I'm burned out on AMD, is this a worthwhile upgrade?

I've been a long time fan of AMD stuff, and I'd bet the last time I bought Intel or Nvidia was in the 1990s. I guess it was familiarity, I don't know. But, I'm currently running a recently resuscitated system; I'm not 100% sure what happened, but it required multiple windows resets to even get close to running right again. It's pretty much my sig, minus 8gb of ram. I'm looking at an i7 8700k, 1080ti setup. UserBenchmark vs what I'm currently running has the i7 setup beating out this one by over 50% all the way around; 132%, 135% and 125% vs 53%, 53% and 44%. That said, I know that's "on paper". Will this reflect in the "real world"?

Sorry, no cool signature here.

Simple answer, we don't know yet.

Quite clearly, 2.5 is still being refined/optimised/fixed (depending upon your point of view). I'd suggest you wait and see what the results are. In addition, Vulkan may well make use of those additional cores. on the CPU. Less sure on the GPU though..

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I've been a long time fan of AMD stuff, and I'd bet the last time I bought Intel or Nvidia was in the 1990s. I guess it was familiarity, I don't know. But, I'm currently running a recently resuscitated system; I'm not 100% sure what happened, but it required multiple windows resets to even get close to running right again. It's pretty much my sig, minus 8gb of ram. I'm looking at an i7 8700k, 1080ti setup. UserBenchmark vs what I'm currently running has the i7 setup beating out this one by over 50% all the way around; 132%, 135% and 125% vs 53%, 53% and 44%. That said, I know that's "on paper". Will this reflect in the "real world"?

What kind of resolution are you running?

Also why run 2400 Mhz RAM with Ryzen? 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz is recommended.

Did you try overclocking your CPU?

Do you have DCS installed on an SSD?

Agreed with Silvern about the ram speed on Ryzen it matters quite a bit. For example i didnt know about the whole Hynix, Samsung ram modules problem when i bought my ram for the r7 1700 and because they were Hynix the system was using so slack timings to get it to run at 3200 it was actually making it slower than 2133. ive got some samsung b-dies coming on sunday and will be able to run 3200 with tight timings so will let you know the results.

I highly doubt that with the system your are suggesting that you will have any issue running 2.5. Most of us on 4790K's aren't that worried about it so there is no reason if you buy a 8700K.

I went through an AMD "phase" myself. It was challenging. I learned a lot but I'm very glad I went back to intel.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Resolution day to day is 1920x1080, for DCS it's whatever Rift defaults to. 2400 because that's how this system arrived. I can't overclock, this mb doesn't support it. DCS is currently on a regular old hdd.

So you play DCS with Oculus rift with RX470?

That's your bottleneck then. The higher the resolution, the bigger role GPU plays. CPU really isn't the problem here.

I assume you are using pre-built system.

My plan of action in your position would be:

1) SSD above all else

2) GPU that can run VR (GPU prices are insane atm)

3) Faster RAM (RAM prices are insane atm)

4) Not going Intel 8700k, it is better to wait few months for the new Ryzen since your motherboard supports future AMD chips

Well, the rx470 was running DCS in VR fairly acceptably, at least in single player. I don't recall my settings off the top of my head, but it normally remained around 45fps, obvious occasional dips when over Vegas or similar. I was running it with DS on. This video was on the 470 in Rift, though it uploaded at a low resolution, that's not what it looked like in game. I did record it using the win+g method, it uploaded in 380p I believe.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

What kind of resolution are you running?

Also why run 2400 Mhz RAM with Ryzen? 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz is recommended.

Did you try overclocking your CPU?

Do you have DCS installed on an SSD?

The speed of your memory has zero effect on gaming performance, says some benchmark I found at PC Gamer or somewhere a while ago. Wouldn't worry.

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

The speed of your memory has zero effect on gaming performance, says some benchmark I found at PC Gamer or somewhere a while ago. Wouldn't worry.

true usually...but with Ryzen it is a very important settings becouse the infinity fabric (the channel between the two chips that make the CPU) is at Ram speed...so when the OS switch a thread to a CPU core from the other this has an huge impact....

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Meta Quest Pro 🕹️ FFBeast + Virpil VFX/Virpil Alpha, VKB Stecs Max, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

On an Intel this is mostly true but quite the opposite is true with Ryzen.

Ryzen's CCX's are interconnected with the same speed that your DDR4 runs at.

It is crucial for such systems to have at least 2800 afaik, or was it 2933 ?

Below that you have symptoms you dont want if the cores used are on different CCX's.

This is stated by most if not any funded and trusted review of Ryzen & Gaming.

But yeah, on Intel it is not that much of a problem, rather 32GB 2133 than 16GB 4133, size over speed. If you need bandwidth, there is Epyc, 8 channels, or Intel Xeon with 6 vs the 2 channels we usually get in desktop boards.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Sapphire  Nitro+ 7800XT - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X