Photos/Videos (NO DISCUSSION)

EvilBivol-1

It wasn't a gear up situation. From what I understand from initial reports, one side was stuck in down position, while the other side and nose gear were stuck in the up position. The pilot (test pilot, instructor) made several attempts to lower them (hydraulic, mechanicaly) and made a landing attampt to see if the down gear would go in, or others would become free, but with no success.

One gear langing doesn't seem to be a safe option on this aircraft:

In that case, yes ejection would be the only sensible choice, and the same would go for most aircraft. In the case of a total or nose only failure, or main gear failure and nose could be retracted or likewise for a single main a belly landing would be the usual course of action. If at all possible a landing is obviously to preferred mainly as ejection itself is a dangerous option and usual results in at least minor injuries, and of course saving the aircraft in order to determine the cause of the fault and prevent it occurring again on other aircraft.

It'll be interesting to see what the problem was in this case, if you see anything announced please let us know as I doubt it'll appear on any English websites or news sources.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

The aircraft fell into a lake and will be pulled out for investigation (witnesses say it floated on the surface for a time, meaning it was in some part intact). Current main consern is controling the liquids and other materials contaminating the water, since that lake is fairly small, but a major source of drinking water for the area.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

some pics I took of SAS Spioenkop a Valour class/MEKO class corvette traveling past my house.

sasspioenkop4.th.jpg

sasspioenkop3.th.jpg

sassieonkopcloseup.th.jpg

sasspioenkop5.th.jpg

sassieonkop2.th.jpg

sasspieonkop.th.jpg

p6020319.th.jpg

To INVENT an Airplane is Nothing.

To BUILD One is Something.

But to FLYis EVERYTHING.

- Otto Lilienthal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It was just carrying the 2 Paveway IVs and (empty) drop tanks, not that 1000lbs of HE isn't enough. As yet the board of inquiry report hasn't been published (still ongoing) so I don't have the facts, and wouldn't want to speculate for obvious reasons. No real info on the net, although there are forum threads discussing the crash on both pprune (pilots forum) and e-goat (RAF rumour forums) should you want to have a read.

Yep, good old Pprune... As someone already said on there - brave fire crews with all that ammo knocking about! Glad pilot ok, though I believe he was injured in the ejection - do you know how bad Eddie? Not being ghoulish I just hope he can/has return to flying ops. :thumbup:

......Glad pilot ok, though I believe he was injured in the ejection - do you know how bad Eddie? Not being ghoulish I just hope he can/has return to flying ops. :thumbup:

From what I've heard he walked, well hobbled, away. He just suffered minor injuries caused by the ejection. It's a near certainty that injuries will be sustained on ejection, going from 0 - 30+ Gs in 0.5 seconds is a tad violent.

I'm not sure if the pilot has returned to flight status, as I don't have any involvement with the magical hover fleet, but doing so would require him to pass a full medical. If he has ejected from an aircraft previously (always possible in the magical hover fleet) it is highly unlikely that he'd have been allowed to fly a fast jet again due the the damage caused to the spine. Generally after 2 ejections your fast jet career is over.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Nice ship but isn`t it too big for a corvette? It looks more like a frigate :huh:

There is a bit of a debate surrounding that issue. Most belive that it is a Frigate but the goverment is calling it a corvette so as not to sound as threatening.

Politics you know.

To INVENT an Airplane is Nothing.

To BUILD One is Something.

But to FLYis EVERYTHING.

- Otto Lilienthal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4/6/10 - Boo - vid removed! Why do they do that...

OPSEC/PERSEC dude. You can't publish videos/photos from inside the Afghan bases without formal approval, for various reasons.

Spoiler

From what I've heard he walked, well hobbled, away. He just suffered minor injuries caused by the ejection. It's a near certainty that injuries will be sustained on ejection, going from 0 - 30+ Gs in 0.5 seconds is a tad violent.

I'm not sure if the pilot has returned to flight status, as I don't have any involvement with the magical hover fleet, but doing so would require him to pass a full medical. If he has ejected from an aircraft previously (always possible in the magical hover fleet) it is highly unlikely that he'd have been allowed to fly a fast jet again due the the damage caused to the spine. Generally after 2 ejections your fast jet career is over.

That is not the case in Russia, look at Anatoly Kvochur he has ejected twice and he still going, or maybe the russian ejection seats are better?

The ejection seats typical G is closer to 12 AFAIK.

When you give a G value any time values are obsolete as you can't accelerate from v1 to v2 during two different time periods (delta t) getting the same G ;)

As for ejections ending pilots' careers - I've heard of that. Hence the meaning of the zero-zero ejection seat joke :) Polish jet trainers TS-11 Iskra (Spark) still have the old type ejection seats thrown away using a single explosive charge (oh yeah) similarly to ACs like MiG-15. The turboprop trainers of Polish Air Force, PZL-130 Orlik, has a two-stage explosive Martin Baker ejection seat AFAIR. Both are not to be compared to any rocket motor designs like K-36 of course.

Edited by Bucic

That is not the case in Russia, look at Anatoly Kvochur he has ejected twice and he still going, or maybe the russian ejection seats are better?

It's not written in stone, if an individual were to be passed fit after the medical of course they could return to flight. It's the exception rather than the rule.

Spoiler

Really puts it into perspective doesn't it! It's a struggle to beat the can of WhipA$$ the Hog serves up :gun_smilie:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Wow, I did not know that, where in the A-10 do they put the volkswagen beetle? :D:smartass:

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..