Will the viggen be coming to 1.5.5?

Emperor Reaper

There are also people who are not comfortable using beta, and have no disk space or desire to have both versions.

Don't need both versions though. You can convert stable version to open beta simply by downloading the patch. And you can switch open beta to stable simple by downloading the stable patch. I would guess next week 1.5.6 will go to stable and people will have to download the patch then anyway, may was well do it now.

That post by Rlaxoxo shows how to do it, very easy.
Edited by Bullitthead

Don't need both versions though. You can convert stable version to open beta simply by downloading the patch. And you can switch open beta to stable simple by downloading the stable patch. I would guess next week 1.5.6 will go to stable and people will have to download the patch then anyway, may was well do it now.

That post by Rlaxoxo shows how to do it, very easy.

Because not everyone wants to run beta no matter how easy it is to do so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fully agree with above :thumbup:

Obviously apart of dreaded "beta" label (oh no, that's an experimental software with a high risk of blowing up the PC doh.gif) , the only difference between "beta" and "stable" (perfect version with 0 bugs 100% guaranteed :megalol:) instance is that "beta" gets both updates - early access + those confirmed by 1-2 weeks of community testing. In other words, it’s the same but just with a possibility to accept an early access updates. If you don't want it, just ignore the early access update and it'll be exactly the same as the main branch. There is just literally ZERO reasons to run the "stable" branch in DCS. Run beta and decide if you want to accept the early update or wait for a stable one (which also are not mandatory to accept).

Personally, what I find most puzzling is that even putting asside that 1.5 versions are close to each other if sometimes not even the same is that 1.5 "beta" is such a big issue while at the same time majority of the modules are an early access, beta or even alpha (see Nevada).

DCS is a constantly evolving environment, not an AAA title released with a major version every 1-2 years and doors closed for the development time in between.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

+1

I didn't use beta before 1.5, but as soon as 1.5 came I installed the beta, which became the version in which I fly the most. I still have the stable version, but I haven't update it for months, it doesn't even have all my modules installed. Basicaly it's just sitting there, wasting SSD space. :D

So, a little bit offtopic but do people really fly the OP branch more than they do the release version?

After a long hiatus, Im mainly interested in the multiplayer. Also I didn't want to have three branches with all the modules on one SSD all currently in some sort of flux.

I can wait for the Viggen to come to the release branch, but would really like to know whether there are more people (and servers) flying and hosting on open beta as opposed to the release branch?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

most servers have a policy of only running the stablebranch version, and not all of them made an exception for 1.5.6

Well that explains a lot. I just don't understand why someone wouldn't want to run 1.5.6 instead and get early access to all updates.

As far as stability goes I've never had a problem with the open beta, atleast no more so than I did with the stablebranch version.

So, a little bit offtopic but do people really fly the OP branch more than they do the release version?

After a long hiatus, Im mainly interested in the multiplayer. Also I didn't want to have three branches with all the modules on one SSD all currently in some sort of flux.

I can wait for the Viggen to come to the release branch, but would really like to know whether there are more people (and servers) flying and hosting on open beta as opposed to the release branch?

Highly unlikely.

I'd like to say "no" but of course the same crowd that have hijacked this and made it yet another "people are so stupid for not running beta" would be coming out with their usual narrow minded diatribe.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Obviously apart of dreaded "beta" label (oh no, that's an experimental software with a high risk of blowing up the PC doh.gif) , the only difference between "beta" and "stable" (perfect version with 0 bugs 100% guaranteed :megalol:) instance is that "beta" gets both updates - early access + those confirmed by 1-2 weeks of community testing. In other words, it’s the same but just with a possibility to accept an early access updates. If you don't want it, just ignore the early access update and it'll be exactly the same as the main branch. There is just literally ZERO reasons to run the "stable" branch in DCS. Run beta and decide if you want to accept the early update or wait for a stable one (which also are not mandatory to accept).

Personally, what I find most puzzling is that even putting asside that 1.5 versions are close to each other if sometimes not even the same is that 1.5 "beta" is such a big issue while at the same time majority of the modules are an early access, beta or even alpha (see Nevada).

DCS is a constantly evolving environment, not an AAA title released with a major version every 1-2 years and doors closed for the development time in between.

Well, I have Nevada, dont play it because it's not STABLE, I used too buy early acces plane modules, not anymore, because they are not STABLE, also tried the beta brances of 1.5.x and dont run them anymore, guess why? Well they are not stable and I like to fly without annoying bugs as far as possible, hence I always run STABLE branch(fewer bugs and more? you guessed it STABLE)....

If the majorety of the multiplayer servers start running beta brances, then im out.....

Specs:

Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz, Nvidia GTX980 4GB, 8gb RAM

Well can't talk for others, only for myself and my Sqn mates, but NONE of us have had the release version installed for years.

Only ever use the open Beta or Alpha version depending on where we fly. Personally I find the Beta version as stable as the release version just with the added bonus of getting the modules earlier.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: