Inlet Ice - should not happen unless in visible moisture

drallabco

Anyone who knows anything about aviation weather knows that for structural ice to form, the temp can be anywhere from 2°C to -20°C and that there must be visible moisture- clouds, rain, mist. I get that friggin inlet ice warning on every flight when it's clear and a million. Maybe DCS doesn't have a way to know if you're in visible moisture, but I'm pretty tired of hearing that advisory pop up when it's physically impossible that ice is forming.

Hadn't seen that before. Still no response from ED on the issue though. The natops even states conditions for when you get an inlet ice warning- .025 inches of ice on the left engine probe. This ice cannot form in these conditions, therefore, no warning should appear. You can see this info on the NATOPS page referenced in page two of that post you linked. Thanks for the info.

Considering DCS doesn’t simulate humidity or icing to begin with the inlet ice warning should've never been coded in the first place. At the very least it should’ve been disabled when it started popping up last summer.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Anyone who knows anything about aviation weather knows that for structural ice to form, the temp can be anywhere from 2°C to -20°C and that there must be visible moisture- clouds, rain, mist. I get that friggin inlet ice warning on every flight when it's clear and a million. Maybe DCS doesn't have a way to know if you're in visible moisture, but I'm pretty tired of hearing that advisory pop up when it's physically impossible that ice is forming.

I get your frustration, it's really annoying. Might I suggest that you do what I did? I inserted that item in my start up checklist: right after hook check, the manual makes you check the pitot heating (which shouldn't have any real effect right now). Well, I just turn on the pitot and the ice inlet heating and leave them active all the time. Problem solved.

Now, if only there was a definitive solution to the Home fuel advisory....

Considering DCS doesn’t simulate humidity or icing to begin with the inlet ice warning should've never been coded in the first place. At the very least it should’ve been disabled when it started popping up last summer.

You sure DCS doesn't simulate humidity? I thought it does :huh:

Edit: Nvm, it does not. It's on the ToDo-list though.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I get your frustration, it's really annoying. Might I suggest that you do what I did? I inserted that item in my start up checklist: right after hook check, the manual makes you check the pitot heating (which shouldn't have any real effect right now). Well, I just turn on the pitot and the ice inlet heating and leave them active all the time. Problem solved.

When I do this, I receive another warning...OVERHEAT ENG 1 (or something like that)..

:pilotfly: :joystick:

exactly what I do. Just added it as part of the startup check list. turn it on, and I'm done with it. :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Well, I just turn on the pitot and the ice inlet heating and leave them active all the time. Problem solved.

I have to confess I've not tried, but IIRC, if that works, it shouldn't. The ice detection probe is located upstream of the fan and in turn the bleed air providing inlet anti-ice. In otherwords, the inlet heat doesn't heat the detector; therefore the inlet ice warning (should) only tell you when icing conditions exists, not that the engines have been sufficiently heated themselves. I hope that makes sense.

You'll also get a performance penalty for having anti-ice on too.

You can change the Home waypoint to one closer to you, that might help.

You'll also get a performance penalty for having anti-ice on too.

Exactly. Anything that runs off the bleeds reduces engine power available because this pulls compressor air. This compressed air can then no longer be used in the combustor cans to combine with fuel and create power. Whether DCS models bleed air losses is something I'm not sure of, but until then, I'm gonna leave my engine heat off unless I'm actually flying in icing conditions.

Haven’t flown anything in a while, but the last few times I did, I noticed that you could cycle the waypoint on the fuel page to one that is nonexistant in the flight plan and it would go away.

With that being said, it would bug out and you could no longer cycle the steerpoint after that. Not sure if that still works or not as I’m a few beta releases behind.

I agree that visible moisture should be present to cause inlet ice.

The bigger point missed so far, at least in this thread, is that icing conditions for jets is based on RAT, not OAT. RAT increases with speed, so at temperatures slightly below zero outside air temperature, the RAT can be well above zero and icing should not occur in these conditions even with visible moisture. Clearly this is modeled incorrectly. Maybe the modeling just uses outside air temperature and doesn’t correct for this?

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT