Current State of Hornet Countermeasures

dores893

1. Has the ASPG Jammer been implemented yet?

2. Is the ALE-47 still limited to MAN mode?

3. What is the correct sequence to initiate a manual mode program on the ALE-47 after one has been selected? Pressing the dispense button seems to jettison all of the countermeasures.

Thanks,

Jim

1) Nope, not implemented yet.

2) Yes, SEMI and AUTO are not yet available AFAIK.

3) You have a countermeassure dispense switch on your HOTAS, which can start the selected program if pressed in one direction and can start program 5 if pressed in the other direction. Unfortunately I can't tell you out of my head which direction was which. Personally I usually use program 1 as a chaff programm and program 5 as a flare program (sometimes mixed with a little chaff as well depending on the situation), so I have chaff and flare programs at a ready if needed.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I can answer no.3

There are 3 countermeasure binds in hornet; Dispense Button, Dispense Switch - Aft, Dispense Switch - Forward.

Dispense Button is the panic switch that will run the panic program and dispense some 20 odd flares and chaff.

Aft will run the selected program in normal operation

Forward will run program 5 in normal operation

Ensure that you have the correct switch bound and that the programs are set up correctly

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Correct me if I am wrong. with MAN mode selected,my understanding is with the dispenser switch in the "on" position, forward dispenser will fire the selected program, aft will fire program #5. with the switch in "bypass" fwd will fire chaff and aft will fire flares.

The Dispense Switch goes UP or DOWN as opposed to forward or aft, but I don't know which one runs program 5 (or even what program 5 does). I usually run program 3. I have bound the UP button and if that doesn't work, I'll bind the DOWN button.

And I agree that we should be able to set it up on the ground (I'm pretty sure you can in the real hornet). I hate setting it up in the air, because sometimes I forget to do it. There is no worse feeling that being fired at and, as you go defensive, you look down and see standby on your countermeasures. :)

RedKite has a YT video entitled, "DCS Custom Countermeasure Profile Presets Tutorial" that walks you through editing the .lua file so that every time you get in the jet you custom profile is already loaded. This is super easy to do, and I've found that it works great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-----------------------

i9 9900K | Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB | 64 GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD | 850 Watt Power Supply with Liquid Cooling | Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet™ HOTAS Add-On Grip | TPR Pendular Rudders | Warthog Dual Throttles | Track IR5 | Foxx Mounts Stick and Throttle | Massdrop AKG K7XX w SBX G6 DAC | Corsair K70 RGB Platinum | G903 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse | Acer XR382CQK

The Dispense Switch goes UP or DOWN as opposed to forward or aft, but I don't know which one runs program 5 (or even what program 5 does). I usually run program 3. I have bound the UP button and if that doesn't work, I'll bind the DOWN button.

And I agree that we should be able to set it up on the ground (I'm pretty sure you can in the real hornet). I hate setting it up in the air, because sometimes I forget to do it. There is no worse feeling that being fired at and, as you go defensive, you look down and see standby on your countermeasures. :)

Wags teased this as a possible upcoming feature last year. No updates since then.

Link here

The Dispense Switch goes UP or DOWN as opposed to forward or aft, but I don't know which one runs program 5 (or even what program 5 does).

Negative. The dispense switch on the Hornet throttle moves forward and aft, and it's labeled as such in the control bindings.

With the dispenser switch set to "ON" aft fires the currently selected manual program, forward fires program #5. Programs 1 - 5 can be changed from the EW page, and for some reason you can also manually select program #5 which would make both fore and aft do the same thing.

You can also semi-permanently edit all 6 manual programs (1 - 5 and the panic DISP wall button) by changing the values in the CMDS_ALE47.lua file located at Mods\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\TEWS\Device. This file will be overwritten every time DCS World updates.

I wonder what's so special about program 5?

I think it's so you have a program you can change and a program that's constant. Interestingly, in the ALE47.lua program 5 is commented as "chaff single" while none of the others have comments (other than 6).

I'm wrong. Bunny is correct. The dispense swich goes forward and aft. The dispenser switch goes up and down. I wonder what's so special about program 5?

The program 5 will dispense from the CMS Up, while selected program (1, 2, 3 or 4) will dispense from CMS Down. So, effectively you can have two programs at your disposal at the same time. Additionally there is the "DISP" button on the side for really nasty situations.

It's pretty handy actually. PGM 1 in general for chaff, PGM 5 for flares, and DISP for when you don't know what's coming.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

1) Nope, not implemented yet.

2) Yes, SEMI and AUTO are not yet available AFAIK.

3) You have a countermeassure dispense switch on your HOTAS, which can start the selected program if pressed in one direction and can start program 5 if pressed in the other direction. Unfortunately I can't tell you out of my head which direction was which. Personally I usually use program 1 as a chaff programm and program 5 as a flare program (sometimes mixed with a little chaff as well depending on the situation), so I have chaff and flare programs at a ready if needed.

I thought that S/A was already implemented, that explains some things haha

Regarding your doubt, AFT activates selected program, FWD activates program 5 which are 2 flare + 2 chaff if I recall correctly.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

The program 5 will dispense from the CMS Up, while selected program (1, 2, 3 or 4) will dispense from CMS Down. So, effectively you can have two programs at your disposal at the same time. Additionally there is the "DISP" button on the side for really nasty situations.

It's pretty handy actually. PGM 1 in general for chaff, PGM 5 for flares, and DISP for when you don't know what's coming.

Sounds like you might be confusing it for the viper. Hornet doesn't have a CMS up or down

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Sounds like you might be confusing it for the viper. Hornet doesn't have a CMS up or down

True. Well, FWD / AFT then, the essence is the same.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Regarding your doubt, AFT activates selected program, FWD activates program 5 which are 2 flare + 2 chaff if I recall correctly.

I always edit program 1 and program 5 after takeoff to make program 1 a chaff only program and program 5 a pure flare program or a flare + chaff program, depending on the situation.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I believe a lot of misunderstanding stems from in the “controls” settings there are 2 switches named “dispenser” switch. One moves fwd and aft as discussed on page 61(see below).

The other “dispenser” switch on page 173 (see below) is also a 3 position switch, up and down. It should IMHO be called the “dispenser mode switch). Positions are off, on and bypass.

Functions as noted below.

Fig 24 pg 61

Dispense Switch, AFT – OFF – FWD. This three-way switch allows manual and semi-automatic use of the ALE-47 countermeasure system. • Forward [E]. Start EW countermeasure program. Each press of the switch will initiate the program set on the EW page. • Center. No function. • Aft [D]. Dispense single chaff / flare in manual mode.

Fig 173 Pg295

Dispenser Mode Select Switch. This switch has three positions: •

OFF: Turns the CMDS power off and ALE-47 legend on the EW page has an X through it. However, the ECM JETT button will still function. • BYPASS. This selection bypasses the countermeasure programmer and will release a single chaff or single flare based on the HOTAS countermeasure release command. When set to bypass, the ALE-47 indication on the DDI EW page will have a dash through it and the EW page BIT element will indicate NOT RDY

ON: When set to on, there is a five second warm up period and a BIT is conducted. After five seconds, it is ready for operation. When in ON mode, the release modes of STBY, MAN, SEMI, and AUTO can be selected. o When first set to ON, SF TEST will appear for five seconds below the EW legends on the DDI EW page. After which, PBIT GO will be displayed for ten seconds. Once that is complete, OFF or the selected mode will be displayed.