Introducing the VKB-Sim Gunfighter

rrohde

You may want to read the pages 48 & 49 of this thread. Some other guys seem to have similar problems. And maybe this helps: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&p=26101#p26101. I don't really know if it works, because I still use the Gunfighter with the KG12 grip. As soon as my second Warthog grip is delivered by Thrustmaster, I will give it a try.

Yeah, I took a read, followed the directions to a T, took apart the WH to make sure everything was still connected properly, and redid all the steps for installing the WH profile.

Seeing as not even the kg12 stick works, I am thinking this is some sort of software issue. Wish I knew how to install the default profile to give that a go again.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff in this thread, but scattered over so many posts! E.g., I had to open up 40 pages to find the one pic Rainer so kindly posted of the clutch adjustment screws. Will have to go through the same when it comes to WH adapter wiring etc. The guides on the VKB site are good, but lacking in images! A stick of this complexity/configurability really needs its own Wiki (or at least, dedicated page collecting all the various information, tips, etc. with supporting images)! Maybe when I go through this thread again, I will try and collect all the useful information and get that started somewhere.

This morning I installed the warthog adapter but the buttons are not working regardless of which stick I have installed unto the base. If I check the windows game controllers properties, the axis is active but 0 buttons work. I did try to install the warthog profile as per the instructions but no joy.

At the moment the only light I have illuminated on the blackbox is the blue sys light, everything else is turned off. At some point I did have the stick light flashing red though.

Post the issue in VKB forum > techinical support - continue by trial and error will end messing with the firmware.

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=25

Post the issue in VKB forum > techinical support - continue by trial and error will end messing with the firmware.

I already posted a response to someone that was having a similar problem as me but apparently my posts need to be approved by a moderator before they will show up. Quite frustrating.

I'm pretty sure the firmware is beyond messed up for me at this point.

So is there anything one needs to do with the Gunfighter, software wise, before using it or is it basically just plug it in - configure the controls in the flight sim and go?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Finally Its here!

Feels great :)

I was so use to it sticking, need to learn not to jolt it lol

1309147707_2017-05-1016_10_14.thumb.jpg.895a297808b837069f6324510fd609f3.jpg

1550435926_2017-05-1016_11_18.thumb.jpg.219f89492fe04780d9fc0acfe87cd1db.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7Ghz | 980ti | 32gb Ram | Windows 10 64 bit | 840 Pro SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB Gunfighter Pro | Slaw Device RX Viper | Acer Predator X34

Has the batch for VKB EU been shipped already ?

IIrc the european store wanted to start only selling them as soon as the first batch arrives right ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

So is there anything one needs to do with the Gunfighter, software wise, before using it or is it basically just plug it in - configure the controls in the flight sim and go?

Please calibrate it to allow the MaRS sensor to read the full range of motion! Correct calibration is important - in DCS it allowed me to get rid of my curves for all aircraft and helos (except the Gazelle).

Simple, too:

1) never calibrate using the windows device manager - if you did, reset it from the device manger again

2) from the VKBdevCfg software, click on the name of your device to make it active

3) from the panel, click "start calibr"

4) move your stick full forward, full aft, full left, full right

5) click "stop calibr"

6) done

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Everything looks to work, however??? buttons too on the WH grip.

Do the axes work? Go to the VKBdevCfg software, select your device, go to the test tab, select axes and move the stick around. Working axes? Yes/No?

Usually there are three reason for as to why your grip buttons don't work:

1) grip not seated correctly, and 3-pin connectors don't make contact

2) TMW grip profile not loaded (Gunfighter doesn't recognize the TMW PCB and its buttons unless you load the profile)

2) when putting the TMW grip back, you pinched or broke (one or more) TMW adapter wires

So, please load the profile first, and then (after testing axes), take the grip apart again and have a look.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Great stuff in this thread, but scattered over so many posts! E.g., I had to open up 40 pages to find the one pic Rainer so kindly posted of the clutch adjustment screws. Will have to go through the same when it comes to WH adapter wiring etc. The guides on the VKB site are good, but lacking in images! A stick of this complexity/configurability really needs its own Wiki (or at least, dedicated page collecting all the various information, tips, etc. with supporting images)! Maybe when I go through this thread again, I will try and collect all the useful information and get that started somewhere.

That's a good idea. I can help compile some info as well. Everything you would like to see in some sort of HowTo please send along via email to: northamerica@vkb-sim.pro :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Anyone having issues after installing the WH adapter?. The stick was working fine for my in the stock set up with both axis and buttons registering.

This morning I installed the warthog adapter but the buttons are not working regardless of which stick I have installed unto the base. If I check the windows game controllers properties, the axis is active but 0 buttons work. I did try to install the warthog profile as per the instructions but no joy.

At the moment the only light I have illuminated on the blackbox is the blue sys light, everything else is turned off. At some point I did have the stick light flashing red though.

It's either a) TMW profile not loaded via VKBdevCfg, or b)grip not seated correctly, or worst case c) broken TMW adapter wires inside the TMW grip.

Please test if the axes work - and don't use the Windows device manager. Use the VKB Joytester (download here: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/VKB_JoyTester.zip).

Let me know.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Yes, I received the same adapter and installed it the same way you did, no ground wire. No buttons will register or do anything unless you program them in the game as if you're creating a new profile, but none of the orginal/default keystrokes work at all.

Buttons will register as soon as you load the TWM profile into the Gunfighter via VKBdevCFg. Here's a link to the Profile:

http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Profiles/BlackBox/BB_GF-TM%281_85_2%290_79_99.zip

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Do the axes work? Go to the VKBdevCfg software, select your device, go to the test tab, select axes and move the stick around. Working axes? Yes/No?

Usually there are three reason for as to why your grip buttons don't work:

1) grip not seated correctly, and 3-pin connectors don't make contact

2) TMW grip profile not loaded (Gunfighter doesn't recognize the TMW PCB and its buttons unless you load the profile)

2) when putting the TMW grip back, you pinched or broke (one or more) TMW adapter wires

So, please load the profile first, and then (after testing axes), take the grip apart again and have a look.

Sorry I should have been more clear:

Everything works, all axis's/etc. I loaded up the WH profile according to the instructions and didn't get any errors or anything. I have the WH grip installed and all buttons are functional and mappable in DCS.

Just no green light!

edit: When I first plugged in the Blackbox usb to my computer, and during initial configuration, I had a blue and the green joystick light. It was only at some point after loading the WH profile, and calibration, that the green disappeared.

Edited by PabstBleuRibbon

I can't even get the WH grip to be recognized by VKBdevCFG. I get a blinking red light, and the program says "Device cannot be opened." I was meticulous with the installation, and just checked - no pinched wires. I have to say I think it's the board...

It's either a) TMW profile not loaded via VKBdevCfg, or b)grip not seated correctly, or worst case c) broken TMW adapter wires inside the TMW grip.

Please test if the axes work - and don't use the Windows device manager. Use the VKB Joytester (download here: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/VKB_JoyTester.zip).

Let me know.

Thanks for the response.

Axes work, no problem and this is confirmed using the VKBdevCfg.

A) Here is what happens when I attempt to load the TMW profile via VKBdevCfg:

load VKBdevCFG v0_79_9_9, click on blackbox GF, click load, select the profile. The device resets. When I hit "set" it just says "no new data" and nothing new happens. Same results over and over.

B) The grip seems to be seated correctly, I can't seem how I could possibly screw that up, although I just noticed that one of the pins on the top portion of the extension does not spring up. Either way, I get the same result without using the extension and also with the kg12 grip.

C) I checked and double checked that everything was seated correctly within the WH stick and that all wires were undamaged.

edit: as far as lights on the blackbox are concerned, all I have is a solid blue system light. Just like Pabst, I had a green before messing with any profiles. As soon as I tried loading the profile, I began having these issues. And to be clear, my axes work, but no buttons register.

Edited by FalcoNg

I can't even get the WH grip to be recognized by VKBdevCFG. I get a blinking red light, and the program says "Device cannot be opened." I was meticulous with the installation, and just checked - no pinched wires. I have to say I think it's the board...

Let's have the VKB engineers help you troubleshoot. Please start a thread here:

All Gunfighters have been tested before they were shipped, so this should be something they could help you with over there. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

DHL didn't even attempt re-delivery today. Scheduled for tomorrow :rolleyes:

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Please calibrate it to allow the MaRS sensor to read the full range of motion! Correct calibration is important - in DCS it allowed me to get rid of my curves for all aircraft and helos (except the Gazelle).

Simple, too:

1) never calibrate using the windows device manager - if you did, reset it from the device manger again

2) from the VKBdevCfg software, click on the name of your device to make it active

3) from the panel, click "start calibr"

4) move your stick full forward, full aft, full left, full right

5) click "stop calibr"

6) done

Ok will give that a go, thanks for the info.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That's a good idea. I can help compile some info as well. Everything you would like to see in some sort of HowTo please send along via email to: northamerica@vkb-sim.pro :thumbup:

Will do, Rainer!

I think that the first thing to gather would be things required to get folks in the cockpit from "out-of-the-box":

- some images/additional details of the setup/assembly to accompany the official guides: e.g., the mechanism to lock the grip and the stick to the base (this may seem straightforward to many folks, but the fact that there were questions on this thread would seem that images can help); the dry clutch loosening required; the loosening of the screws holding down the dust boot to avoid friction with the dry clutch, etc.

- the all-important calibration using VKB software and not Windows

Then customization:

- setting the grip angle

- adjusting tension using springs, cams, and the dry clutch

- recalibration required after any of this?

Then a whole section to Warthog grip usage

- again images and instructions to supplement official guide, especially as it seems the wiring configuration is different (no grounding wire, different colored wires)

- note on required steps using software to get working

- note on mapping (including how default A-10C mapping gets lost and must be redone)

- troubleshooting/issues

Many of these are common sense to many folks, and others are just community wisdom picked up over a lot of forum participation ... but useful to have it collected in one place for new people still!

One thing I have noticed about my new Gunfighter from just sitting it on my desk and moving the stick around:

On the X-Axis, the stick does not return to center upon letting it go - even when letting it go when it is at the extreme of the X-axis travel. It never makes it all the way back to center, the less travel the less it tries to go back to center, but it is a few degrees off center in any event unless I physically move it by hand to center. Not so much on the Y-axis, it is most prevalent on the X-axis.

Is this normal? Perhaps does not really matter as I am sure I will be moving it to center whilst flying anyway... just an observation on my part, just was a little surprised at it not returning to dead center.

I did initially loosen the two screws mentioned for the dust cover by two turns, that was recommended in the email blast we got.

Don B