Introducing the DFDT Cockpit Project

Joe Kurr

YAY! Finally got the electronics to work :D

I added two LEDs, one to see if it is connected to USB (and has +5V power supply) and one to see if the programmer is connected.

stick-working-2.jpg

After some wire-tracing, re-soldering here and there, and trying different firmware versions, I finally got it recognized by Windows.

stick-working-3.jpg

Seems like I've got an extra axis (there should be six, it says seven) :D

stick-working-1.jpg

Next step is to connect all the remaining pots and ground all ports I don't use at the moment,

since the controller seems to have a problem with non-connected ports.

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
With the Cougar we have the problem with the analog Hat switch, in which the circuit in the Cougar grip is not designed for.

And when we want to make an easy interchangable grip, we need a big nut for fastening the grip like the original one, and make a circuit board like the original one with the 5 point PS/2 plug as the connection.

:joystick:

Hmmm .. tricky. Of course it might be that users would be happy to sacrifice a Cougar to use with your grip. In which case it might be possible to explore using the wiring from the throttle's microstick for your analogue hat switch (and incorporate possibly that T1 switch position) and the electronics from the F-16 grip. In some countries the cost of the Cougar is pretty cheap particularly in relation to some mods, so that may be a solution.

It's then fairly easy to modify Foxy to support the new grip.

Cheers

James

Another option we're investigating is to use the rudder connector on the stick for our microstick.

This gives us three more axes.

Only drawbacks are:

- External cable from the grip to the rudder connector

- Only one axis left for the rudder

This seems to be the neatest option though, as people can just screw on the grip, plug in the external connector to the base, and start flying.

At the Lowland Tiger Meet, last week-end, our friend JaBoG32_MightyM took these pictures of our display: (I placed them as hyperlinks because images of 2576 x 1932 px would severely screw this forum's layout)

Image 1 - Cockpit panel

Image 2 - Grip prototype and parts

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

This the the sickest thing I've ever seen..

What do you mean by that.

And thanks for the updates! I always look forward to seeing how it's comming allong. maybe i'll even eventually get a cougar just for your Su-27 stick!

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

What do you mean by that.

Come on.... you haven't heard that expression ...:laugh:

I think it came from car customizers originally... That's Sick, or that's Cool, it means that its out of the box, or your pushing the envelope...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Hmmm .. tricky. Of course it might be that users would be happy to sacrifice a Cougar to use with your grip. In which case it might be possible to explore using the wiring from the throttle's microstick for your analogue hat switch (and incorporate possibly that T1 switch position) and the electronics from the F-16 grip. In some countries the cost of the Cougar is pretty cheap particularly in relation to some mods, so that may be a solution.

Cheers

James

Joe: You guy's are starting to get a lot of attention with this concept..

When James Hallows starts posting regarding your proto type you know that your hitting a nerve....

I mean James Hallows is one of the Cougars founding fathers and the creator of the Cougar Foxy software..

He's a real Cougar Guru...

So once again thanks for keeping us informed, and I'll continue to observe this with eager anticipation...

Oh and PS:you might just find a second hand Cougar for sale at Cougar World.. I know that I've seen them there from time to time ...

~S~

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Cheers

James

I just saw your post this morning, thank you for coming in, your input is of course of great value, thanks:)

Come on.... you haven't heard that expression ...:laugh:

I think it came from car customizers originally... That's Sick, or that's Cool, it means that its out of the box, or your pushing the envelope...

~S~

Blaze

Oh, sorry, i misread. I thought he said "suckiest."

Sorry konkussion, my bad. :noexpression:

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Dude. You are truly obsessed with that post count- aren't you? :huh:

No, why? does it really mater?

look, i'm sorry, if you want me to leave I will...

• 2 weeks later...

****ing hell......:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is tooo sweet:thumbup:

Could you please explain all the buttons on the stick when you have the model finished? pleasseeeeee

DCS World, A10C, AV8B, M2k, FA18C, FC3, MIG21

Great project! I wish I was part of this..

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Ok, 7rooper has a good point.....What can the rest of us do to assist you in this project? We all support you, and many uf us wouldlike to help in whatever way we can.

m0untain6uy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

**Russian aircraft in the Colorado Rockies**

Ok, 7rooper has a good point.....What can the rest of us do to assist you in this project? We all support you, and many uf us wouldlike to help in whatever way we can.

Just by visiting and have some positive or negative comments,

is already helpfull:)

(Very nice addon HPO, thanks!)

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

Hehe, yes just like wasserfall says your nice comments are of great help, they are really motivating to make this project work.:)

Thanks for the offer,

• Like 1

I have been holding out on buying a cougar for a while, waiting for the add on "A-10, F-15, etc" grips that were SUPPOSED to come out from the TM factory. However, if you produce this stick, I will MOST DEFFINITELY purchase one from you for my Su-25 pit. I will also purchase the required cougar from TM. However, the only way I will EVER purchase a cougar is there are grips available OTHER than the f-16.

m0untain6uy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

**Russian aircraft in the Colorado Rockies**

I do have a X45, and I've already performed a mod with the stick extended an twisted withing 30° to the left, and I'd be really very much interested in this wonderfull stick to install in my pit...:thumbup:

System Configuration: Windows 10 64bits, Intel I5-3570K, 8Go DDR3-1333Mhz, GeForce GTX 560Ti LE

DCS-FC3 Version 1.5.3