VKB or Virpil

... VirPil has a good grip out, but their base is not out yet (at least I did not get my shipping notice).

The VIRPIL base is definitely out. I've been using mine for about 10 days. And it works both with their native grip and the WH grip, and the swapping is a matter of seconds.

I don't need pedals from either; I have the MFG ones and it would be a waste of effort for both VPC and VKB to try and beat those.

Throttle? Yes it might be worthwhile to compete for a market position there. My TM WH throttle brick is still ok, but it won't last forever. And there is room for improvement!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I don't need pedals from either; I have the MFG ones and it would be a waste of effort for both VPC and VKB to try and beat those.

VKB was already in the sim pedals market before MFG appeared. And let me tell you, there are much better pedals out there than MFG. So it won't be a "waste of effort". MFGs are nice, but that's about it. Pedals like Slaw Device are works of art.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

VKB was already in the sim pedals market before MFG appeared. And let me tell you, there are much better pedals out there than MFG. So it won't be a "waste of effort". MFGs are nice, but that's about it. Pedals like Slaw Device are works of art.

If you say that they were already in the pedals market before MFG appeared, I take your word for it. So what?

I don't need art under my feet but good-quality, precise pedals. And that's what I got from MFG.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...
The MCG Pro also has more buttons than the Virpil.

Are you sure ?!

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

If you say that they were already in the pedals market before MFG appeared, I take your word for it. So what?

I don't need art under my feet but good-quality, precise pedals. And that's what I got from MFG.

Don't knock art. :) Slaw's pedals are made artfully, but are hands-down the sturdiest and most over-engineered pedals you can buy. (And the heaviest.) They are unbelievably precise and reliable. You can flex the material used to make Crosswinds, but you can't get a micrometer of wiggle out of Slaw's pedals. They are seriously aircraft-grade stuff. Don't get me wrong, Crosswinds are enthusiast pedals, but they're built with cost in mind. Slaw's pedals are built with absolute perfection in mind. Can't say enough about the guy or his work.

Don't knock art. :) Slaw's pedals are made artfully, but are hands-down the sturdiest and most over-engineered pedals you can buy. (And the heaviest.) They are unbelievably precise and reliable. You can flex the material used to make Crosswinds, but you can't get a micrometer of wiggle out of Slaw's pedals. They are seriously aircraft-grade stuff. Don't get me wrong, Crosswinds are enthusiast pedals, but they're built with cost in mind. Slaw's pedals are built with absolute perfection in mind. Can't say enough about the guy or his work.

Thoughts on Baur and his work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Not knocking anybody nor anything! Just keeping my feet on the ground.

LeCuvier

+1 to this.

I just this week had my first flight in a real aircraft, a Cessna 172.

And, coming home, I found that my Slaw pedals felt very similar to their real-life counterpart. :)

I have no personal experience with the MFG Crosswinds, but I can vouch for the quality of the Slaw pedals.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Did anyone here switch from TM WH stick, to VKB MCG / MongoosT 50?

I purchased ( second hand) the TM WH joystick, it seems to be okay, so far, but I'd like to know how are MCG / T 50 ( precision, weight) compared to TM WH joystick

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I purchased ( second hand) the TM WH joystick, it seems to be okay, so far, but I'd like to know how are MCG / T 50 ( precision, weight) compared to TM WH joystick

Thank you

I recently switched from a TM Warthog with 7.5cm extension to the Virpil T-50 Stick/base, deskmount, and extension kit.

My particular Warthog was good, but the Virpil gimbal system is far better. You can really feel the two axis independent of each other with their gimbal system, and with the extensions it really helps in precision as well. Now I botched my gimbal trying to get a cam out, got too heavy handed, and have a new T-50 base on the way to me which hopefully will be here soon. I am flying with the Warthog again in the meantime and really missing flying with the T-50.

I also have a new VKB Gunfighter Pro just waiting on their new MCG grip to become available before hooking it up and having a go with it. The stock Gunfighter grip just does not have enough buttons for me. I have a feeling though both the Virpil and VKB offerings are going to be very similar in quality and feel.

As far as weight, the Warthog is definitely heavier, however the Virpil T-50 is not designed for a desktop use, but rather center mounted to the desk ( stick is longer). The VKB is lighter than Warthog also but they also offer a desktop version as well. Their stick is shorter, so the desktop version just has a base plate for sitting on the desk.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Which base is compatible with the MCG, actually?

I will keep testing the TM WT stick, but I'm pretty sure I'll go sooner or later for either VGB MCG or Virpil

I switched from X55 and X56 Saitek, man, such a difference

Edited by Lenux

What about the weight and hight between the two ( grip only)?

• 4 months later...
I recently switched from a TM Warthog with 7.5cm extension to the Virpil T-50 Stick/base, deskmount, and extension kit.

My particular Warthog was good, but the Virpil gimbal system is far better. You can really feel the two axis independent of each other with their gimbal system, and with the extensions it really helps in precision as well. Now I botched my gimbal trying to get a cam out, got too heavy handed, and have a new T-50 base on the way to me which hopefully will be here soon. I am flying with the Warthog again in the meantime and really missing flying with the T-50.

How did you break the cam? Looking at the internals of the base it looked like it was mostly, if not entirely, metal construction.

The Warthog seemed like a great buy, but I had no idea how weak the internals were. I wasn't abusive to my Warthog, but after 3 years of regular use, mounting and unmounting, the plastic gimbal finally snapped. I've been looking at VKB and Virpil for a possible replacement to the fragile TM Warthog base. I may get an extra grip as a backup, but I really enjoy feel of the warthog.

I'm not sure about VKB since it looks like there are a few internal plastic parts. Also the warthog adapter looks to be all plastic, which... don't get me wrong, I don't think everything has to be made of metal, but considering the history of my warthog, I'm primarily concerned with durability.

Virpil seems to look all metal, but if you're breaking it by simply replacing the cams? That seems oddly fragile, unless you were banging at it with a hammer?

Either way I couldn't really afford to replace a Virpil or VKB system if they break down in a year or two. :(

I was hoping VKB or Virpil would have a base that was redundantly reliable and durable. Something that could last a nuclear war! My most reliable stick thus far has been the CH Fighterstick, which has been kicked, tripped over, dropped, and remained solid through all sorts of abuse. I could chuck it down the stairs every morning and still plug it in to have it work flawlessly (Not that I ever plan to do that). The aspects I don't really like are somewhat trivial. I don't like the mechanical deadzone, and it's not quite the right design to mount between your legs (giggity) like I've grown used to with the TM Warthog. The plastic stick and buttons aren't as satisfying as a the TM warthog, but damn, I'd have to be creative to break my CH stick.

So, in the long term, how durable would you consider VKB and Virpil's construction to be?

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

How did you break the cam?

Electric power drill in unskilled hands do "marvels". :D

BTW - Even with these "Next Gen" gimbals with parts made in metal (allow, steel..) people being people find a way to broken something, specially in their "Quest for the Feel Simulator". :D

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2753

Edited by Sokol1_br

Electric power drill in unskilled hands do "marvels". :D

BTW - Even with these "Next Gen" gimbals with parts made in metal (allow, steel..) people being people find a way to broken something, specially in their "Quest for the Feel Simulator". :D

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2753

People being people should not have to resort to drastic measures to try and fix something they just got new that was broken either.

:mad:

Btw I was not the last to have to attempt this either.

Me being me and all.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

How did you break the cam? Looking at the internals of the base it looked like it was mostly, if not entirely, metal construction.

My original stick/gimbal was great, very smooth and precise.

The problem came, from my wishing to replace the cams with the soft center ones along with the softer springs. Something these sticks were designed for. And marketed as a feature.

The cam screw got stripped, dang thing was locked in there tighter than a drum. I had one cam replaced with the soft center, and really wanted to get this one replaced. So I resorted to attempting to drill into the cam screw a little, in hopes to be able to reverse the drill and just unscrew it. Did not work, screw broke and additional imbedded into the bracket behind the cam ruining the gimbal.

The cams have certainly been somewhat of an issue - people being people and all...

I have since got another one, with the soft center cams and soft springs already installed, and am quite happy with it. Have many, many hours on it now. The cams are a little rough, I have replacements, but am not going to attempt that. I do not notice the roughness at all whilst flying.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Thank you

I got my Mongoos T-50 in August, and the TM WH base has gone into retirement.

I fly WW II aircraft with the all-native T-50 stick; but for modern aircraft (especially the A-10C) I find that the combination of T-50 base and TM WH grip is just optimal. And swapping the sticks either way is quick and easy. No adapter required at all. If I had to make mx buying decision again, I would just order the T-50 base. The TM WH grip feels just fine with the T-50 base. And I'm even tempted to use that combination for all aircraft, even WW II.

I also own a VKB Gladiator Pro Ml I but that stick sits on the shelf all the time and gets bored to death.

LeCuvier

As neither are very good at delivering - in Europe at least, then the question is really a little academic don't you think?

You can decide which you'd prefer, but unless you can actually order it and take delivery, what is the point?

Yeah I have a brand new Gunfighter Pro Mk1 still sitting here new in the box. Ordered it in March of 2017.

Still waiting to get a MCG Pro grip for it. I have no need for it without the grip.

Last I heard was Feb 25th for availability, will see...

Don B

As neither are very good at delivering - in Europe at least, then the question is really a little academic don't you think?

You can decide which you'd prefer, but unless you can actually order it and take delivery, what is the point?

^^This!!!!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: