, but if it is o it in mission editor... Bad luck and that is then the missing feature ;)

Would be nice to know is that programming per missile or per aircraft?

I just find it strange that you can't change that in flight depending the situation and tactic by fight leader....

According to a reddit post by swither (one of the devs) they discovered a bug in the group mode on the morning of the battle, they managed to fix it but didn't want to use a build that had not been stress tested during the match. :-)

swither Leatherneck Simulations 6 points 2 days ago:

Yeah, rb05 was a bug :) also, we had to fire rb04 in single target mode since we noticed a bug in the group target mode yesterday morning, has since been fixed but we didn't dare to run a build that hadn't been stress tested! Game crashes would have been worse than overkilling some targets hehe :) but group target mode would probably have made a large difference!

Source:

Sweden is there, but it's not in coalition by default. So you have to create New mission and move Sweden to red or blue side.

When will Sweden be implemented as a selectable country in the ME?

The combo of USA and AJS37 doesn't feel right to me as a Swede ;)

I've been "beating around the bush" in this situation, by using the update coalition mod. It lets you change the coalitions without having to make a new damn mission!

The road landing at the end of the Grudge match inspired me to do some practice with another aircraft type (apologies as it's the M2000 - but I had a Swedish skin for it - if another devs aircraft isn't appropriate please remove @Mod).

The HUD really makes landing it on the road easy, and the drag chute is very effective.

Edited by Oesau

I thought moving the ships in the way they did was a bad idea. If they needed to move they shouldn't have moved them closer to the red base, they should have moved them farther out to sea instead. It gave the migs a definite advantage for defending the ships and rearming quickly (not that they did that, but they could have). It also made it much harder for the f5s to do any ship attacks as they were slower and now had to travel further. I think a restriction on the missile range (honor system) would have worked better. The migs were already attacking ships while blue force were still taking off!

Having said that- red played as a team and blue played as individuals (or pairs) so red deserved the win and would have won even with a more balanced mission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk