Engine Damage Model

iFoxRomeo

For the sake of formality, as I hope that ED is aware of it...but so mutch time passed since ea beginning.

There is no engine damage model for overstressing.

Over rev, overtemperature and extensive use of emergency power causes no damage. You can fly with closed cooling flaps and full throttle till you're out of fuel and nothing happens. Setting the rpm to max via manual prop governour and full throttle is also possible. Dropping from very high altitude and manual gov to high rpm brings the rpm far far above the rpm maximum indication, but nothing happens.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• 1 month later...

+1

I've tried, as have others, to deliberately overstress the engine and it's just not currently possible in DCS. You can firewall it while in an aggressive constant horizontal turn until it runs out of gas

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

+1

Is impossible to blow up the engine, really unfair un MP scenarios and very unrealistic. We really need a roadmap for this aircraft.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I bet, once ED introduce engine damage, ppl on forum will star complain that engine is too weak, i barely touch 1.3 ATA and engine will be dead

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

+1

Is impossible to blow up the engine, really unfair un MP scenarios and very unrealistic. We really need a roadmap for this aircraft.

Given the current sad state of the A8, I can't see how it could possibly be unfair. Unrealistic -> yes, but not unfair.

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Given the current sad state of the A8, I can't see how it could possibly be unfair. Unrealistic -> yes, but not unfair.

Agree, right now A8 is super out classed against Spit and 51D :)

Super difficult to fly MP

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

We really need a roadmap for this aircraft.

This.

It feels like there is still a lot of stuff missing from the module and we have no clue what is still missing, what is being worked on (if anything) and in what order they will add the missing features.

Last patch we got some non-functional cluster bombs which was a ray of hope but also confusing, because as a normal user I am wondering why they dont just port working features from the D-9 as a first step, like the SC 500 & rockets.

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

\because as a normal user I am wondering why they dont just port working features from the D-9 as a first step, like the SC 500 & rockets.

For example, because they can't ?

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a number of tests with different temperatures and altitudes but even with the latest update it still seems impossible to overstress the engine. I must say I find that somewhat irritating now that the module is officially out of early access ... this is such an essential feature for a WWII bird. Is the engine damage model supposed to be implemented along with the new damage model? Does anyone have any info?

So, back to topic....

Made a testflight with the "now out of EA" Anton.

Testconditions:

40°C OAT

No Wind

Severe sunshine

50minutes full throttle (4*Left CTRL+Y)

Prop gov manual

Fine pitch

Cowling flaps fully closed

-> Engine RPM 3500rpm and above

-> Oil temperature: 100°C++

-> ATA went once, for a minute or so, to 1,8

-->Nothing happens

Is this supposed to be that way?

Track attached, but replay doesn't work. Crashing shortly after takeoff.

Went out of fuel before landing. Tacview added.

Fox

Tacview-20200323-160523-DCS-Testenvironment_stwx.txt.zip

Spoiler

So, back to topic....

Made a testflight with the "now out of EA" Anton.

Testconditions:

40°C OAT

No Wind

Severe sunshine

50minutes full throttle (4*Left CTRL+Y)

Prop gov manual

Fine pitch

Cowling flaps fully closed

-> Engine RPM 3500rpm and above

-> Oil temperature: 100°C++

-> ATA went once, for a minute or so, to 1,8

-->Nothing happens

Is this supposed to be that way?

Fox

Yep that's what I did, too with the same results. Had a look at the manual and it says what's to be expected: to not exceed 3 minutes at 1.42 ATA etc ... So I guess the answer is no - I'm puzzled what made them declare this module "out of early access" at this point.

• ED Team

The damage model for high power radials was planned as new for DCS (P-47 and 190A), so we could not complete it because it requires a lot of checks, tests , etc not to release it with unexpected failures.

Another reason is that the whole concept of engine reliability is being changed now - some restriction will be weakened but there are some new restrictions ,especially for radials handling, that will make your flights not so careless.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

The damage model for high power radials was planned as new for DCS (P-47 and 190A), so we could not complete it because it requires a lot of checks, tests , etc not to release it with unexpected failures.

Another reason is that the whole concept of engine reliability is being changed now - some restriction will be weakened but there are some new restrictions ,especially for radials handling, that will make your flights not so careless.

Hi Yo-yo, great to hear it. Can you share how far along the new engine model is? Will we see it before the P-47, at least, or is it set to come with the P-47, or some time after?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• ED Team
Hi Yo-yo, great to hear it. Can you share how far along the new engine model is? Will we see it before the P-47, at least, or is it set to come with the P-47, or some time after?

I hope the new model will be ready for both radials as P-47 is available for EA. Then we plan to give some care to inline engines.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thanks, that clears it up :thumbup:

I hope the new model will be ready for both radials as P-47 is available for EA. Then we plan to give some care to inline engines.

Thank you Yo-Yo for the info. Hope to see it soon. Can't wait to destroy the engine in many different ways :D

Will Anton get the boost increase then?

I hope the Yak is in the loop too.

Fox

Spoiler

Is the term "Early Access" just entirely arbitrary?

Hey, excreta happens. They hope the radial engine model will be ready by the time the Hog goes EA, as explained by Yo-Yo yesterday.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 3 months later...
  • ED Team

Will be added for all radial engines, so - in the same time as P-47 gets it.