JDAM vs. LGBs

VC

Not totally out thread … I noticed since a while that the last second or two before hitting, the Gbu38 starts "dancing" left / right - the Gbu12 laser doesn't do that in same conditions (it goes strait to target untill impact).

I thought it was maybe due to "ground wind" but the Lgb is not affected so … maybe to "simulate" less precision with Gbu38 ?

(BTW, when aiming with TGP with area track, looking for closest contact between ground and target, Gbu38 hits on target IME)

Both GBU 38 and GBU 12 use the "bang-bang" kind of guidance. That means that the guidance correction are not continuous but on stages.

Each time the bomb correct itself you will notice that "dancing" GBU 12 have much tighter launch window, so the corrections are minimal while the JDAM can and will glide to the target with more corrections over time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you sure that GBU38s have bang-bang guidance? I always thought that this only applies to Paveway I and II. :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sorry it's due to wind. I've recorded 2 scenarios (with 1 Gbu38 + 1 Gbu12 on 2 T90 on same run for the 2 scenarios).

1st scenario there is ground wind, 2nd no wind. With wind the Gbu38 is violently dancing left-right 1-2 sec before hit, without wind it goes strait to target. Gbu12 goes strait in both cases.

It's curious that Gbu38 and Gbu12 are behaving differently BTW !?

12vs38wind.trk

12vs38nowind.trk

Edited by toutenglisse
tracks

...8 JSOW spam from 25 NM in 1 minute never gets old though... if only they fixed BLU bomblets to be more potent...

OMG this^. I've been practicing using JSOW-A but I gave up on them. They're just like the CBU 99 & 20s, too inconsistent. Yes, I do get a few units here & there, but I cant find a good altitude, speed, & burst height to use these more effectively.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Agree on the JSOW...not enough punch for the money. The other issue with them is they are so susceptible to SAM defense (in DCS), so while they may be great for a undefended RADAR sites they're shit if any Tors or Tunguskas are in the neighborhood. I'm not sure why anyone would leave a RADAR site unprotected.

Going back to the original post question of 'JDAM vs. LGBs', I think it's all about the mission targets and how to plan an effective outcome. I'm sure many flights have been redirected when it was recognized that they had the wrong 'hardware solution'.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Both GBU 38 and GBU 12 use the "bang-bang" kind of guidance. That means that the guidance correction are not continuous but on stages.

Each time the bomb correct itself you will notice that "dancing" GBU 12 have much tighter launch window, so the corrections are minimal while the JDAM can and will glide to the target with more corrections over time.

JDAM does not use Bang-Bang guidance.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB