Need some clarifications

Yup !

http://ts.nist.gov/WeightsAndMeasures/Metric/pub814.cfm

§ 204. Metric system authorized. - It shall be lawful throughout the United States of America to employ the weights and measures of the metric system; and no contract or dealing, or pleading in any court, shall be deemed invalid or liable to objection because the weights or measures expressed or referred to therein are weights or measures of the metric system. (14 Stat. 339, Adopted July 28,1866)

This only applies to exports, as the US is the only country worldwide to still use standard measurements.

Granted the automotive industry is swapping over, slowly but surely, but volumes, speed and tire size will be pretty standardized for many years to come. But the nuts and bolts holding the vehicles together will almost always be metric. At least thats how it looked to me when I was working on cars still.

• Like 1

While I prefer metric myself, you can change the F2 status bar to imperial in Options/Difficulty. Click the "Imperial" radio button (default is "Metric"). This won't change what you see in the cockpit but it does change the measurement units for the F2 status bar and the Mission Editor.

Rich

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG that makes life so much better

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whats so great about metrics? ...Till then Ill drink my gallon of beer and eat my 21oz of delicious porterhouse...NOT my 3.7843L of beer and my 453.59 grams of dazed and confused dead cow.

That's because you're thinking about it backwards. If we switched to metric we'd be talking about our 4L of beer (1.056688 gal.) and .6kg (21.16435 oz) of steak. That's what I've always found curious about our past attempts to adopt the metric standard. We didn't want, for example, to accrue the cost of moving road signs. So instead of moving the sign to read an even number of kilometers (eg 10km, 6.21 miles) to the next exit, we kept the sign where it was and made the metric measurement a decimal (eg 6 miles, 9.66km).

Rich

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

There are just two advantages to Imperial use in aviation from my experience:

1) A Nautical Mile conforms to one second of a degree of latitude (or longitude at the equator). This makes quick nav checks and planning relatively easy.

2) 1000 feet seems to be a very adequate vertical separation for planes on the same airway--although wake can still be a problem. With meters, we either lose that nice round number or we are stuck trying to fit all those airplanes into much wider vertical margins.

Both of these issues only really apply to civil aviation and have no bearing on this discussion.

And I otherwise agree, Imperial is archaic and cumbersome. Metric is unquestionably superior. The only reason we Americans haven't switched is because Reagan had everyone convinced that the Metric system was an instrument of Communists, Liberals, Scientists, and Gays.

Smokin' Hole

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

• ED Team

EscCtrl explained it very well. Also it is very strange to measure let's say IAS and vertical speed (both are the same - speeds) in different units.

In our development we are using SI (Systeme International d’Unites) - Kilogram, Meter, Second, Ampere, Kelvin...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• ED Team
Probably because its easier to talk about what you know best (imperial) but easier to work with metric.:D

Judging by my work (ED), designers are always a bit more conservative (in technical sense, not art)... ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.