Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

1 hour ago, CrazyGman said:

F1-CE getting closer to early access. With R530s!!

R530's?! That's wicked. Well, it carries only two of those. We'll have to wait and see, especially when having F-14A's involved in some missions. That's a lot of headache for Red. Nevertheless, all will be adjusted without ruining the FUN factor of it! So relax there, folks. Don't let this video scare you, Red pilots! 😉

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

31 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

R530's?! That's wicked. Well, it carries only two of those. We'll have to wait and see, especially when having F-14A's involved in some missions. That's a lot of headache for Red. Nevertheless, all will be adjusted without ruining the FUN factor of it! So relax there, folks. Don't let this video scare you, Red pilots! 😉

These look like first versions, which were borderline unusable. Besides there was a lot of combat between F14A and F1s in Iran Iraq War, which seem to be perfect scenario for Cold War, too bad we dont have perfect map for it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Unfortunately R530s are quite poor missiles, on par with R3Rs. Super 530s on the other hand, oh boy!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Get_Lo said:

Unfortunately R530s are quite poor missiles, on par with R3Rs. Super 530s on the other hand, oh boy!!

Are they really that bad?! I mean, they outrange the R3R missile by 10-12 km and travel faster. On the other hand they're way heavier but if you fire them before you enter a dogfight (and you really SHOULD!) then you're fine. Pretty much like the MiG-21. I always fire the R3R's first or jettison them before entering a dogfight. The only question is how good are they in terms of tracking. Are they a threat to helicopters? MiG-19's and MiG-15's have no chance without dispensing chaff (because they have none)? Can you look and track downwards? Ground clutter has a minor/major effect? Etc. That's what's on my mind so we'll simply have to wait and see.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

11 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Are they really that bad?! I mean, they outrange the R3R missile by 10-12 km and travel faster. On the other hand they're way heavier but if you fire them before you enter a dogfight (and you really SHOULD!) then you're fine. Pretty much like the MiG-21. I always fire the R3R's first or jettison them before entering a dogfight. The only question is how good are they in terms of tracking. Are they a threat to helicopters? MiG-19's and MiG-15's have no chance without dispensing chaff (because they have none)? Can you look and track downwards? Ground clutter has a minor/major effect? Etc. That's what's on my mind so we'll simply have to wait and see.

well if you're flying straight they can be a problem, but in a direct comparison to the R3R, the R3R is far more capable at hitting a turning aircraft as it retains the controls from the R3S missile and should accelerate a lot better, also the R530 runs with a sustainer motor that should produce a smoke trail for most of its flight. The F1CE's radar has a good range but should struggle with ground clutter as the Cyrano IV didnt receive any sort of "look down" until the Cyrano IVM which will be coming on the F1EE. It should all depend on the simulation of the R530, but in real life the R530 was more dangerous to the launch plane than the target.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

.....you could just have a few missions where it's a red force plane.....sure most of the time it could be blue but you could take the MiG 29 away and give us 4 mirage slots 😉.

Honestly I don't think the R530s will be a huge dramatic games changer. With the CE  version of the F1 they will almost certainly not be able to track targets below them in ground clutter and while it's range is decent compared to the R3R, it's manuverabilty against targets defending against it likely won't be great. Plus it's a heavy missile over twice the weight of a AIM 9. I'll likeky be firing both one a secomd or 2 after the other and then go with AIM 9s like you yourself was planing. 

Edited by CrazyGman

On 5/6/2021 at 3:11 AM, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

- The warehouses in all Caucasus missions have been fixed.

- The Blue FARP in the mission When The Mountains Cry has been upgraded. The Red FARP has been already.

Thanks man, makes it a lot more immersive.

But on a side note, when I landed in the square and exited back to spectator it dint save the Huey like it usually do. 🤨 ?

Huey. Intel X5660 4,2ghz, 24gb ddr3, gtx 1060 6gb

AJS37. Cyborg evo

Yak 52. Opentrack ir

KA-50

P-47

2 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

.....you could just have a few missions where it's a red force plane.....sure most of the time it could be blue but you could take the MiG 29 away and give us 4 mirage slots 😉.

Honestly I don't think the R530s will be a huge dramatic games changer. With the CE  version of the F1 they will almost certainly not be able to track targets below them in ground clutter and while it's range is decent compared to the R3R, it's manuverabilty against targets defending against it likely won't be great. Plus it's a heavy missile over twice the weight of a AIM 9. I'll likeky be firing both one a secomd or 2 after the other and then go with AIM 9s like you yourself was planing. 

id be a fan of occasionally having it fly on REDFOR in place of the MiG-29 but ONLY if its the EE version and it gets S530Fs

23 hours ago, GeneralMav24 said:

"five points unleashed"  mission has the SA342Mistrals but it wont let me get into those slots but I can get into the Viggen slots at the same field? checked the storage page and it shows full stock of both airframes.

Just checked the mission file; all good. Should be fine actually. I always see Mistrals flying there.

3 hours ago, Rover said:

Thanks man, makes it a lot more immersive.

But on a side note, when I landed in the square and exited back to spectator it dint save the Huey like it usually do. 🤨 ?

Hard to tell what caused that from reading the above. Must've been just that one time, I guess. Never heard the like before.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

A NEW MISSION HAS ARRIVED!!!

Operation: The Tunb Identity

* The mission goes online tonight around 1700 zulu.

* The mission lasts for 4 hours.

Situation:

RED airbases: Qeshm Island and Bandar Lengeh.
BLUE airbases: Ras Al Khaimah Intl, Abu Musa Island, Khasab and Sirri Island.

*** The main airbases are NOT to be attacked: Qeshm Island and Ras Al Khaimah Intl ***
*** Every other base can be attacked ***

Claiming the two Tunb islands is very valuable for both the Red and Blue coalitions in order to control various sea routes in the peninsula. (This is by the way a real life issue between Iran and the UAE with additional islands being included in the dispute. This mission however, does not simulate any battle or skirmish that might've taken place in the area).
Both islands are neutral at mission's start. That means the airbases at the two islands have neither a Red nor a Blue identity attached to them; both are neutral. The airbases at the two islands have empty warehouses and can only provide fuel if needed for a coalition's airforce holding that particular airbase.

Both coalitions have no ground forces available on either island at mission's start. However, 16 Red and 12 Blue speedboats are on their way to unload APC's onto the islands. Red speedboats are approaching the islands from the north while Blue speedboats are approaching the islands from the southwest. Each Red speedboat carries one BTR-80. Each Blue Speedboat carries either one APC M113 or one APC Humvee. The Humvee has the speed advantage over the M113 and even the BTR-80.
Mi-8's and UH-1's can transport additional APC's of the same type as mentioned above to reinforce their ground forces.
Note that the speedboats of both coalitions travel at a speed of 50 kph (ca. 31 mph) and their ETA is 35-50 minutes.

The coalition holding both islands by the end of the mission (4 hours) is declared as the winner. Note that ground units at Tunb Island AFB (the eastern and bigger island) MUST be within 2 km from the runway's middle section to capture the airbase. This doesn't apply to the smaller island of Tunb Kochak, because deployed ground units are instantly within the parameters of capturing the airbase at the smaller island.

NOTE:
If a GCI operator is available, make sure you contact him and provide your assistance to wherever help is needed the most.
Teamwork is the key so make sure you stay on comms with other players even if a GCI operator is not available.

Check out the radio frequencies for comms below.

====================================

RED Obejctives:

Important Notes:

MiG's operate from Qeshm Island ONLY! That means pilots should always RTB to Qeshm Island airbase and park their MiG there safely (not on the runway!) before they leave the slot. If you are unable to RTB to Qeshm Island you can RTB to Bandar Lengeh airbase instead. The reserve MiG slots become only then operational depending on how many MiG's were transferred to Bandar Lengeh. Note that air missiles are only available in small numbers at Bandar Lengeh airbase.

Landing at Sirri Island is only allowed in emergencies. No weapons available at all, only fuel and repairing.

Mi-8's operate from a FARP at Bandar Lengeh airbase ONLY! Make sure you always RTB to Bandar Lengeh and land your helicopter at the exact same single helipad you took off from so remember your spot!

NOTE:
You don't have to shut down your engines to save the aircraft. You only need to park it (not on the runway!) before you leave the slot and it becomes available at that airbase.

*******************************************************************************************************

MiG's:

- Intercept enemy speedboats approaching the islands at bullseye coming from the southwest.
- Intercept enemy fighters on their way to destroy our speedboats, helicopters and ground forces at bullseye.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mi-8's:

- Transporting BTR-80's is your main task.
- Deploy additional EWR's if needed.

Mi-8's -> Picking up crates:
Bring up your radio menu, select F10 for CTLD and then whatever type of crates you want to pick up.

*** You can only pick up one crate at a time ***

For picking up a crate, maintain hover over it for 5 seconds while keeping an altitude of at least 7.5 meters and a maximum altitude of 15 meters.

To unpack a crate, make sure you're at least 5 km away from the FARP/airbase you started at.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combined Arms:

The 2 cmdr slots are for players controlling ground units while being on SRS with each other and other players to coordinate their attacks.
You MUST be on SRS as a cmdr operator!
The JTAC slots are mainly for players who want to check out the situation quickly, provide GCI for a group of people or preferably everyone. In addition, you can use the JTAC slot to drive a ground unit. However, the latter requires you being on comms with cmdr operators to avoid confusion and/or causing problems to their attacks.
Frequencies:

EWR / GCI: 124 MHz, channel 0 for MiG-21's. Channel 2 for MiG-19's.

====================================

BLUE Objectives:

Important Notes:

F-5's and AJS37's operate from Ras Al Khaimah Intl ONLY! That means pilots should always RTB to Ras Al Khaimah airbase and park their aircraft there safely (not on the runway!) before they leave the slot. If you are unable to RTB to Ras Al Khaimah you can RTB to Khasab airbase instead. The reserve slots become only then operational depending on how many aircraft of what type were transferred to Khasab. Note that air missiles are only available in small numbers at Khasab airbase.

UH-1's operate from Abu Musa Island airbase ONLY! Make sure you always RTB to Abu Musa and nowhere else.

NOTE:
You don't have to shut down your engines to save the aircraft. You only need to park it (not on the runway!) before you leave the slot and it becomes available at that airbase.

*******************************************************************************************************

F-5's:

- Intercept enemy fighters on their way to destroy our speedboats, helicopters and ground forces at bullseye.
- You can also help intercepting enemy speedboats approaching the islands from the north (AJS37 task).
AJS37's:

- Intercept enemy speedboats approaching the islands at bullseye coming from the southwest.
- Search and destroy enemy ground units on both islands.
- Waypoint-1 is Tunb Island AFB (eastern island).
- Waypoint-2 is Tunb Kochak (western island).
UH-1's:

- Transporting M113's or Humvees is your main task.
- Deploy additional EWR's if needed.

UH-1's -> Picking up crates:
Bring up your radio menu, select F10 for CTLD and then whatever type of crates you want to pick up.

*** You can only pick up one crate at a time ***

For picking up a crate, maintain hover over it for 5 seconds, while keeping an altitude of at least 25 feet and a maximum altitude of 50 feet.

To unpack a crate, make sure you're at least 3 miles away from the airbase you started at.
Combined Arms:

The 2 cmdr slots are for players controlling ground units while being on SRS with each other and other players to coordinate their attacks.
You MUST be on SRS as a cmdr operator!
The JTAC slots are mainly for players who want to check out the situation quickly, provide GCI for a group of people or preferably everyone. In addition, you can use the JTAC slot to drive a ground unit. However, the latter requires you being on comms with cmdr operators to avoid confusion and/or causing problems to their attacks.
Frequencies:

EWR / GCI: 251 MHz, callsign: Axeman

important notes.png

briefing.png

server rules.png

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On the Tunb Identity right now - Blue is claiming that they can't spawn into anything but Hueys. Attempts to spawn into F5s fail to put folks in the aircraft.

Edited by batsoup

20 minutes ago, batsoup said:

On the Tunb Identity right now - Blue is claiming that they can't spawn into anything but Hueys. Attempts to spawn into F5s fail to put folks in the aircraft.

Checking...

EDIT:

Fixed. Thanks for reporting.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Also, boats after they deploy vehicles can be moved with waypoints as tac commander and used as defence of islands. Not sure if that is intentional.

Mi8 carry humvee not btrs.

Edited by Apok

2 hours ago, ustio said:

Hello Alpen. It seems Blue team can't equip any A2A missile

43 minutes ago, Apok said:

Also, boats after they deploy vehicles can be moved with waypoints as tac commander and used as defence of islands. Not sure if that is intentional.

Mi8 carry humvee not btrs.

I'll check it out again, although I'm sure these tiny little things were tested multiple times. Shame... Sorry for the mishap.

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

* Operation Prince of Persia is offline.

* Operation The Tunb Identity:

- Warehouses empty - Fixed.

- Mi-8's don't transport BTR-80's - Fixed.

- UH-1's can now transport only one APC type; M113's. Adding the Humvees caused the CTLD script to malfunction so Mi-8's ended up transporting those instead of BTR-80's.

- Briefing adjusted after the aforementioned changes.

- The speedboats are not supposed to be player controlled and actually they are not as I've just checked that in the ME. Not sure what caused them to be player controlled.

- If the issue happens again I'll have to make the speedboats hidden on the map, I'm afraid. Not good if GCI wants to know where they are to send aerial cover if needed.

- The mission will go online tomorrow around 1700 or 1730 zulu.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 5/8/2021 at 5:12 AM, Alpenwolf said:

R530s are pretty miserable, a far cry from the 530D which is among the best SARH missiles in the game. They don't manoeuvre well and without lookdown, I don't think the 21s will need to worry too much - the F-14s are (or at least, should be) much more of a threat with both more and better missiles. I'm curious to see how the F1 handles in close... it has an absolutely woeful TWR, even worse than the F-5's twin afterburning hairdryers, but lots of nice fancy high-lift devices on the wings.

Any BVR reign of terror the F1 does enjoy is going to stop the day the 23 arrives, anyway, even if the latter is restricted to R-23s rather than 24s 😳

Absolutely love the new FARPs, by the way! Glad to see them spreading to more and more missions.

Edited by rossmum
  • Like 1

Update:

The speedboats in the new mission The Tunb Identity are not player controlled. I started a test server through multiplayer and the speedboats remained that way the entire mission. However, when the mission runs through ED's dedicated servers (which is the case with the Cold War 1947 - 1991 server) the speedboats are player controlled. There must be something triggering that to happen. By the way, by "player controlled" I mean controlled through the cmdr slot and not literally driven by the player himself. That means the player can only assign waypoints to them.

Thinking about it, why not keep it that way. Let the players assign waypoints to the speedboats and have them attack each other or intercept helicopters. Let's see how that plays out tonight.

Every time I restart the server sometimes some ground assets are missing as you all know. It seems that the dedicated server's engine fails to upload all the elements of a mission the first time it goes online. Only by the second time the mission is launched everything is fine again. Very weird. I'll file a report to ED. We'll see. It might be a known issue already.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

7 hours ago, rossmum said:

R530s are pretty miserable, a far cry from the 530D which is among the best SARH missiles in the game. They don't manoeuvre well and without lookdown, I don't think the 21s will need to worry too much - the F-14s are (or at least, should be) much more of a threat with both more and better missiles. I'm curious to see how the F1 handles in close... it has an absolutely woeful TWR, even worse than the F-5's twin afterburning hairdryers, but lots of nice fancy high-lift devices on the wings.

Any BVR reign of terror the F1 does enjoy is going to stop the day the 23 arrives, anyway, even if the latter is restricted to R-23s rather than 24s 😳

Absolutely love the new FARPs, by the way! Glad to see them spreading to more and more missions.

The TWR of the F1 is better then the F-5 less then the 21Bis. It's .66 compared to the F-5 0.58

Server News:

- Operation Sneaky Bastards is currently offline. The first 3 hours are in the dark and the last 2 hours are around dawn, sunrise and early morning.

I'll change that into a fully day mission (probably starting in the early morning hours/dawn) and adjust things accordingly. I'll see what I can do.

- Operation One Night in Arabia is also offline, takes place only in the dark and lasts for 3 hours. No rework is planned currently and I might keep the mission offline.

- More FARP's are being upgraded.

- Work on a new mission will start after finishing the job on Sneaky Bastards.

There were about 30 players yesterday flying the mission The Tunb Identity. I'd like some feedback from you please if possible and whether allowing cmdr operators to control the speedboats was an issue or not. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

3 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

The TWR of the F1 is better then the F-5 less then the 21Bis. It's .66 compared to the F-5 0.58

Could've sworn it was a little worse, coming off some US chart or other I saw a week or two ago. Wish I could remember what the diagram was called or where it was from... in any case, woeful TWR still stands. Meanwhile, come to red team, we have t h r u s t 🤣

• Like 1

The Tunb Identity:

Is it posible to drop AA by choppers on islands? (Shilka/Vulcan) Droping Ammo truck is pointless. Droping EWR on islands also. They get blown up in first pass of enemy planes. So helos just drop vehicles for the slaughter. Feels like carrying glass of water to drop on a wildfire.

2 hours ago, Apok said:

The Tunb Identity:

Is it posible to drop AA by choppers on islands? (Shilka/Vulcan) Droping Ammo truck is pointless. Droping EWR on islands also. They get blown up in first pass of enemy planes. So helos just drop vehicles for the slaughter. Feels like carrying glass of water to drop on a wildfire.

APC's, Ammo trucks and EWR's only. Obviously the ammo trucks are not really needed and you shouldn't drop EWR's on the islands but rather elsewhere to have a better picture, or replace the lost EWR if that happens. So your main objective is to focus on deploying APC's 99% of the time.

I thought about adding AAA's and/or MANPAD's. However, I'm reluctant a bit as I had hoped for helicopters to provide some nice CAS when it would be nigh impossible against AAA's. The key is to destroy the enemy's speedboats or at least as many as possible while protecting yours. Meanwhile you have helicopters bringing in more APC's to have quite a big group of them. And with some cmdr operators, your APC's aren't just parked around waiting to get slaughtered.

The mission is up to many changes as I had quite many scenarios in my head while designing it. First I thought about making it in the 60's or late 50's with R-55's and GAR-8's only. Unguided rockets for both and only MiG-21's vs F-5's. So no MiG-19's and no AJS37's. I thought about adding attack helicopters. Infantries are also a possibility so it wont be that easy any more for fighters to spot and strafe them. However, infantries are not that good in DCS unfortunately. Or are they nowadays? Haven't check them out in a long time.

For now, I'll keep the mission as it is. The more feedback the better for me. Besides, it didn't look like Red had a ground commander while Blue did for quite a while. So it was somehow a bit imbalanced in that regard.

We'll see...

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments