Campaign feedback thread

REDEYE_CVW-66

First of all let me start by saying thanks for a campaign that from the get go seems to be bristeling with detail, dedication to quality. Briefings, presentation, documetation etc seems top notch. The voice acting sounds authentic and believable.

I can't wait to get to know test it out properly.

I'll give a more detailed review in due time, but I'm just gonna comment a couple of things:

Skins: Despite that skins have been made for the campaign, these skins have flaws (as seen in the screen below). Fortunately, user made skins have been made that can remedy this.

Also- these skins are not used (at least not in the first mission)

VLNjARq.jpg

Example of user made skin by Reflected:

JpfY1hx.jpg

However, I am puzzled over the fact that that the standard "Muscat" skin is in full use for all aricraft (at least in mission one). Having a skin that refers to a single plane is not the best to use as the default one. This should be looked into.

This nose art for every plane:

Kuc5Iad.jpg

I also experienced a quite severe performance drop, despite a very sparsely populated airfield and beachead- though this was to be expected and I will try to tune it out.

The lack of bombs for the Spitfire for a close support campaign seems strange, but then again, Bunyap knows his stuff.

Don't get my wrong: I am super excited for what seems like a great product, just some nitpicking for the greater benefit:)

Now off to strafe some coloums!:pilotfly:

Ya I took a huge performance hit. It seems really cool but so much stuttering and freezing makes it hard to play. Are there any fixes for this?

Yep, I posted the same thing in another thread which has moved.

Stuttering and freezing make this difficult to use at the moment. Normally, Normandy is pretty good for me with 30-45fps, but this campaign is more like 15-30 with stuttering and freezing.

Is worst right at start with trying to get to cockpit after pressing ‘fly’.

Better in the air, but not a good experience compared to the normal Normandy experience.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

AMD FX8350 black edition, gtx 1080 SSD's and 16 gb of ram,

FPS was around 15-20 with settings at everything high and everything low with visible range at medium, I saw no difference in the stuttering and fps with settings changes, turning on or off deferred shading didn't make a difference either...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

Guys,

I already flew the first mission! VEry nice!

Be careful with fuel management and the nasty flaky at the briefed points!

I had no performance hit issue, but my rig is quite hot, I'd say! :)

Lovely campaign!

• ED Team

The lack of bombs for the Spitfire for a close support campaign seems strange, but then again, Bunyap knows his stuff.

Bombs and drop tanks are not available yet. When they become available you should be able to use them as needed, with the appropriate impact on performance and handling.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
Ya I took a huge performance hit. It seems really cool but so much stuttering and freezing makes it hard to play. Are there any fixes for this?

Make sure you use Flat shadows in both shadow drop downs, its a huge boost if you are having issues...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Has anyone managed to destroy the North target in the second mission? Myself and at least three other Spitfires (wingmen) emptied our 20mm into the four tanks there, scoring multiple hits, and not a single one of them were destroyed. It seems difficult to destroy those targets without any type of ordnance like bombs or rockets.

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

yes ... but for the trucks ( the target ;) ) 20mm is OK

seems that all the tanks will be intact after the campaign

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

Yep, I posted the same thing in another thread which has moved.

Stuttering and freezing make this difficult to use at the moment. Normally, Normandy is pretty good for me with 30-45fps, but this campaign is more like 15-30 with stuttering and freezing.

Is worst right at start with trying to get to cockpit after pressing ‘fly’.

Better in the air, but not a good experience compared to the normal Normandy experience.

Hmmm... looks like I was a bit premature. Playing around today, everything seemd to be OK. I think I must have had 2 or 3 simultaneous NAS backups going on when I tried the campaign at first.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hmmm... looks like I was a bit premature. Playing around today, everything seemd to be OK. I think I must have had 2 or 3 simultaneous NAS backups going on when I tried the campaign at first.

Looks like I was a bit premature to say I was a bit premature!

I’m afraid that more often than not I am getting freeze ups which is making this campaign almost unusable for me. Often it means I crash when trying to take off! I start my take off, everything freezes for up to 10 seconds and when it unfreezes, I’m in the grass and on fire! Not always, but often this happens.

As someone else reported in another thread, I also am experiencing engine sounds and gun/cannon sounds cutting out when there is a lot going on.

I think we’re a way off this being suitable for release.

So far this looks great, played around in the first mission for a bit and the only issue so far is that I'm still hearing the same old pilot/wingman/tower voices for my flight that have been around for ages.

I can hear the new dialog for the additional flights and their controller on comms A (which sound great!), so I'm wondering if there's an issue, or has there not been new dialog recorded for the pilots of your flight?

@jspec3, the "default" wingman commands have been around since forever, and is in the base game. Special radio messages that are for the campaign comes in addition to these, they don't replace them. There is supposed to be new radio comms/effects/voices for WW2 era aircraft, but its WIP and noone knows when it will arrive.

On flak:

I saw some black (not grey) puffs coming up while flying a mission- are these medium caliber AAA, or is it in fact a placeholder effect for the 88's?

I fly the campaign with worse specs than you. Drop shadows to flat for both, and set visibility to medium. The first mission seemed to be the worst, the others are better. The frames are not great, but playable. 20-40 with occasional stutters. (gfx 970, 16GB ram, i5 3.5, SSD)

• Like 1

I fly the campaign with worse specs than you. Drop shadows to flat for both, and set visibility to medium. The first mission seemed to be the worst, the others are better. The frames are not great, but playable. 20-40 with occasional stutters. (gfx 970, 16GB ram, i5 3.5, SSD)

Hi and thanks for the pointers. I already have the shadows to flat and lowered everything to very low. Still, the frame rates are so poor that I can't even take off nicely. It's kinda strange, because I can run 6 vs 6 dogfights with almost everything maxed out at 70 fps. I think is the high amount of units playing tricks to my computer ...

Cheers,

Hi and thanks for the pointers. I already have the shadows to flat and lowered everything to very low. Still, the frame rates are so poor that I can't even take off nicely. It's kinda strange, because I can run 6 vs 6 dogfights with almost everything maxed out at 70 fps. I think is the high amount of units playing tricks to my computer ...

Cheers,

Agreed, see my post #14.

I'm going to post on the Bugs sub forum here or contact ED support directly. There is clearly a major issue for some people using this campaign. I have not had this problem in any other DCS scenario before. Almost impossible for me to take off sometimes because of freezing!

Hi zionid,

I took the visuals all the way down to the 1980s and still the hiccups are still there. I don't think is the rendering, I believe is that my older generation i7 and RAM are not coping with the amount of units in the scenarios.

Agreed, see my post #14.

I'm going to post on the Bugs sub forum here or contact ED support directly. There is clearly a major issue for some people using this campaign. I have not had this problem in any other DCS scenario before. Almost impossible for me to take off sometimes because of freezing!

What kills my virtual pilot is that I get 50 fps plus minus change, steady for five seconds, and then it drops to 15 or so for half a second. Can't coordinate my rudder kicks with that micro interruption.

With just stubborn persistence, I flew the first and second missions. The frame rates increased a bit. But I also tried to optimize my in-game settings taking hints from here and there. So it is hard to figure out now if I got into the sweet spot for visuals or the campaign later missions are less demanding as one gentleman said in this thread. I will post my settings later today.

Cheers,

For me, it's not a rendering issue either. I get 50-80fps in flight, but in this campaign, I get stuttering and freezing up so that it's almost unplayable.

I have reduced the resolution, and turned down all settings to low, and it makes no difference. Still the same.

I have a Skylake i7 6700 4GHz with 32Gb of DDR3 RAM, and don't have this situation anywhere else in DCS or any other software.

I just gave the first mission a try, flying in VR with Oculus Rift.

This will have to be a no go for me at this time, my framerates were terrible , like in the teens taking off and shortly after flying low. Stutter of course was really bad due to this in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looks like this purchase was a waste of money for me. My system isn't up to running the Epsom campaign (although I have only tried mission 1 - but if I can't play that then there seems to be no point continuing).

I have had no problems running the A10c Enemy Within or the Su25T Georgian Oil War campaigns (but then again, they are on the Caucus maps).

My rig & set-up:

JfT50eL.png

SIBeW3m.png

fua3JbE.png

Edited by Cellvictor
images not shown