Initial Hornet Impressions w/ Bugs Reports

neofightr

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is any real conspiracy there. She does all the Boeing voices in the real F-15, has done so for as long as I know, and it still sounds a bit different than the ones you hear on recorded audio footage. Depending on how it's recorded, what's used to play it back, what's used to record(used to be 8 mil tape now mostly digital recording from what I know of). Raw audio vs what you hear sent over the cockpit system and then recorded again for the videos that most people know can be plenty different.

Thanks for this video, she's awesome!

Pretty simple, speedbrake incrementally extends in video, voice claims it should not. Post here says it fully extended without having to hold.

Speedbrake in the sim functions incrementally based on current switch position. As advertised.

Neofighter talks in his video about his experience in the same airframe about Speed Break being only Full Out or Full In. No incremental position. You press the extend and you can release it as it goes fully out. If you press again it goes back in. You couldn't get "Hold and release in wanted incremental position".

Then he writes here that when he was flying, there was no instrument to tell you the Air Break incremental position. You either had it out or you had it in.

Meaning. In the Module right now you can do incremental Air Break out or in, what shouldn't be possible.

I don't get that conflict you hear in his video or read here. So as he says, if Boeing has updated it since he didn't anymore fly that Lot 20, then it is modeled from updated Hornet. As I think he would very well know how the Speed Break behaves as he has 1200 hours and hundreds of carrier traps and you would know that Speed Break is something he is custom to use now and then.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

A real pilot says on the internet that the Betty "isn't original, but pretty close". I'd not dare to argue with that. The simplest explanation is that Betty is classified.

p.s. I am real Betty and I'll make a video about it. :pilotfly:

Could it be possible that the audio system in Hornet is so bad that it is distorting the audio the pilot hears, so the difference in audio is big between the original Betty audio files that developers got, and what the real pilot hears via Hornet crappy audio system?

It is like difference between a analog radio communication and VoIP with good codec.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Neofighter talks in his video about his experience in the same airframe about Speed Break being only Full Out or Full In. No incremental position. You press the extend and you can release it as it goes fully out. If you press again it goes back in. You couldn't get "Hold and release in wanted incremental position".

Then he writes here that when he was flying, there was no instrument to tell you the Air Break incremental position. You either had it out or you had it in.

Meaning. In the Module right now you can do incremental Air Break out or in, what shouldn't be possible.

I don't get that conflict you hear in his video or read here. So as he says, if Boeing has updated it since he didn't anymore fly that Lot 20, then it is modeled from updated Hornet. As I think he would very well know how the Speed Break behaves as he has 1200 hours and hundreds of carrier traps and you would know that Speed Break is something he is custom to use now and then.

It does not...it moves in increments like the way it was designed. And no, it's not a change...it's been that way....I even posted a link to a legacy version of the manual...same same.

He already said in a further post that he has it wrong....

As far as whether a "real" or "actual" pilot would fundamentally know how the real thing works is your call to make. Out of all the real pilots I've dealt with in my life...he would be the first for me and that's dealing with guys that have 0 hours in an airframe to over 3K.

Again...completely up to you to make your own judgement.

Edited by Rainmaker

Per NATOPS...must have been a late lot change. Great video though, and thanks for taking the time to help ED refine things

1d7aadeab4079c5f09b06bb6cc35d81f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can set up the boat switch on the Warthog throttle to emulate this.

I know one thing after flying around for a bit sightseeing on the PG map. You guy's had it easy with that autopilot, you can see how the systems are refined here to make it easier for hands off flying like in civi aircraft. Makes the A-10C autopilot look like hard work.:)

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

As far as whether a "real" or "actual" pilot would fundamentally know how the real thing works is your call to make. Out of all the real pilots I've dealt with in my life...he would be the first for me and that's dealing with guys that have 0 hours in an airframe to over 3K.

Hey man, the speedbrake thing is a minor thing, and I'm sure there is plenty of individual peculiarities between pilots when it comes to those small non-essential procedure.. And there are many differences between how the navy and the airforce works, which I'm not sure which you worked with? Also, the guy said he flew the thing 20 years ago, that's plenty of time to forget a lot of stuff.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

This is all still WIP anyway and an amazing launch of this new very technical and dynamic aircraft.

I would also like to hear how this experience VR or Not compares to the training simulators they used back in there day LOL.:huh:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Bitchin' Betty was an engineer for Boeing for 35 years. I'm certain she recorded multiple sets of audio warnings for the earliest Hornets vs the latest Hornets vs the Rhinos.

Which set of audio warnings was given by Boeing to ED is really only known by Boeing. Not even ED knows exactly which set was given to them because ED wasn't the creator of the audio. If a Hornet pilot with 1200 hours says that the audio he's hearing in the ED module is different from what he heard when he was flying the jet, I will believe the pilot.

Is the pilot's perception of the audio was altered because of the noise of the jet or the quality of speakers or perhaps some innate aspect of the encoding, then these can be adjusted for the module with audio filtering.

If, on the other hand, the voice audio is distinctly different from the source material for "early" Block 20 aircraft (if you want to call it "early") based on timbre of the voice, pace, intonation, then the only way to fix it is for ED to obtain an earlier set of Bitchin' Betty audio from Boeing/McDonnell Douglas.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome to have some real hornet driver feedback! Many thanks.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It does not...it moves in increments like the way it was designed. And no, it's not a change...it's been that way....I even posted a link to a legacy version of the manual...same same.

He already said in a further post that he has it wrong....

You are an armchair pilot who is saying a real pilot is wrong. :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are an armchair pilot who is saying a real pilot is wrong. :doh:

Lol...then the flight manual is wrong too then yes? Read the rest of the thread...then comment on what's correct and what's not.

Let's go this route....I now have 1200 hrs as a fighter pilot. That's apparently all it takes to qualify yourself around here and the only thing that needs to be said to qualify as a real pilot. If you repeat it enough, it must be true. There...done. :ermm:

Appreciate the video and feedback. Will have to subscribe and keep watching as updates take place. Currently I have the speed brake mapped to the warthog throttle three position switch same as in the A10C. Push forward and it extends, return the switch to center, it stops extending and stays there. Go aft and it starts closing. There are also other mappings you can assign in the controls for the spreed brake like toggle on/off rather than extend and retract.

Glad that they are working on the elevators/flight model with the flaps issue. Curious what your thoughts are on the trim? I know Wags mentioned it is supposed to be much slower than what we are used to. I have been having such a hard time trimming and trying to land, but perhaps this is due to the flaps issue.

I also wonder if any of the people that had the preview version and put the many videos on Youtube noticed this when landing, they made it seem so easy. But for what its worth, I'm very happy with the aircraft, the training missions, and all the instant action missions included. Just a joy to fly too as long as your aren't trying to land on the carrier :)

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

then the flight manual is wrong too then yes?

Can you point out any documentation or photos which show speedbrake extension in a Lot 20 Hornet expressed as a percentage of "extended" vs "retracted" to indicate to the pilot the amount of airbrake that is currently open?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lol...then the flight manual is wrong too then yes? Read the rest of the thread...then comment on what's correct and what's not.

Let's go this route....I now have 1200 hrs as a fighter pilot. That's apparently all it takes to qualify yourself around here and the only thing that needs to be said to qualify as a real pilot. If you repeat it enough, it must be true. There...done. :ermm:

ED seems to be taking what he says seriously. I cant imagine they haven't checked who he is before they make changes to a flight model.

I get annoyed that every second guy or girl on here claims to be a real life pilot when its clear some of them are bull shitting but heh, that's the internet and this guy seems to be have genuine knowledge.

Here's food for thought for you- There is literally no evidence to support your claims either. You keep constantly talking about your years and years spent "around pilots". There is no more evidence of that than there is of him being a Hornet pilot. As you say yourself, anyone on here can claim to be "qualified"

And even if it was true, according to you, you were an electrician, ie never flown the dam thing yourself in your life. If i want to know how to drive an F1 car, ill speak to Lewis Hamilton, not the guy who wires his steering wheel.

Modules- F15, F18, Spitfire, Mirage F1, Persian Gulf, Normandy 2.0, Syria, WW2 assets.

"Try to have the same number of landings as you have takeoffs"

neofightr has already admitted he was wrong. If you doubt his legit, you can check his older posts where he talks about his deployments at great detail, among other amazing stories.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

DONT'T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR!

BUT DAD I WANNA GO TO DISNEYLAND!!!!

Modules- F15, F18, Spitfire, Mirage F1, Persian Gulf, Normandy 2.0, Syria, WW2 assets.

"Try to have the same number of landings as you have takeoffs"

Can you point out any documentation or photos which show speedbrake extension in a Lot 20 Hornet expressed as a percentage of "extended" vs "retracted" to indicate to the pilot the amount of airbrake that is currently open?

It wasn't a topic of discussion. If you want to know proper operation there have been multiple links/screenshots posted on how the real thing actually works in this thread already.

It wasn't a topic of discussion. If you want to know proper operation there have been multiple links/screenshots posted on how the real thing actually works in this thread already.

It was possibly just a muscle memory thing, unless you set it up on the warthog boat switch as a rocker instead of using buttons.

Can we move on from this, Neofightr is a retired F/A-18 pilot and his been in many threads around here and posted lots of good stuff, also with IvanK Australian retired F/A-18 pilot. Oh and ttaylor0024 USN pilot.

Edited by David OC

Excellent video. Thx

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

Agreed I rather they dont close this thread because of quarreling. I'm sure ED has talked to many pilots before putting together this module and I'm fairly certain things will be addressed if needed, it is work in progress after all.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz