Can't open sound files in ME

Reflected

Not seeing this issue, works for me in 2.5

after the upgrade to 2.5 did you remove your options.lua file and launch the sim and setup your options again, thats the only thing I can think of at the moment

Cheers Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

• 11 months later...

Yeah, not working for me either Reflected. I even reinstalled EVERYTHING - no luck. ChuckIV

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill

SYSTEM:

Processor - Intel® Core i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3600MHz water-cooled

Installed memory (RAM) - 32.0 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Windows 10 & DCS on SSD

Video Card - water-cooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Internet: Cable 200Mbps 12Mbps

Not working for me either.

I started a completely new mission and tried it again and the first time I clicked on it I would get the browse feature to select a sound file but it doesn't appear to save once I'm done selecting it and saving. And if I subsequently go back and try again and click it again to set it up I get no response from those buttons from then on. A restart of DCS, and even the entire pc does not help. For other missions where I already have had sound files in it loaded previously the sound button does not work at all right from the get go. Have tried a DCS Repair to no effect.

• Like 1

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

What typ of file are your sounds ?

Mine are all WAV and it works. As far as I know not every file typ is supported,

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

What typ of file are your sounds ?

Mine are all WAV and it works. As far as I know not every file typ is supported,

Moot point. When you click the open button it does absolutely nothing. No browse screen to even select a file.

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

• 4 months later...

Unable to ADD Sound files in ME

5/27/2019

Yes this has been a deal breaker for me! I feel the need for....sound files in order to create missions!!!:smilewink:

This has been a issue for some time now. I haven't been able to ADD sound files after clicking on the "OPEN" button. There is just no reaction. The Mission editor will not look for a file! it just does nouthing!! Bummer!

One time I completely deleted the mission editor then did the DCS repair! This worked and I was able to add sounds with triggers. HOWEVER; again I lost the ability to add sounds to a mission, even after removing the mission editor , then the DCS repair! Still not able to "OPEN" sound files within the editor:mad:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I never really did solve the problem, just haven't used the beacon function with CTLD since....

Not that this is what's going on here, but have a look at your log files and see if it's a similar error.

OK, here is something I found.... The problem started after I tried to load CTLD and add a the beaconsilent.ogg and beacon.ogg sounds to the mission. After I did that, the add sound thing didn't work.

Log files showed this:

2018-07-21 21:01:45.910 ERROR SOUND: sf_open_virtual(C:\Users\C\Saved Games\DCS\Missions\Iran\beaconsilent.ogg) failed: File contains data in an unknown format.

2018-07-21 21:01:45.910 ALERT LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/SoundPlayer.lua"]:73: attempt to index field 'soundInfo' (a nil value)

GUI debug.traceback: stack traceback:

[C]: ?

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/SoundPlayer.lua"]:73: in function 'setPathSound'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/FileDialog.lua"]:673: in function 'updateSoundPlayer'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/FileDialog.lua"]:390: in function 'onSelectFile_'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/FileDialog.lua"]:597: in function 'setInitPath_'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/FileDialog.lua"]:701: in function <[string "./MissionEditor/modules/FileDialog.lua"]:685>

(tail call): ?

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_predicates.lua"]:2345: in function <[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_predicates.lua"]:2341>

(tail call): ?

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_predicates.lua"]:1819: in function 'onChange'

[string "./dxgui/bind/Button.lua"]:22: in function 'callback'

[string "./dxgui/bind/Widget.lua"]:330: in function <[string "./dxgui/bind/Widget.lua"]:325>

So, I deleted the references to loading the beacon sounds from the mission, then erased them from the location they were in.

Now the add sound works.

Tried to load them again > same issue. Deleted them, now it works.

Tried making my own sounds called beacon.ogg and beaconsilent.ogg and load them > same problem.

Not sure what's going on, but my DCS doesn't seem to like those file names.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3573736&postcount=5

Edited by Sedlo

• 1 year later...

August 2020 and I also can't "OPEN" anything. Pressing open should bring up the file explorer withing DCS but it does not.

The extension of the file or where it's located has nothing to do with it. The file explorer should at least pop up.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Post your DCS.log when it happens. Chances are it doesn't like a file in the folder that you last opened for sound files.

Could try going to savedgames/MissionEditor/settings.lua and deleting the line listing the soundPath. Then check that folder and see if there are any odd files in there that DCS can't open.

• Thanks 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, tried the fix "try going to savedgames/MissionEditor/settings.lua and deleting the line listing the soundPath" and I also moved the file shown in the soundpath out of my sound folder, first try seems to be successful

• Like 1

August 2020 and I also can't "OPEN" anything. Pressing open should bring up the file explorer withing DCS but it does not.

The extension of the file or where it's located has nothing to do with it. The file explorer should at least pop up.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

same Problem here after the last patch

I had the same problem, tried the fix "try going to savedgames/MissionEditor/settings.lua and deleting the line listing the soundPath" and I also moved the file shown in the soundpath out of my sound folder, first try seems to be successful

Delete the soundPath works for me

Edited by Siema

Mobo: ASUS Maximus IX Hero, CPU: i7-7700K @ 4,8, GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC, RAM: 32 GB G Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, SSD: Samsung EVO 1Tb, SSD2: Samsung EVO 512 GB, HDD: Seagate Baracude 2Tb, Soundcard: Asus Strix Raid Pro

Joystick: Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Base with 50CM2 Grip

Trottle: Virpil MongoosT-50CM Throttle V3

Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR

Track IR 5 Pro

Thrustmaster MFCD and Elgato Streamdeck XL

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/siema02/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/siema112/

I had the same problem after using sound files created by a free online text to speech converter - www,texttospeechfree,com.

I think their file format is bad and that threw DCS into a stuck loop somehow. Tried restarting DCS but that didn't work. Then tried a re-boot of my PC and afterwards I could get the file browser to open again and select a sound file. Tried the same file again and got stuck again.

I then downloaded Balabolka and tried using files created by it - after another re-boot to "unstick" DCS - and they worked fine.

I had this problem in both Stable 2.5.6.52437 and Open Beta 2.5.6.54046

For me it seemed to be a bad sound file that caused the problem, fixed with just a PC re-boot and using good sound files.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

It worked normaly for me until i tried to select a file to convert from a online tool.

I almost tried everything mentionned with things described above with the same result. No sound file dialog.

When i looked closely to the file where i saved my sounds i saw that Windows displays the informations as music files instead normal file.  Windows did the changes automatically without asking.

So select the sounds folder properties last tabs there's an option called optimized folder. It's now set as music instead as document...  Just put back to document and delete in DCS Editor the sound action and re add it. 

The file dialog is appered again.

Hope this will work for you.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 2:13 AM, Marauder699 said:

Hello everyone,

It worked normaly for me until i tried to select a file to convert from a online tool.

I almost tried everything mentionned with things described above with the same result. No sound file dialog.

When i looked closely to the file where i saved my sounds i saw that Windows displays the informations as music files instead normal file.  Windows did the changes automatically without asking.

So select the sounds folder properties last tabs there's an option called optimized folder. It's now set as music instead as document...  Just put back to document and delete in DCS Editor the sound action and re add it. 

The file dialog is appered again.

Hope this will work for you.

Hi mate.

Great help. I did was you said and the thing went to normal again. I did two things, in deed; one what you said, and the other one was to eliminate all the sound files (non .miz files) from the mission foldes. Can´t tell what did the trick, but I got it to normal again.

Thanks again.

Saludos.

Saca111

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2020 at 2:55 PM, Minijohn said:

Thanks   @Minijohn
I had this issue for a long time 
it helped me and solved my issue 👍

CPU :Intel® Core i5-4690K CPU @3.50GHz 3.50GHz GPU :RX 580 Sapphire |RAM : 16GB | SSD 500GB & 1TB Samsung | Flight gear : T.16000 FCS Flight Pack

⚡ Wishlist :    F-117 Nighthawk  | F-14D Super Tomcat |  F-111 Aardvark | P-38M Lightning   ⚡